Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

Yes, yes...in the Aristotelean sense it is not banal at all. That certainly changes everything...now it definitely sds less like a cliche and more like a cliche from someone learned

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Such a pleasant person you are. Look, I was making a point, it's not a mean in the sense of center between two extremes or opposites, it's mean in these of the most desirable point between those opposites, which point happens to be not the dead center but closer to one of the alternatives than the other. The extremes of courage are cowardice and rashness. Courage is closer to rashness but it is not rashness. Get it?

3. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Believe it or not, conceptually I understand what you are saying. There needs to be a certain fluidity in the garment that should account for one's body in a tailored garment vs. an RTW one (that even has the basic tailoring). I guess now I just need to get better at identifying it.

While I know there is a lot of criticism against Foo where 1/2 the camp still feels his R stuff does nothing for him, I do recognize a certain shape to his garments that are specific to him and his body. Many times, that's all you can ask for. Can't turn the dude into Brad Pitt or Vox.

4. swiego

swiego Senior member

This has been a fascinating conversation for a relative lurker still trying to establish his stylistic sensibilities.

The point quoted above does make me curious, however. Is his look the result of his knowledge and taste, or that of his tailor(s)?

See, as one of those "newbies" I rather like Spoo's looks, because rather than giving me insight into what a top tier bespoke tailor can do for me, which is not relevant to me at this stage in my life, they better educate me about how to make more of what I already have. Admitting that I see some of the fit issues described, what I look for in Spoo's pictures are great ensemble arrangements: beautifully coordinated items that (to me) convey a great deal of emotion. Is that not a sign of a person with great knowledge and taste?

5. Manton

ed's jacket above is RTW but it looks very good to me on precisely the terms I am advocating here. So it's not, in the final analysis, a RTW v. bespoke thing. Though certainly there are some bodies that RTW cannot well serve and foo's would be one of them. So would mine but I think I can get away with RTW easier than he can.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you genuinely believe I do it well -- and feel free to say if you don't -- I don't see the need to put on further evidence. I'm the cheapest man alive.

While a lot of the RTW we see here is poorly chosen or put together unfortunately, a good bit of the bespoke stuff posted online strikes me as dull or dowdy or just plain bad. Some folks substitute prestige for good taste, and that's true of both RTW and bespoke.

The people I think are really well dressed would be well dressed in either bespoke or RTW. The right tailor helps, no doubt, and pushes the boundaries of what can be achieved. But that, IMO, in no way explains the problems you're describing here. If it were that simple, it would be a lot more understandable, and much more excusable.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

here is the sole problem with this post. aside from the point about money, you said the same thing i did a few pages ago. but since i am nobody i get no props. thanks mang. really thanks a lot.

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

9. Manton

OK, great, Aristotle is "hackneyed." Which sock are you again? Anyway, done.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011

10. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

My pencil is long and yellow.

12. jj-moody

The sentiment cobra...the sentiment. God bless.

13. jj-moody

It is much much easier to be better dressed bespoke than RTW, especially, but not mainly, if you have a peculiar body type. I think RTW takes a lot more time and thought, and searching. You can just tell the tailor what you want and it is done. Try finding alligator skin elbow patches in a store! I've seen gator skins patches on this site I think, although I am not sure. Decadent!

14. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

huh?

also if what i think is happening is happening

[​IMG]

15. cronicmole

cronicmole Senior member

I think everyone should remember just because you buy the most expensive articles of clothing and everything SF suggests.. doesn't mean you will automatically be a good dresser. Also, I wanted to point out are we sure that Spoo's money doesn't measure up to M.Anton's? Hats the proper way to say it, the Jay-z in me,however wants to say: Are we certain Spoos paper isn't as long or longer than Mantons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.