• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First wear of the burgundy solid Serraicco tie!

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would love suggest on how to wear this tan with blue windowpane wool/inen jacket. I always struggle with how to pair them even though I love the color and fabric. I feel like an improvement would have been a green tie or orange. Pants, I always assume light or mid grey or safe but I am open to other suggestions. Have a great day everyone!

(Again apologies for angle, the camera is rather low and emphasizes the midsection in a fish eye sort of way).

Details

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Feedback invited.

I'm starting to like navy linen trousers as a summer substitute for jeans, but I am quite certain that I need tan shoes to replace these.

Austin Hill
Turnbull & Asser shirt
Cheap navy linen trousers
Bass Weejuns

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would love suggest on how to wear this tan with blue windowpane wool/inen jacket. I always struggle with how to pair them even though I love the color and fabric. I feel like an improvement would have been a green tie or orange. Pants, I always assume light or mid grey or safe but I am open to other suggestions. Have a great day everyone!

(Again apologies for angle, the camera is rather low and emphasizes the midsection in a fish eye sort of way).

Details

Try cream (lighter than the jacket anyway) trousers should work (linen would likely be your best choice, given the fabric of the jacket). As for ties, orange would probably be nice, and blue-ish green probably works OK. I actually would sugest trying out a red/burgundy tie, it might work, especially with a blue shirt. ..

Last edited:

JHT652

Reaction score

Thanks for the comments, guys. It's certainly a little out there, but that's what makes it fun. The whole outfit has a bit of a retro 60s/70s vibe to it. The high rise brown duck canvas trousers and the tucked in patterned popover work well with my vintage sports watch, tortoise shell shades, beard and relatively classic hard parted and tapered hair cut. It's not an everyday look, but it's nice to do something different once in a while. It's nowhere the crazy stuff I used to wear in my streetwear days though.

We need to see a full length shot of this ensemble :)

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Citan1145, I think either cream or very light grey would work well. I don't love the look with medium grey (while I am not as adamant about contrast between jacket and trouser as some here, I think that tan and medium grey is an example where contrast helps). I have generally found tan linen jackets very difficult to pair successfully (tan jacket with navy trousers looks far less nice than the reverse and I am about 95% in the no navy odd trousers with tailored jacket camp too). I bought a tan linen suit with patch pockets with some intention of wearing the pants and jacket as separates but every time I have decided to wear the jacket I wear the matching trousers too.

@YRR92, count me among the people who do not love tan shoes with navy, even in the middle of summer. I think that something in a medium or even dark brown could be very elegant, however. I do think that tan looks better than black in that context, though.

Cleav

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

As for initimidation, it doesn't stop fellow shoppers at Brooks Bros. from addressing me as the sales help.

I always take that as a complement, I think, do you?

That said I wish that sometimes I had the fleet of mind to say "Of course sir, though shall I enquire as to one more palatable for a gentleman"?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@YRR92 , count me among the people who do not love tan shoes with navy, even in the middle of summer. I think that something in a medium or even dark brown could be very elegant, however. I do think that tan looks better than black in that context, though.
Thank you. I lean towards the darker shades of tan myself: something like a british tan would be my preference. Medium brown would also be good. Looking at these pictures, I think I "get" why the internet is obsessed with unlined snuff suede Alden LHS: those would be great with this kind of thing (and if those shoes had a lining, I would give up on them). Also, if I decide to buy decent linen trousers, I think I'd go after a lighter shade of navy than these.

And yeah, Monkeyface, a full length would be killer. I think you just convinced me to pack my late '60s paisley BD shirt for my upcoming trip.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you. I lean towards the darker shades of tan myself: something like a british tan would be my preference. Medium brown would also be good. Looking at these pictures, I think I "get" why the internet is obsessed with unlined snuff suede Alden LHS: those would be great with this kind of thing (and if those shoes had a lining, I would give up on them). Also, if I decide to buy decent linen trousers, I think I'd go after a lighter shade of navy than these.

And yeah, Monkeyface, a full length would be killer. I think you just convinced me to pack my late '60s paisley BD shirt for my upcoming trip.

You know you want spectators.

Also, white suede bucks.

Last edited:

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Details

I would personally pair with brown (like the brown in your tie) or navy pants, but I realize one or both of those decisions would be mocked/ridiculed/flamed/sneered at by some on this board.

Last edited:

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sos about the necro quote CD, but I didn't see this b4 and I think it's well-proportioned and really top notch.

You can necro-quote any time so long as it includes a compliment. Thanks, Pliny.

I think medium gray looks nice, you could also go for chocolate brown or, as suggested, cream, but it would have to be reeeeally creamy. I also agree with @CousinDonuts that navy would work, but I am one of the few that approves of navy pants.

Got this Conrad Wu tie for father's day, giving it a spin today:

In hindsight I think I would have worn an OCBD and more casual trousers. Oh well.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know you want spectators.

Also, white suede bucks.
Yo, there's a really nice pair of AE for RL mid-brown pennies with an off-white suede vamp that I might try to pick up as seconds sometime. Spectator bals seem like a way to spend money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Bucks would have been good -- I have dirty buck saddles, but they have some plastic somewhere in their construction and they wear rather warm. Better ones would be a great idea -- though I'd have to go for dirty bucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads