HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romain

Romain Senior member

Does anyone knows how long the newbie I am will be subject to moderation? Due to the delay my fryday outfit has appeared five pages ago this morning: (feedbacks are welcome :D )

Ps: the pants are longer than they seem to be in 3rd photo.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011

2. AlwaysDressed

AlwaysDressed Senior member

Is that a Brooks Brothers Bag you're carrying? I have a similar BB version.

3. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

IMO, this was the snazziest post of the week and is worthy of a re-post. Absolutely dashing.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Yes, it's archaic.

It simply doesn't exist as a common/shared frame of reference as normal/standard dress for a majority of the adult male population in the way it once was. This also is true across the social strata from top to bottom in my opinion, and I routinely deal with a very broad cross-section of the public including seeing them in their homes. What has remained with us to a much greater degree is its cultural baggage, accounting for its (relative) survival within certain social groups. As such, like many an archaic turn of phrase, it retains a more deliberate and symbolic meaning.

This is why I think it's rather daft to talk of some outfits as costume and others as classic menswear. They're all costume today in the subconscious mind of the large majority of the population, even when worn seriously for the most sober and conservative business meeting. A majority of the suited men in the most rarified boardroom only dress like that FOR work and otherwise wear jeans and a T at home (or cords & a button-down collared shirt at most), with some more fashionable stuff picked out by their partners for purely social engagements.

A more useful dividing line IMO is whether your clothes work for your life/needs or not. Some groups of business and social contacts develop a subculture of dressing up a bit because of a combination of expectations, traditions and enjoyment of the role associated with that cultural baggage. If you like clothes, you'll naturally tend to gravitate to those groups, or at least, notice them when you encounter them. Most people posting on SF self-select from these latter groups, and that's why we enjoy the opportunities offered by the board.

5. MarcInDentonTx

MarcInDentonTx Senior member

If I could better articulate the fit and personal stance I would like to have, this would be it. Very nice.

6. TTO

TTO Senior member

[​IMG]
    It's becoming apparent that I need to press my trousers more often!
    [​IMG]
    -TTO

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, my clothes do work for me in my life. My style has remained fairly static for many years now, and I dress casually most days, though I'm perceived as being dressed up by those around me. That suits me fine. It's really that I like to dress up and take advantage of any opportunity to do so. While I recognize that all clothing is costume, I think we can all agree that we strive to look comfortable in our clothes, and don't want to be described as "costumey." Again, I can attribute this partly to dining with a group of strangers, but it's a bit awkward to have your clothing garner undue attention. An interesting parallel is that I wore the same suit the previous weekend to an opening party at the Hammer Museum. The event was for the show Now Dig This! which is a survey of African American artists in Los Angeles from 1960-1980. I expected there'd be a lot of well dressed black men at the show, and I was right. In that context, I was well dressed, I got some complements and approving nods here and there, but I was also fairly anonymous. I want more opportunities to be in settings like that, but the truth is that I have very few of them, which is a bummer.

8. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think rumpled works well too. Do you have any wire rimmed glasses? I get the feeling those would work well on your face, with the beard and your style.

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Looks good to me. Nicely done. Don't know the reason for delay. Maybe they're trying to keep the riff-raff out? [​IMG]

I have a feeling J-Dub might be the best dressed man on StyFo.

10. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Very recognizable.

11. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

I just love this high gorges...

12. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

WADR to the OP, this is a perfect example of striped cloth revealing significant alterations and/or balance problems with RTW.

Edit: Looks like moving the anchoring button a bit would help significantly, but that would narrow the overlap and perhaps cause other issues. I'd be interested to hear one of the resident tailors comment on how/if this is easily fixed.

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I could go for some Macaroni today.

14. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Thank you very much guys! It is definitely a significant improvement to the previous fit I had recently posted!
    @G - I agree about flattering the torso with a longer jacket - I just don't have enough of me to flatter both my torso and my legs(I'm 5'4)so I have to pick one :( Unless you know of a trick or two. Also, I work for a financial institution so no political affiliation, I just have to be somewhat CBD....most days :) I can get away and push the envelope every now and then though. I didn't realize that is what I could portray....I just thought it was a nice color combo.

Yep, Will Fields of Field English Tailors in DC had to do so much slicing and dicing to get it to fit me. He had to do a basted fitting, raise the armholes and a bunch of other stuff. I have one of those weird bodies that just doesn't work with RTW. Bespoke is in the near future but I want to get a good grasp of fitment before I go jumping on the deep end of the pool.

15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I think I'm through with hacking pockets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.