1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:nodding:

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

David, I am in a one-on-one service industry too. Trying to do your best for all your clients is the ideal foundation for a business plan, and I commend you for this.

It's difficult not to get defensive when your online reputation is being brought into question, but the temptation to react with a knee-jerk exculpatory post is best resisted. GuP's result is problematic, and I think you are best served simply to acknowledge this and offer him redress in the form of another fitting and some adjustments to fix the shoulder problem. Sure, the price was not excessive, you did your best at the time, and anyone can make mistakes on an "off" day. Most of us have been around the block with our various tailors and we recognise that tailoring is an art, not an exact science.

Like I say, just offer your client a solution, let him post the results here, and I guarantee that the 99% of us who aren't dickheads will go "that guy is cool, he acknowledges an imperfect result and fixes it". Your reputation will not suffer; indeed it will be enhanced.

12 people like this.
  3. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hey guys, if you're interested in following my and my fiancée Erica's coverage of Pitti Uomo 88 (lots of pictures), I've just posted a thread. Also, don't forget to subscribe to the #Pitti88 tag, for all the Styleforum coverage from the fair.

11 people like this.
  4. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Dressed for comfort in the BIG smoke.

Brown herringbone on brown herringbone
    [​IMG]

No padding for me
    [​IMG]

Chuckling all day
    [​IMG]

DETAILS
    Coat - Giorgio Armani Black Label
    Sports coat - P. Johnson Tailor "Napoli"
    Pantaloons - P. Johnson Tailor "Napoli"
    Shirt - Ascot Chang
    Tie - Loro Piana
    Shoes - Alden for Leather Soul

38 people like this.
  5. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Pretty awesome stuff, Gerry and Guido.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sander

Sander Senior member

I like it too; for me, the light grey suit I posted last was also my first suit that light in color; it takes some time getting used to, but I love it.

Yeah, the tailor is quite old (school). I think especially for taller men like me, a little lower gorge is better. On the other hand, a detail not commonly connected with old school fit, he does amazingly rounded, open quarters. Florentinian old school.

7. Tried and True

Tried and True Senior member

These thinly veiled barbs against my personage must stop!

:p

3 people like this.
  8. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Good advice for anyone.
    Some of my best and most loyal clients are the ones for whom I managed to turn around an initially disappointing result.
    May cost you a bit more time and effort than you like at first, but chances are you'll get it back in the long run.

9. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

My old MTM tailor screwed up my first commission. I don't know where or why, but it happened. After four fittings, it just didn't look right, so they blew it up and started again. Second try was the charm. I think I eventually ordered two suits and four jackets from them over the next year.

10. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Same experience with my tailor. Nothing went smoothly the first time I saw him. Once you build that relationship you learn his limitations, he learns your preferences, etc. Now I wouldn't go to anyone else by choice.

11. Caustic Man

This green corduroy jacket is becoming my favorite thing to wear with jeans. Corduroy may be incongruous with the "sockless" look bit I don't care.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not so invisible socks. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  12. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

^ this.

Taken to the extreme - when I studied business, I read a case study of a cell phone brand who consistently let out unfinished products on the market, and when they broke down, the brand in question gave the best possible service in repairing them. The customers were so happy with the great, no hassle, service that they stayed with this brand.

I would never suggest anyone to follow this scheme when making menswear though, because repeated bad quality will deter customers quick as hell, but it may say something about always giving the best possible service. Even if you think the customer is extremely picky.

2 people like this.
  13. Braddock

Braddock Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44 people like this.
  14. bienluienapris

bienluienapris Senior member

XPOST with friday challenge (Replicate a Historical Photo or Painting)

Here's my humble entry with a pictures of a children who enjoy his new shoes as me (Pictures has been took in 1946 in Austria, so the historical meaning is heavy) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And in color :

[​IMG]

13 people like this.
  15. Sander

Sander Senior member

Green + blue (in the right shades) is one of my favorite color combos. I have a sea green tweed in the works I can't wait to wear with... everything from white denim to raw denim to light grey flannel.

1 person likes this.
  16. Caustic Man

I can't wait to see this. Tweed and denim are made for each other.

17. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

More relaxed today than I normally dress for work.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jacket, shirt and trousers - CT
    PS - Kent Wang
    Socks - Sock Shpo
    Pin LMH
    Shoes - Carmina

7 people like this.
  18. Caustic Man

Those trousers are sooo Nordic. lol

3 people like this.
  19. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Than I have amused at least one person this day. roflmao.

20. Caustic Man

I love it! I lived in Dubai for a while and my American and Commonwealth friends always used to say that when you saw someone in pants like that it was always a Dutch person or a Nordic person. Interestingly, Americans share a similarly colorful sartorial history. The Trad Ivy style is full of bright colors, madras jackets, white shoes, etc.