• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The next installment from TH
TH, the jacket fit is terrible. I hate to be so blunt, but there's really no silver lining here. It's too long, the balance is off, the vent is gaping, the sleeves are too long, and it appears to be too tight in the chest and back. You appear to have an other-than-flat bottom, so I strongly recommend side vents for everything.
My first photos here. Found it very difficult to take a good photo and thus failed a bit. Critique welcome :)
The top half looks good, but, even taking into account picture quality and leg positioning, the trousers are too slim.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't really want to know.
devil.gif
bounce2.gif

Looking forward to it. I'm hoping the package gets delivered to me before the end of next week, when I'm headed to the UK for 10 days. I'd love to have the tie to take with me.

tristanFH

Reaction score
TH, the jacket fit is terrible. I hate to be so blunt, but there's really no silver lining here. It's too long, the balance is off, the vent is gaping, the sleeves are too long, and it appears to be too tight in the chest and back. You appear to have an other-than-flat bottom, so I strongly recommend side vents for everything.
The top half looks good, but, even taking into account picture quality and leg positioning, the trousers are too slim.
Hmmm, enough people have commented that, so there must be something to it. Trousers haven't been tailored at all so perhaps there is a little bit of fabric to let out. I actually have no idea if the width of trousers can be altered to be wider...assume they can?

timhortons

Reaction score

Geez. I didn't know this was a public shaming forum...

tristanFH

Reaction score
I don't think he's shaming you. You've been a member for about as long as I have - when you scroll through WAYWRN you must have noticed that the 'fits' which get a lot of thumbs/attention are quite vastly different to yours? Especially the jacket fit...

Its all a learning process. I think you should look at what DonCologne does as you seem to have similar builds and are perhaps in the same ballpark in terms of your preferred aesthetic, namely longer jackets and fuller trousers.

Cheers

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not - Sugarbutch knows what he's talking about and he's being straight with you. There are no redeeming features to that jacket. And indeed, in general, you seem to be wearing things that don't fit you. This is a common process for people who come here - many of us have been shocked by how badly we were dressing. The right response is not to be defensive, but to take this constructive criticism on board and do something about it.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@timhortons , some members have found the Noodles Good Nature Advice Thread a good place to master the basics on fit, color and fabric coordination, etc. If you've got the right attitude of wanting to learn, the members there will steer you right.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
No shame. And it's not personal.

One of our most respected members just gave you some excellent expert advice—advice which would have cost you money had you gone to a tailor for it. He's trying to help you.

Cheers,

Ac

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Keep your spirits up. Some people just have their own ways of going about giving advise. Sometimes that can rub people the wrong way (I sparked a page long series of angry posts for responding to someone with an emoticon, for instance
biggrin.gif
). The thing I would say though, is try to look through the style of the response and see what he's actually telling you, because he's right. The fit of your clothes is not good. I might not have gone quite as far as he did, but the sentiment is the same. I do want you to understand that what you are doing with colors, while not optimal, does show signs of promise. I have been an advocate for you to keep posting and I remain so.

By the by, we've all gone through some flaming about what we wear (except for maybe @Manton ), especially me. Consider it a right of passage!

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shame is not my goal, TH. I'm trying to help you skip forward in what I presume to be your journey toward looking sharp as a tack. You can go back (waaaaaaaay back) in the original WAYWRN thread to see where I started. I cringe when I look back. Generally, people were encouraging and I got some positive feedback, and that felt nice. But I didn't really make progress until a senior member gave me a dose RealTalk
2122.png
. If I recall correctly, his critique was very similar to the one I gave you. When I read it, my face got hot with embarrassment, and I wanted to crawl away from the forum. But that was the true beginning for me. I'm still on the journey, but miles down the road from where I started.

Keep posting, and we'll keep trying to help.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hmmm, enough people have commented that, so there must be something to it. Trousers haven't been tailored at all so perhaps there is a little bit of fabric to let out. I actually have no idea if the width of trousers can be altered to be wider...assume they can?

Only if there are fairly large seam allowances. Turn 'em inside out and see what's there.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's not - Sugarbutch knows what he's talking about and he's being straight with you. There are no redeeming features to that jacket. And indeed, in general, you seem to be wearing things that don't fit you. This is a common process for people who come here - many of us have been shocked by how badly we were dressing. The right response is not to be defensive, but to take this constructive criticism on board and do something about it.

Spot on. While it can be blunt and difficult to hear, it's better that you get it straight. Would you rather someone lie and say how smashing you look when the entire look is rubbish, or would you rather someone be honest with you and provide valuable feedback?

Definitely check out DC, who can really serve as a terrific guide.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads