• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebonyman

Reaction score

Thanks.  Yeah.  The pants are dark brown flannel.  

Nice! I've been wondering what else to wear with my similarly colored green jacket. I've worn it once so far with a pair of navy flannel pants. I do have some nice brown flannel trousers that I may try next...

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Recents:
tumblr_nk2u1f2c2V1qcrv3ko1_500.jpg
Phew. Where does one start? The first three photos - one suit and two overcoat shots - are fine. But the two I've spoilered above just don't work. In the first, I count no less than nine colours, only one of which is repeated (suit colour also seen in the tie florets). The shirt is independently hideous - looks like a convict's jumpsuit - and cannot be saved. The second combines a really nice, textured chalkstripe suiting material with a shiny tie of ghastly hue. The club collar fights against the sharp angles of the lapels and the chalkstripes. There's just no coherence whatsoever, in either fit. Sorry.
In the first, the main issue is not that there are so many colors, but that the tie and hank are fighting each other in warmth and saturation. I like the shirt despite the broad/thin nature of the stripes, and I suspect that it's because they're horizontal. Almost no one here likes horizontal stripes on shirts, though. For the second, I don't understand the objection to the club collar unless you just don't like them. The clash you see with the lapels would essentially eliminate the club collar as an option for all DBs, no? As for the tie, it might be as bright as it appears, but I suspect that the pink is one of those colors that lights up the sensor on a phone camera. It's coherent with the hank, though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Attempt 3. Trying the windowpane again after receiving feedback.
Switched out some stuff...
Is it better now? Trying to be less matchy-matchy and use more complimentary colors.
Doesn't really shine that much. Mostly camera flash

Using my late grandfather's ruby cuff links and matching tie clip. I never see tie accessories on this thread.
Are they frowned upon?

Also:

I understand some folks write things such as, "shoulders too wide, waist too big, hips too wide..."
What happens when people have less than ideal physiques (which I assume is around 95% of the population)?
How do I compensate for a boxy body?
Would an ideal, Savile Row level, skilled tailor end up cutting a boxier looking suit or is there a work-around of some kind?

All so confusing...
Thanks!
You could use some help in choosing accessories. It's not a bad thing. Although you can get help here, it's like learning martial arts from Youtube. The results will be mixed. The internet is still a fairly limited and one dimensional medium, and clothes are hopefully still three dimensional.

Just as a starter, your shirt has a gap in the collar, and the tie is not particularly well tied. However, at least from what I can see, you may be having some issues with texture. It's hard to see on the monitor, but both the tie and the pocket square seem to be satin silk or silk like material. It's a material that can look cheap, and especially when you use them in primary colors. I would eschew having both the PS and the tie in that material and those colors. As for the fit of the suit, there is nothing fundamentally wrong, but a talented alterations tailor (yes, tailor, deal with it) could be your best friend. A nip here, and tuck there, a slight adjustment, all can make big differences.

I wrote a little while back that in CM, the devil is in the details, and the same goes here. So, if you are looking for advice, I'd find a good stylist, someone who can help you find and communicate with a good alterations tailor, and someone who can help you navigate accessories, and who is willing to teach you to do for yourself.

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Beautiful light this morning, so I'm going to bore you with a few more pseudo-contemplative shots:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the first, the main issue is not that there are so many colors, but that the tie and hank are fighting each other in warmth and saturation. I like the shirt despite the broad/thin nature of the stripes, and I suspect that it's because they're horizontal. Almost no one here likes horizontal stripes on shirts, though.

For the second, I don't understand the objection to the club collar unless you just don't like them. The clash you see with the lapels would essentially eliminate the club collar as an option for all DBs, no? As for the tie, it might be as bright as it appears, but I suspect that the pink is one of those colors that lights up the sensor on a phone camera. It's coherent with the hank, though.

I don't necessarily dislike club collars, but I don't think this particular club collar works with this particular suit. I think it's the way the chalkstripes set up strongly acute angles where the lapel meets the chest piece. To me, this clashes with the rounded ends of the collar.

The first shirt deserves only fire.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
V nice, Elio. Isnt it just wonderous when you get great lighting.

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This might not get too much love around here, but should hopefully at least a thumb from @patrickBOOTH

out of sight, black calf cap toes

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
V nice, Elio. Isnt it just wonderous when you get great lighting.

Thanks, mate! Yeah, it's nice to have light like that, especially since it's somewhat of a rarity here during the rainy season. Most of the time the skies are dark grey here now....

Today, tweed

Lovely houndstooth jacket!!

@rickytt great combo of SC and turtleneck. Would have been even better with trousers in a warm shade of brown instead of the grey, IMO.

@Pingson , we still love you
wink.gif

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This might not get too much love around here, but should hopefully at least a thumb from @patrickBOOTH
out of sight, black calf cap toes
Why no love? Because of the blue suit and black (knit?) tie? I think it's great.
This really calls for some (lighter?) brown shoes. And maybe try tucking in the turtleneck, doesn't look half as bad as it sounds and gives an overall more "put together" vibe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics