• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

To be very blunt, you look like you should be roasting on a spit. Your fit is not flattering. You look like you might be a little compressed in that thing. Take to the gym and then perhaps you would look better in your chosen sizing. And the comment about the length of your coat is a bit much for me. Any shorter than in this post and you might as well have `juicy couture` labelled on your rump.

I have never purchased Allen Edmond shoes, but I have always heard good things about their quality, it is a good albeit aesthetically trying choice.
vox, you continue to amuse

Alexander

Reaction score

To be very blunt, you look like you should be roasting on a spit. Your fit is not flattering. You look like you might be a little compressed in that thing. Take to the gym and then perhaps you would look better in your chosen sizing. And the comment about the length of your coat is a bit much for me. Any shorter than in this post and you might as well have `juicy couture` labelled on your rump.

I have never purchased Allen Edmond shoes, but I have always heard good things about their quality, it is a good albeit aesthetically trying choice.
¡Hombre grosero a la vista! be gentle with the members, please :)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When Vox is being a dick, he does it tastefully.

emptym

Reaction score

... Overall I'm giving myself an A-... agree?...
I'd give it a B-. Anyone who's spent time reading about fit on SF, should know about the flaws that were mentioned (sleeves needing rotation, etc).
Seriously, where's the commentary? I'm not that bad with technology. Despos, are you inflated? I certainly hadn`t heard about you before stumbling on this site. They like you here, but you certainly don`t have the cachet to be giving me smugness
Here's a good example of something we would all do well to remember (some more than others), namely that my ignorance of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
... I see some people pretending that dressing is some kind of difficult art to master. Come on! Like Nii said, it's not rocket science.... ...Vox, manton and the others in the "old-school" camp, you fail to understand one thing. I know how my clothes fit. I know they aren't perfect. I even know in what ways they aren't perfect. Maybe if you were to analyze them closely you would find other insignificant details, but I'm aware of all the major imperfections. Vox, you're smarter than I am and you are well-educated in the art of debate, I'm sure you can tear this argument to pieces for the sake of amusement or supporting your previous claims. However, do try to understand this point of view as well. I know my suits aren't perfect, but I choose not to pursue perfection, because I have no time, desire and money to do so... ... I am also very confident that what a few of you preach is really not the direction the moderators would want this forum to go. It's a public place, a place to learn and share. Not an elitist club of Saville Row bespoke customers.
I'd like to reply to the three points above: (1) It is a difficult art to master. But maybe we define "mastery" differently. I think it takes, as good old Gladwell says, 10,000 hours. If a person spent about three hours a day working on it, six days a week, it would take about ten years to master. It may take, as you and Nii mention, a year or two to become proficient. But proficiency isn't mastery. (2) If you know how well your clothes fit, and you're happy with them, then why did you ask for feedback in the Tailors' Thread? (3) If I can speak for the mods, we don't want it to become a club of high end bespoke customers. But we don't want it to dissolve into a free-for-all. This is the way I describe SF to non-members: "It's a bunch of guys who are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence. They're drawn together by their interest in clothing, but they discuss pretty much any topic from politics to advanced cooking techniques. And you'll find a world-class expert on any topic you could imagine." I would hate for SF to abandon what I think makes it great: a group of guys dedicated to the pursuit of excellence.
... Now, there is a whole separate conversation about my thoughts on the people who whine about how bad the forum has become, yet never post pictures to increase the quality or have healthy conversations to teach. More often than not, when this conversation comes up, which is every 2-3 months, I usually make a point to point out the fallacy of the argument. IMHO - there is more to it than wishing the forum to get better. I'll leave it at that.
Please say more, here or by pm.
... Or when someone tries to use Aristotle to justify a watery explanation of what is a good fit.
Like Parker and others who "liked" his post, I thought Manton's use of Aristotle was quite helpful.

That's just mean.

Last edited:

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'd like to reply to the three points above:
(1) It is a difficult art to master. But maybe we define "mastery" differently. I think it takes, as good old Gladwell says, 10,000 hours. If a person spent about three hours a day working on it, six days a week, it would take about ten years to master. It may take, as you and Nii mention, a year or two to become proficient. But proficiency isn't mastery.

(2) If you know how well your clothes fit, and you're happy with them, then why did you ask for feedback in the Tailors' Thread?

(3) If I can speak for the mods, we don't want it to become a club of high end bespoke customers. But we don't want it to dissolve into a free-for-all. This is the way I describe SF to non-members: "It's a bunch of guys who are dedicated to the pursuit of excellence. They're drawn together by their interest in clothing, but they discuss pretty much any topic from politics to advanced cooking techniques. And you'll find a world-class expert on any topic you could imagine." I would hate for SF to abandon what I think makes it great: a group of guys dedicated to the pursuit of excellence.

1) I still think it's not that hard. But we can respect each other's opinion. :)

2) I never really asked for any feedback on any of my clothing purchases, but that jacket was weird. I really wanted a second opinion. Also, I wanted the problem put into words other than mine. I'm not a tailor and I'm not proficient with the terms, so it's hard to explain to my tailor what I mean sometimes.

3) I think we're really not missing that right now. We're all striving for greatness, but it doesn't mean being unhappy with what you have if you cannot afford bespoke or excessive tailoring. Excellence may be defined in many ways; I would like to define it as looking your best given your financial, geographical or other limitations.

emptym

Reaction score

1) I still think it's not that hard. But we can respect each other's opinion. :)

2) I never really asked for any feedback on any of my clothing purchases, but that jacket was weird. I really wanted a second opinion. Also, I wanted the problem put into words other than mine. I'm not a tailor and I'm not proficient with the terms, so it's hard to explain to my tailor what I mean sometimes.

3) I think we're really not missing that right now. We're all striving for greatness, but it doesn't mean being unhappy with what you have if you cannot afford bespoke or excessive tailoring. Excellence may be defined in many ways; I would like to define it as looking your best given your financial, geographical or other limitations.

Sounds good. My old sig, the one I had for about three years, indicated my views about how much there is to learn -- about clothing or anything, really: "As the island of our knowledge grows, so do the shores of our ignorance." The more we know, the more we know there is to know. It should be humbling. And it can be daunting. But it can be exhilarating to those who love the journey of discovery. Guys who embody this well for me here include Despos or a tailor, men who have spent decades devoted to learning about clothing. I'd bet they have more questions than the average noob or "senior member." More humility too. And we can all be like that.

Thus, in terms of happiness/unhappiness, I think there is a healthy moderation in unhappiness. We should always be "on the way," looking behind and thus happy with how far we've progressed but also looking ahead at how far we have to go. Of course such "looking ahead" can make us happy too. As "the most interesting man in the world" recommends, "Stay thirsty, my friends."

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When Vox is being a dick, he does it tastefully.

Sounds good. My old sig, the one I had for about three years, indicated my views about how much there is to learn -- about clothing or anything, really: "As the island of our knowledge grows, so do the shores of our ignorance." The more we know, the more we know there is to know. It should be humbling. And it can be daunting. But it can be exhilarating to those who love the journey of discovery. Guys who embody this well for me here include Despos or a tailor, men who have spent decades devoted to learning about clothing. I'd bet they have more questions than the average noob or "senior member." More humility too. And we can all be like that.

Thus, in terms of happiness/unhappiness, I think there is a healthy moderation in unhappiness. We should always be "on the way," looking behind and thus happy with how far we've progressed but also looking ahead at how far we have to go. Of course such "looking ahead" can make us happy too. As "the most interesting man in the world" recommends, "Stay thirsty, my friends."

that is a great quote
and i think i was happier in my ignorance ... ("ignorance is bliss")
since discovering styleforum, my wallet is empty and i am constantly stressing over what to buy and wear

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UC, I think Manton is right. I think overall, it might look better with bals, too but I might not think that if the pants were a bit longer.

Overall, though, very excellent. The collar looks fine to me.

Ah...I think that's it. I've only worn it with bals for fittings & since I got it a month or so ago, and this is the first time with derby-style boots. Note to self: bals only.

Would have never noticed this without you nitpickers :)

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, what you're wearing is really insignificant, as long as you don't look like a clown. So there's no point to stress about it too much.

emptym

Reaction score

At the end of the day, what you're wearing is really insignificant, as long as you don't look like a clown. So there's no point to stress about it too much.

Mediocrity isn't all bad. Although, I believe CS Lewis once wrote that there's something Satanic in that.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If wearing mediocre clothes makes one mediocre, he or she really has a problem that bespoke clothing won't solve.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Post some picks of yourself please, show your face (dont hide it) and put on your best fitting suit. If you are a bronzed adonis and carry a suit better than anyone on SF, I will take my hat off to you respectfully. Most post pics in good faith wanting praise/recognition or constructive criticism. Telling a guy he should go lift weights to fit a suit is about the most unhelpful "serious" comment I have ever heard. If you made that comment in jest, I would probably find it amusing, but I do not detect a jestful undertone. The only thing I agree with in your post is that Orgetorix's suit jackets are a bit short. But he has already acknowledged the problem, so telling him something he already knows is plain old ..... (you figure out the word).

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score

If wearing mediocre clothes makes one mediocre, he or she really has a problem that bespoke clothing won't solve.

Everything matters. But you're right that some things matter more than others and that context counts.

This is why, excellence, or virtue, as jj-m's friend Aristotle would say, can only be known by a virtuous person who has insight into a particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads