HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

For me, the jacket looks a little short and a little too big, but I like where its going. The tie can be tightened up a notch, the collar can be a little bit more spread, and the pants seem to be too casual for the jacket. Just being honest.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes. But the fact that it happened in the first place makes me think that it still should be addressed.

3. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

When I first read this I thought, how useless. Now I realize it did indeed have a use, as a sort of intellectual masturbation. Or you are living out your latent dreams of achieving literary fame with such gems as "cavort mindlessly around the pyre drunk of wishful association". Beautiful imagery I'd say if it wasn't apt for demonstrating anything other than your vanity (and stale style of writing).

Number one, suit schizophrenia. Actually, it is wacky on wacky that is "crazy". You end up looking like a pimp or a pageant contestant dressing that way. A brash, bold element must be paired with more sobering components. In that way, the outfit is not an eyesore but an expression of individual taste. Furthermore, wacky on wacky does not need a trivial life it needs a privileged life on a scale of which you are obviously unfamiliar. You need social cachet and money to be able to pull off full on wacky in a business setting, and in some lines of work wacky never works. Otherwise, you work in fashion or a creative occupation which praises a little daring. You also need confidence for wacky because only a man confident in himself can pull of such a style, and a man with confidence in his bold choices but an obvious understanding of general taste (i.e. a coat that is not too short, even by half an inch, or an understanding that chubbiness is not something a suit should emphasize--ogretrix) is automatically intriguing in social circles that are not lawerly or mergerific.

Number two, watch me improve your writing corbera: Try to take better photographs where we can properly evaluate fit, cut, and colour. Corbera just posted a lot of junk instead because he enjoys the sound of his own typing.

Now to summarize the above poster: Hey guys, I think I am really awesome and pretty darned elegant, but I agree with Manton and Despos and have nothing further to say. I have none of my own ideas and yeah ok his fit is still not up to my standards of awesomeness, maybe better by an inch.

I think this post warrants a fourth categorization: someone who posts in the nude but wears a top hat and uses a gold pocket watch: the faux elegant man. A rare species indeed.

Now for some sanity. The suit is daring, no doubt. But it works. Contrary to what the poster stated, spoo is not skinny rather he has somewhat of a more muscular build than manton. He could be mistakenly thought of someone who regularly exercises or takes care of his build. So while I have the problem of being too thin for RTW, I still have found one or two sport jackets that fit OTR. Spoo who has a more robust frame would be much more able to find decent fits. Not that I am saying you shouldn't go bespoke. And oddly enough, I think I see what manton had mentioned was a 'very puffy chest'. Again an exaggeration, but I wonder if that is ever noticeable while you carry on day to day. Some might actually like a little chest puff, whether it is a defect or not depends more on you...and it is a nit pick either way.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

4. SpooPoker

JJ, thanks for taking the time to comment on my suit, I do appreciate it. I thought it did work with sobering elements myself, but I dont want to rehash it all over again. Im grateful to have heard some various opinions to consider. While I am left slightly confused, I am glad to have some food for thought on the next time.

As far as the rest, Ill sit back with my :lurk: corn now.

5. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Quick photoslam Thursday...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

This thread has been :lurk: worthy for a while now. I freaking love SF

7. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

Oh, and IST66 is a very fine dresser. I like his recent photo very much, much more so than his loud patterned sport coat outfits, which are also nice.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Better Acrid, though I wish the shoulders were just a bit softer.

I like Spoo's colors today. I've been getting on a neat tie kick recently.

9. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Yep, Saturday. Going to the LP sample sale, then seeing her. Or maybe vice versa.

10. SpooPoker

Can you see my spoo colors, shining through? :laugh:

BTW, I enjoy your tumblr. Some great writing on your pieces.

11. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

They have worked together as long as I have known Manuel which is at least 20 years but some one told me they have split and operate separate businesses now. They are always very dapper.

12. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

[​IMG]

Thanks for the critique - I agree with you pretty much point for point. I wish the jacket were a touch longer. It is slightly roomy, but I like the shape of it and I am hesitant about altering it as I'd rather keep the shape than just have it be too tight. The shirt I usually wear casually without a jacket and tie, but was actually inpired by some of your past combinations to try it out with some solid navy... perhaps I should have also gone less casual with the pants - it was either these (cotton) or grey wool... I just thought the beige might warm up the pallette as opposed to the grey cooling it off.

I really like your sober, yet interesting outfit today.

13. SpooPoker

iLoled at your picture. Im just trying to voice what I see, as many others did for me when I needed it this week, so trying to give back a bit. But its better to know, right?

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I keep hoping you'll convince me you know more than you're letting on, because I always enjoy a well-informed challenge to orthodoxy. But so far you seem content to rail against the existence of SF "experts" even as you try to position yourself as one.

If you're not trolling, which I assume you are, your opinions are likely to be considered more seriously if you let them stand on their own merits, rather than wrapping them up in a personality fixation.

15. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

@spoo:
    No worries - at the end of the day I still have the "It's just clothes" attitude, and I know that my wardrobe is by no means exceptional. I am definitely one of the people that are here to learn. That said I'm also "that guy" at work who dresses up, wears pocket squares, wears colorful pants in the summer months, and makes some of his own clothes - so I get a few comments from time to time - useful criticism is refreshing when the comments are usually "What is the name of that color?" and "Is that a napkin in your pocket?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.