1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Please, someone educate me on why a grey check/gingham shirt is inherently casual? I mean, except for the use of French cuffs (I would've preferred regular buttons), the shirt didn't particularly strike me as inappropriate for this outfit? On paper, I understand the reasons, but seeing it in the flesh? I'm not particularly offended!

I like your trousers @colco , are they Luxire?

We don't see white ties around a lot. I'm still undecided if I like them or not. Although the jacket/shirt/pocket square matching is lovely (still, I'm pretty sure someone will stand up and elaborate on why a white shirt is not the most appropriate choice in this setting).

Looking forward to more fit pictures from a fellow CDN!

2. colco

colco Senior member

@ShawnBC, thank you, they are Corneliani for Polo

1 person likes this.
  3. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I agree. Gingham shirts with a high contrast (like navy blue/white) or a non-standard colour (red or purple) are very much casual, but the light blue/white here looks ok to me. And I think gentlemen in the City wouldn't mind either.
    What bothers me more in @SYCSYC 's fit , in addition to what @jcmeyer already wrote, is the really bad fit of the suit...

2 people like this.
  4. colco

colco Senior member

When I saw the fit, and jcmeyer's feedback I thought that is was a fairly typical British look of a somewhat strongly patterned shirt paired with a conservative suit. I do not like the shirt collar, I think the combo works though.

1 person likes this.
  5. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

More than happy to be incorrect about the shirt pattern, especially if it has something to do with regional tastes, but to me gingham of any color is a formality mismatch with a conservative/worsted suit - though especially with charcoal. Checks could be fine, stripes too obviously. Maybe really smalle scale gingham in the lighter contrast that @EliodA mentioned (that effectively resolves to a solid), but at that larger scale I just don't see it working. YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. Koala-T

Koala-T Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. ShawnBC

ShawnBC Senior member

Thank you for the answer!

This was my idea as well (although I could be very wrong) that gingham and checks of high contrast or vivid colors very much more casual than their low contrast, toned down colors counterparts (very light brown, grey and blues). But this is simply an opinion, not a fact.

I was strictly speaking of the shirt color and pattern. I, too, do not like the shirt collar and the use of French cuffs.

8. Seamless

Seamless Senior member

I want this tie.

2 people like this.
  9. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Senior member

Isn't a gingham shirt with a conservative suit and solid tie a fairly standard London combo?

Casual today. Not sure what was up with the front of my coat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.
  10. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

A darker tie or a blue shirt would be better here.

11. Lucan

Lucan Senior member

This is more my everyday look, white shirt and blue tie.
    Kamakura shirt is on it's first wear, and I'm really pleased with it, but was too impatient to wash it before wearing. Do they shrink a little after the first wash? I could do with the sleeves coming up half an inch (I 'manually adjusted' for this pic).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit - M&S Sartorial with Alfred Brown fabric - dark grey herringbone
    Tie - Lewin
    Shirt - Kamakura
    Links - Dalvey
    Belt - Bexley

5 people like this.
  12. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

Actually, I'm away from home atm and just brought with me a part of the stuff I own. I somehow need to think of what I will wear up to the end of the weeks and so may have made some choices that would have been better if I had all of my shirts available.
    That being said, I have often been told to go more formal around a bolder piece, so it somehow seemed legit to me to mix casual shirt with conservative suit, PS and tie.

I want to add here that I thank you guys for your opinions and advices. This suit is an older one, but those I purchased recently meet most of the key figures that you suggest me to wear. And they indeed look good.

Quote: Suit happens to be from TM Lewin, for what it's worth on the analysis

Quote: Well, maybe you are right.
    I'd say that the more it looks kind of plain from a distance, the more it could be seen as formal.

Quote: I'm a french guy and I love french cuffs... You all will have to bear with it. And pointy shoes, too :) (although, I may reconsider this in my next purchases)

1 person likes this.
  13. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

@SYCSYC , whether your defence is successfull or not, you've certainly convinced the jury because your fit is on the front page. Congrats! [​IMG]
    (where is the suit from?)

14. sartorialscott

sartorialscott New Member

New member and first post - so hi all!

Taking advantage of the sun in London today with light grey frescos and half lined jacket. New EG Laughtons on the 890 last.

Apologies for the poor quality pics but my wife refuses to fuel my narcissism.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18 people like this.
  15. mcobinad

mcobinad Senior member

Looks linen to me. Like it :slayer:

16. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

First time contributing to this thread, hi gents! Also, coincidentally my first time wearing a white tie. I don't have a decent picture taking setup at the moment, so the selfie'll have to do. [​IMG] I like this a lot. I've been curious about ties like that, wondering how to pair them. IMO you got it right. Not terribly versatile, to be sure, but I may have to "kop" one.

17. Sander

Sander Senior member

Er... that was my... twin brother who... is not German at all because that makes total sense. :lol:

I think that night he actually wasn't.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  18. SYCSYC

SYCSYC Senior member

It's TM Lewin from a few years ago.

By the way, can you or anyone else explain what makes an outfit appear on the front page? It's certainly not the number of thumbs, as I have seen much more thumbed outfit around my post. And they deserved it.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  19. kulata

kulata Senior member

I thought the days of gingham shirts with ties war were long over and we won.

20. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

I think that depends on which side of the war you were fighting on. For myself, I thought that SycSyc's ensemble was perfectly fine.

3 people like this.