HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Echoing the post fear...

Taking photos with a point and shoot digital in not enough light is a bitch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

You're right, mostly ... Most guys make it through life just fine in their oversized black suits and square-toed shoes. There aren't many homeless guys lamenting, "If I'd only had a Zegna ..."

But, then, what brings us here? Most newcomers arrive these days looking for the knowledge your post values so little. They have a question, someone here has the answer. But if we embrace the notion that our attire really is insignificant, that folks should wear what they like, that knowledge base evaporates. Members who actually care enough to learn about this stuff in detail have no reason to stay, and the conversation becomes "Get yourself a nice American Living blazer on clearance at Penney's." It's happened before, and it can happen to SF. There's a reason we're having this conversation here and not at a certain other site.

So of these guys looking for basic information, most will move on. Only a few have what it takes to join the esteemed ranks of the elite Internet Hobbyist. That's most of us -- guys with an interest in men's clothing that the average person would consider abnormal. The guys who gave rise to the pith-helmeted iGent stereotype. We're here because we like to talk about clothes and SF gives us an outlet to analyze, scrutinize and, yes, stress about the topic to a degree that would be unseemly in the real world. That's the purpose of a niche forum like this, and I'm not sure why one would choose to hang out in a niche forum just to lecture its members for being too niche, too interested in the topic at hand. I don't care much about watches, so I don't hang out on watch forums. I certainly wouldn't join one to try to convince the members not to sweat the movement.

Naturally, some folks will be more interested in some topics than in others. Fair cop. My interest in, say, suit construction pales in comparison to Manton's or Sator's. But, from my perspective, having a broad knowledge base here, having guys who really do sweat the details, only benefits the forum and its members.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011

3. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    Thanks for the advice. Yes, the fabric is also somewhat dated. I swim and do triathlon, so I do have good shoulders. However my upper body is shorter than average and I have almost no space between the bottom of my ribs and the top of my hips. So it's very difficult to achieve that desirable triangular shape. However I have never really thought of extension in the shoulder. I guess if I had the money, I would spend more time with a tailor and get these issues sorted out...

4. Slickman

Slickman Senior member

Is that the Vass F-Last?

5. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

great watch...a 210? I have a 232 and love it. As for the watch on the cuff, agnelli pulled it off, not sure a lot of us can. I feel i can pull off some out there stuff, but this isnt one of them. everytime i see someone do it, it just looks like theyre trying to look like agnelli...(which isnt a bad thing, just seems affected to me)

6. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

The pictures aren't bad at all, especially the first one. The biggest problem seems to be the whitebalance that's quite a bit off. It's hard to get it right with mixed light sources, but you should be able to get better results than this. Other than that, size, focal length and camera angle seem fine.

7. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i would get rid of the tie immediately - actually throw the socks out while you're at it. the shirt and suit together are too much, even with a muted tie. perhaps try a cream-coloured shirt and dark, solid tie? like holdfast, i'm not feeling the suit fabric, but neither do i hate it and so i don't think you need to ditch it.

8. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

yeah, agnelli is the one person that pulled it off, doesnt mean we all can. :foo:

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Right, so - brand new suit, brand new cut, and a brand new tailor. Better?
    First pic below is most accurate colors.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    note - I see that small pulling by the button, but I think that's just the photo/pose as that's not there when I'm robot posing.

10. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

i had never seen this before a couple months ago, and i'd never heard of agnelli as a fashion icon either.

in any event, i think it looks better on wongolini than on agnelli, because it fits in better with his overall asthetic.

11. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

Dreben: Congratulations Ed. I hear your wife is having a baby.
    Ed: Yeah, and if I find the son-of-bitch who fu....

12. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Holy Boldness Batman!!! I am glad you can get away with it...that one is not for mortals. Was it bespoke?

13. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

14. Kappelan

Kappelan Senior member

Guys, please don't be so serious about my picture. Although I see nothing wrong if somebody (like gentlemen above) want to wear watch like Agnelli, even if they aren't Agnelli :)

BTW, I saw this way of wearing watch in my soviet childhood long before I learned about Agnelli :embar:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.