• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today. Similar to yesterday.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I decided to try something a little different - use a well-liked fit from another member as inspiration for something of my own.

What better person to emulate than
foo.gif
?

And here's my tribute - a little different, of course...

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
End of the week pic. Wishing everybody a great and safe weekend.

Think u may have 'pattern-mania'. As a fellow sufferer (in recovery) I know the signs. I wouldn't try to go cold turkey. Better to gently reduce by say one pattern for a couple weeks, see how you get used to it. If okay, drop it back again. Don't rush it, and try to avoid 'triggers' that'll tempt you to fall off the wagon- SF meet-ups, scrolling thru early Whnay's good taste thread, posts by members like Crusty, or Southern Style. Remember to block AAS. Before you know it you'll be wearing all solids, and looking back you'll wonder what all the fuss was about.

Day 5 thanks again for the thumbs! Tweed, Knit and Oxford.

another good one DL.

Ring suit on maiden voyage
Mazzarelli
Henry carter
Drakes
Enzo Bonafe

Nice! As in 'Ring Jacket' Ring?

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the jacket sleeves, the SC is MTO Formosa from NMWA (that answers your question @Betelgeuse ), there was a snafu when the jacket first arrived which needed alteration. Formosa fixed the issue, but for some reason they finished the sleeves, and I have short arms, so that was the only solution. At first it bugged me, but it has since grown on me. I think its spunky and different.

wasn't it possible to take up the sleeves at the shoulder? not the easiest fix, but it avoids messing up the cuff like they did here.

Possible yes, but I have done it before, and am not a fran. With the amount of fabric that would have needed to be removed to get the right length, the sleeve pitch, particularly by the elbow, would be way off. And when that happens the sleeves become uncomfortable, the elbow bend being in the wrong place and what have you. This fix, although suboptimal visually, it leaves the pitch and comfort of the arms as is. Optimally, having new sleeves entirely would have been the best fix, but that was not a reasonable option.

I understand what you mean about difficulties with having jacket sleeves taken up at the shoulders, and entirely agree with the points that you make.

However, I'm at a bit of a loss as to why you decided to accept an MTO jacket when it had problems like that. I suppose that there's a point where you might decide not to bother further with things but if you're paying $1500 or $2000 or whatever an MTO Formosa jacket costs, it would (to me) seem entirely reasonable to send the jacket back to get things sorted out if Formosa finished the sleeves when they weren't supposed to have done so.

After all, if it's MTO and the sleeves are finished to the wrong length, then it's not really MTO, is it? Well, not MTO made to your order specifications, anyway. If you're paying good money, then it's up to the tailor to sort things out to your satisfaction, even if it means fitting a new set of sleeves to the jacket so that they can be made the correct length.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^ agreed

My guess, though, is that Stitchy and gdl are tight, and for whatever reason, Stitchy didn't want to bother gdl with the issue. Or it could just be that Stitchy was super eager to have the jacket and didn't want to wait.

Not decisions I'd make. But I'm not Stitchy.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, it is Wool Linen Silk Cashmere by E.Thomas, from SuitSupply (Soho fit). Of course, I don't want to answer in @Betelgeuse place, just thought I'd help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads