HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part IV (starting May 2014)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, May 21, 2014.

1. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Senior member

Nice! I've been wondering what else to wear with my similarly colored green jacket. I've worn it once so far with a pair of navy flannel pants. I do have some nice brown flannel trousers that I may try next...

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

In the first, the main issue is not that there are so many colors, but that the tie and hank are fighting each other in warmth and saturation. I like the shirt despite the broad/thin nature of the stripes, and I suspect that it's because they're horizontal. Almost no one here likes horizontal stripes on shirts, though. For the second, I don't understand the objection to the club collar unless you just don't like them. The clash you see with the lapels would essentially eliminate the club collar as an option for all DBs, no? As for the tie, it might be as bright as it appears, but I suspect that the pink is one of those colors that lights up the sensor on a phone camera. It's coherent with the hank, though.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

You could use some help in choosing accessories. It's not a bad thing. Although you can get help here, it's like learning martial arts from Youtube. The results will be mixed. The internet is still a fairly limited and one dimensional medium, and clothes are hopefully still three dimensional.

Just as a starter, your shirt has a gap in the collar, and the tie is not particularly well tied. However, at least from what I can see, you may be having some issues with texture. It's hard to see on the monitor, but both the tie and the pocket square seem to be satin silk or silk like material. It's a material that can look cheap, and especially when you use them in primary colors. I would eschew having both the PS and the tie in that material and those colors. As for the fit of the suit, there is nothing fundamentally wrong, but a talented alterations tailor (yes, tailor, deal with it) could be your best friend. A nip here, and tuck there, a slight adjustment, all can make big differences.

I wrote a little while back that in CM, the devil is in the details, and the same goes here. So, if you are looking for advice, I'd find a good stylist, someone who can help you find and communicate with a good alterations tailor, and someone who can help you navigate accessories, and who is willing to teach you to do for yourself.

4. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Beautiful light this morning, so I'm going to bore you with a few more pseudo-contemplative shots:

[​IMG]

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

I don't necessarily dislike club collars, but I don't think this particular club collar works with this particular suit. I think it's the way the chalkstripes set up strongly acute angles where the lapel meets the chest piece. To me, this clashes with the rounded ends of the collar.

The first shirt deserves only fire.

6. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Klaatu barada nikto!

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

V nice, Elio. Isnt it just wonderous when you get great lighting.

8. Mhmt83

Mhmt83 Active Member

9. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

This might not get too much love around here, but should hopefully at least a thumb from @patrickBOOTH
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    out of sight, black calf cap toes

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015

10. rickytt

rickytt Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Thanks, mate! Yeah, it's nice to have light like that, especially since it's somewhat of a rarity here during the rainy season. Most of the time the skies are dark grey here now....

Lovely houndstooth jacket!!

@rickytt great combo of SC and turtleneck. Would have been even better with trousers in a warm shade of brown instead of the grey, IMO.

@Pingson , we still love you [​IMG]

12. Sander

Sander Senior member

Why no love? Because of the blue suit and black (knit?) tie? I think it's great.
    This really calls for some (lighter?) brown shoes. And maybe try tucking in the turtleneck, doesn't look half as bad as it sounds and gives an overall more "put together" vibe.

13. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Perhaps because of the very slim lapels?

14. JapanAlex01

JapanAlex01 Senior member

I wouldn't call them 'very slim'; they're the average width of most OTR jackets.

15. Sander

Sander Senior member

+1, they're barely on the side of slim (meaning under half the distance between shirt and shoulder).