• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
xpost from mc cash thread:

Went out oblivious of the fact that last Saturday people dressed up for Halloween everywhere in Beijing. Chinese girls kept calling me William Prince. Ended up making third price at a costume competition as British royal and heir to the throne.

Today went visiting two tailors:

Later that same day I replaced the gettup with a less than $10 uniqlo navy turtleneck. channeling my inner NOBD

Last edited:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

Tibor,

The suit is gorgeous and well-fit but you've got to get over the whole hat thing, it makes it look costume-y.  And with your diminutive stature it makes you look like an extra from "Bugsy Malone".

My .02

Tibor is Tibor. He brings great dedication to dressing and strives for a certain look. Costume-y? Yes. Well done costume-y? For certain.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score
Clapey, SC looks a tad short. You're obviously a big guy with long legs. I think you can afford a longer SC. I also think the sleeves are a bit slim. While this compliments your build to a great extent, I think you could get away with letting them out a bit (if for no other reason than they make your hands look huge). The balance also seems uneven at the shoulders, though that might just be your stance.

All and all very nice.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first thought was that he was gonna catch hell for the black shoes.

You really must be new here. Most people understand the British tradition, that black shoes are the first resort with blue suits, and that the US approach, that is brown shoes with blue suits, has become acceptable and is certainly more common these days. Sure, people disagree about which is 'best' aesthetically, but only relative newcomers don't get that both are entirely proper.
teacha.gif

IsteRed

Reaction score
Close-up of today's fit i uploaded earlier

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Long time lurker, first time posting.

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics, and I hope you enjoy my tile (that'll be coming out in December). 

A lot of you guys have really inspired me, this is a great resource.

I'm open to critiques, so please let 'em fly.

In my industry and location (media in South Florida), a SC with a collared dress shirt is about a dressed-up as it gets. I'd love to wear a tie, but it would really be over the top (i'm teetering on the edge as it is). I only wear ties when I'm meeting with clients.

tia!

SC by Canali, Dress Shirt by Brooks Brothers, Bonobos slacks, AE Berwick's

The shoulders are way too padded and bulky for the lower half. Your extra-slim pants and the way the coat is cut slim around the hips make those shoulders look ridiculous. You need to either see a tailor and have some padding removed and the shoulders narrowed, or find a new jacket if you're going to go with trousers that skinny.

jorgerunfast

Reaction score
The shoulders are way too padded and bulky for the lower half. Your extra-slim pants and the way the coat is cut slim around the hips make those shoulders look ridiculous. You need to either see a tailor and have some padding removed and the shoulders narrowed, or find a new jacket if you're going to go with trousers that skinny.

Thank you.

The shoulders were bothering me. I typically wear about a 38R, but it seems that the shoulders run a little wide on this one. I hadn't really noticed it until earlier today.

Do you think it's worth getting some of the padding removed, or just give up on the SC since the shoulders are too wide (they're about a 1/2" too wide on each side)?

Thanks again.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just since Feb...have I broken an unwritten rule?

Tibor has been posting for almost as long as I remember since I've been a member here, and his style has never changed. He's always gone for large-brim fedoras, vintage suits and rat pack era style.
The tides of critical new members have come in and gone out, yet Tibor remains unchanged.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah but I could try to do a period seventies look without getting the leopard skin coat and platform shoes with goldfish in the heels. It's possible to take any look over the line and these giant hats invariably do that.

Again, +1. Period isn't code for wear whatever you want. I saw that photo and my first impression was a kid wearing his grandfather's clothes. The suit is too baggy in places and the hat looks enormous. The youthful face only adds to that image.

Then why not give the feedback which acknowledges his premise and helps him execute it better? That would be cool, and you clearly have it within you...

Tibor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hat would be an easy fix if I wanted to make it smaller. All one has to do is crease it in deeper. Very simple.

Citan1145

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First time wearing of this new sportcoat. Though calling a herringbone harris tweed jacket "new" is always kind of ironic in a fun way for me. I was unsure of how to wear it so I would love some feedback on possible combinations, especially trousers, shirts, and ties. Thanks in advance. I am generally happy with the fit, especially in the shoulders, but am concerned the waist may be a bit loose, I had them let it out due to some wrinkling at the buttoning point. Sorry for poor lighting, ****** weather here :/

Also, east coast posters, stay safe please! Thoughts are with you.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/8139154278/]

Detail

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/8139257476/]

Additional shots

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/8139183857/]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/58019768@N02/8139234534/][/url][/url][/url][/url]

Orgetorix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you. 

The shoulders were bothering me. I typically wear about a 38R, but it seems that the shoulders run a little wide on this one. I hadn't really noticed it until earlier today. 

Do you think it's worth getting some of the padding removed, or just give up on the SC since the shoulders are too wide (they're about a 1/2" too wide on each side)? 

Thanks again. 

Depends how much you love the jacket and how competent your tailor is. If I were in your shoes, I'd give up on it and look for something that fit better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads