HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

The more I look at this fit the more I think a simple change to a white square would have just about made it work. That and some neck liposuction!

Or, maybe if the jacket were a little grayer or the trou a little beiger - sort of warm/cool thing.

I don't think there is anything wrong AT ALL with a lighter jacket and darker trou in general.

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Derek, the idea works but not your execution. Keep in mind that I am biased against non patch pocket jackets. That same jacket in a light shade of brown (ideally similar to your suede shoes), some solid grey flannels and keep the tie and shirt plus some suede shoes, and you are good to go. here is an excerpt from luciano barbera:

Style Tips
    SEASONAL
    "Everyone knows you wear wool in the winter, linen in the summer, and a straw hat from June 15th to Labor Day. Everyone is right. And therein lies the problem. Follow these rules and you will look like everyone else. Better that you display a little originality. On the gravest days of winter I put on my gray flannels, a cashmere tie in a sober color and my white linen jacket.
    The pants keep me warm. The tie gains me entrée into good restaurants. The blazer reminds me that summer will come again."

On the site in this blurb, is a pic of a white linen DB sportcoat worn with flannels. To work (for me), the jacket has to be relaxed and all the other elements of the outfit soft and fuzzy. Patterned pants don't work. I do this but I wear dark linen pants, wool or cashmere jacket and wool or cashmere tie and suede shoes.

3. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

noted...thanks doc. I agree...I think solid trous wouldve made it work a little better.

white pants with a tan jacket is a no go for me.

first, f*ck you. im a 15.5 neck. dammit. youre giving me a complex. :lol: I think ill try the coat with a darker solid trou...or just buy a new coat. ;)

great advice ed. thanks a ton. If i recall, the pic that gave me the idea was a charcoal grey flannel pant with a tan linen jacket. I think youre right, the printed trous were a bad choice. Thanks!

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

good go at it. you need some cufflinks...

and neck lipo. come see me.

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

That was pretty funny. :lol:

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

for both.

7. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

So he cuts from a block and you need more girth at the waist and a wider shoulder.

What happened to the unconstructed white jacket made by the 80 year old tailor?

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

The suggestions/feedback you got from other members made sense, but this is my favourite outfit of yours. A more "autumny" fabric for the jacket with a bit more texture (but same colour) would have been great, but apart from that: everything else looks very nice: harmonious, simple but interesting. From shirt (great blue for this outfit, a lighter blue would have made the top of the outfit too light), to tie (great colour and texture, beautiful against the shirt, and a link to the bottom of the outfit), to PS (not matchy, and helps to darken up the top a bit), to trousers, to shoes.

10. Achillus

Achillus Senior member

Colours fits well together.

11. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Your collar spread is too great on your shirt. or lose the tie, and even then the collar spread is too great. So, wrong shirt, correct colour.

12. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

13. Cravate_Noire

Cravate_Noire Senior member

No block, these are adjustment to my own, finished pattern (only for this coat) and it has nothing to do with fit as such which will not be changed, but with some "specials" I wanted on that jacket.
    The additional marks only show what was moved, not what was extended!
    (to make a long story short it will have a single piece back and no front darts because I want matched pocket jets. the movements of some parts of my pattern are, as far as I understand, necessary to get a perfect applomb into the finished coat).
    Possobly I shall ask for single-seam sleeves to complete this, haha.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011

14. fullb

fullb Senior member

15. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

I think this works, but I'm sure there will be dissenters.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.