HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wore this the other night to a friend's birthday dinner at the Pacific Dining Car. Sorry for the terrible (yet iconic) restroom mirror shot. I cropped out most of the bathroom because it's a fairly tasteful room and thought it might clash with the tacky bathroom aesthetic established on SF.:foo: For the record, it's a mid grey twill wool suit and a blue, white and red raw silk tie.

Anyway, my experience that night got me thinking about something Vox posted a week or two ago, regarding men having the social connections and obligations that require dressing well. Nobody at the dinner was even dressed a little bit well. Most of the men were wearing jeans, t-shirts, wool stocking caps, sneakers. I didn't feel uncomfortable, but I could have dressed in my more typical daily casual style, say grey flannel trousers, a patterned button down and a v-neck sweater, and I still would have been the only person in the room to make an effort. What's more, I probably would have seemed more elegant, in that context. In a suit and tie I was so foreign to the group that I could have been mistaken for the staff. Now, this group wasn't really my regular social crowd. The guest of honor is a friend, but the rest were people he knows through his work in the music business and from being a DJ. Still, it got me thinking that this brand of classic men's style is becoming truly archaic. Or maybe I'm wrong and was just thrown for a loop in hanging out with a group of strangers.

[​IMG]

2. acecow

acecow Senior member

Great outfit, first of all.

As for your thoughts, I somewhat agree with the first part that it's becoming archaic. As a fellow LA'er I understand your pain. Whenever I make an effort to dress up (and I usually do), I feel like I stand out from the crowd in a questionable way. We might want to believe that it's good to stand out, but it may also alienate other people from you. I think that my personality and circle of friends allows me to be a little quirky; in other words, I feel like I can pull off dressing like I do. However, wearing a suit nowadays is eccentric, which is a concept many people from the older generation seem to struggle with. That's why I've mostly concentrated on having a wide array of shirts and pants in interesting patterns and colors. It allows me to sufficiently stand out from the crowd without overdoing it. Also, lately I've realized that to wear a jacket in the casual environment and warm weather of southern california, I really need to focus on unstructured casual jackets with natural shoulders since they don't look quite as old man-ish. I reserve my more formal structured coats and suits for opera, ballet and classical music performances. Just last Sunday I spotted a guy wearing flip-flops and shorts to the ballet. :facepalm:

3. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

I wouldn't wear a suit to dinner these days unless it was business related, or at a VERY elegant venue. And that would require suit that is darker and a tie that is less business like than what you've posted.

A sport coat, tie, and slacks is perfectly formal for all but the dressiest of social dining occasions these days in most parts of the US. And even the tie is pushing it.

In other words, unless the ladies are wearing cocktail/dinner dresses you probably will be out of place in a suit and tie.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dressing in "classic suit and tie" for occasions other than formal business has probably become archaic. It's probably just another fashion genre now. I bet a lot of people would think "that guy looks so Mad Men" rather than just thinking you we're a guy dressed appropriately for a nice occasion.

But, whatever. Nice button down roll. And cool look all around.

5. Hedges

Hedges Well-Known Member

e46 UNITE!!!! hahha

6. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

7. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

After a minor computer meltdown, fits from the week.

Wednesday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thursday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Friday:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

No tripod and having to use the right hand technique. Cashmere jacket or shacket, by Luciano Barbera (shirt-like, no lining, no cuff buttons, patch pockets). Scarf by Paul Smith.

[​IMG]

9. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

^ beautiful scarf... deets please

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is silk, by Paul Smith

11. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

+1 :laugh:

Oh,snap! The counter-punches are good today!

Everything but the hair, yes.

Exactly. I wore a sport coat and jeans to a friend's birthday party last week and someone actually said that I looked "so Mad Men in that dashing outfit." People don't seem able to differentiate between degrees of dressing up.

12. DaBatMan

DaBatMan Senior member

13. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Where my boy Deuce J at?

:confused:

14. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

He done gonen got hisself band.

15. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011