1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Distinguished Member

Tangerine is not in my vocabulary for colours. Pink is close enough, but now that I look closer it looks kinda like orange. Doesn't change my opinion though.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone call a colour tangerine before. We call that orange over here.

That waistcoat should be worn with dark tweed or flannel suits, with wool ties in rustic colours. It has no place with a light jacket and trousers.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015

2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

OK, so is it pink, or is it orange? Actually I would call it a paisley tie with a tangerine base. Yes, tangerine is a colour - a tertiary colour. There's also a bit of tangerine in the centre of my boutonnière.

Quote: The jacket in my fit is actually a flannel; one shade lighter than navy; and part of a suit. I don't think navy would work - there would be insufficient contrast. But I could try the waistcoat with the whole suit. It might work.

I am bemused by your loathing of the trousers in this fit.

3. Monkeyface

Dark waistcoats are just very hard to wear. Ideally, it should be lighter than your suit/jacket. Moreover, the jacket, trousers, loafers and tie are city, while the material, the colour/pattern and leather buttons of the waistcoast are very country. So you've got a city/country mismatch here.

Then you have the colours, the tangerine, navy, purple and cream (?) don't really work well together. Get rid of the purple socks and the contrasting loafers and it would be much better already.

Next to that, you have winter materials but summer colours. Cream trousers can be awesome in winter, as long as you keep the rest of colour palette muted. They're a statement piece on their own. Anyways, the cream trousers, orange tie, purple socks and lapel flower are all summery colours, but you're wearing a winter fit!

It's because things are off on so many different levels that I called it a trainwreck. Had you done only of these things, city/country, winter/summer, the dark waistcoat/light colours contrast, the clashing colours, it would've been ok. But everything together is just too much.

4. kulata

kulata Distinguished Member

Now Monkeyface come on man! It's a rakish look and good for what it is. Wish the pants were more textured but that's just to add to the look.

Why are you criticizing loafers though when you often rock them inappropriately in your recent fits? :D

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Distinguished Member

Ok, well, there's more grunt to that critique. I can dig it.

Socks = bad. Loafers...maybe. But seems the single thing that throws the fit off the most is the waistcoat itself.

I will consider.

Edit: I withdraw that. The problem with my fit, and you did finally identify it in your last post MF, is that the top half is autumn/winter while the bottom half is spring/summer.

At least, that's the problem I see. (Hindsight is always 20:20)

6. Monkeyface

I'm not hating on the loafers individually. I just dislike the combination of all the aforementioned things. One of those elements is fine, but combine them all and it just doesn't work. It's the context they're being worn in.

Also, you might not notice it, but I usually only post pics on here if I'm not sure about something. I read all the feedback, take a look again myself, and I might very well never wear that particular combination again.

They're experiments, and sometimes (more often than not) they fail, but that's where it gets interesting. Figuring out why it failed. And once in a while you find something that actually works.

I've grown tired of posting tried and tested outfits, that I know work well, even though that's what I wear 6 days out of 7. I enjoy wearing them, but I don't get much out of posting them here anymore. That might not be the case for everyone, and that's totally fine, but for me it is.

7. TM79

TM79 Distinguished Member

re: Cox's fit - yeah, I didn't mind some pieces separately but didn't like them all combined. The tie and PS just aren't my personal taste so I can't say much more there.

The waistcoat does look out of place with the rest of the choices to me, and I am not sure if that shirt was the best choice. Everything seems sort of stuck in purgatory between rustic and refined. I know I'm not wording it the best way - just didn't pass the eye test to me.

And I'm with MF - that's why I don't post fit pics. I know all my stuff fits well because I mostly do bespoke and MTM these days, and I also only wear SF "approved" things because I work in finance. That party already has enough dudes - decided it didn't need a +1 a while ago. I still enjoy browsing this thread and others, though. It's how I learned about a lot of makers of clothing I'd never heard of in the past.

8. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Spring has arrived in Stockholm. I've shed the winter fur and am now, yet again, pondering whether I'm a moustachio guy or not. I'll try it out for a week or so, before making a decision.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Academic2

Academic2 Distinguished Member

As always, very nice.

May I bother you for details on the shirt (I'm in the market for a Tattersall or similar large check shirt)? Thanks.

Cheers,

Ac

10. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl The Moral Squirrel Dubiously Honored Moderator

11. Braddock

Braddock Senior Member

12. Albert Hal

Albert Hal Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The first really sunny day in Stockholm this season was celebrated with a hat and overcoat from the 50´s and other vintage or second hand stuff; A Daniel Hechter Harris tweed jacket, a RL- shirt and RL waist coat. An old tie & p.sq. from the 60´s. Second hand shoes from Crocket & Jones. But the Oscar Jacobsson trousers I bought brand new a few years ago. It´s very hard to find used corderoy pants in good condition.

13. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

Cheers!

It's from a Swedish shirt brand called Stenströms. It's a couple of years old though, so I don't know if you can find it anymore.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Moustache is fine, EFV

15. MGD83

MGD83 Distinguished Member

@EFV you look like more of a beard guy. Lose the 'stache