HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I agree with this, I enjoy your posts.

3. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

Your main gripe against lufty was that he was boring, which is trite. The problem is with the sack suits, but it is his conscious decision to dress that way. So he is, in effect, doing his own thang, even if it doesn't jibe with a more tailored clothing. That doesn't mean it looks good in my eyes though.

4. black_umbrella

black_umbrella Senior member

Quite the display of the american "sack" fit.

5. SpooPoker

TTO and luftvier are in that picture. True story.

6. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

is it safe to post a picture now? can't believe there is so much criticism of spoo's fits

[​IMG]
    business up top
    party on the bottom
    [​IMG]
    no ps today... i laid out my white cotton ps but forgot to put it on after tying my tie

7. Christopher Essex

Christopher Essex Senior member

Hold the phone...you can properly express your thoughts with correct spelling and grammar? Did you hit your head this afternoon? ;)

8. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

The Spoopoker/Manton comparison photograph that I posted earlier can be used for a lot of things.

Some examples:

1. Both guys often, or even usually, take terrible photographs of themselves, typically from an above-midpoint, close-in angle. Their typical shot often keystones the photo. These two shots are some of the most objective since they are among the few that are relatively straight on. Both are slim, healthy, low BMI guys. In fact, Manton is taller and heavier in about the same approximate proportion as Spoo, based on what each has told me about their height and weight. Neither is athletic. WAYWRN's most prolific Russian, who is strong like bear, is. He would bend both like beet-infused pretzel and then have his tailor pick stitch them around their edges. Their postures are different, and that is very important, but Spoo and Manton are basically skinny dudes. Most of you are chubby, they are not. They are good clothes hangers.

2. When you look at the photos, what is the reaction? Not specifically, but overall? It seems to me that if you cannot tell Manton is by far better dressed...as Spoo, good guy that he is, instantly recognized...then you will never, ever get it...or you're an Underwear Typist.

3. Why is Manton the better dressed? First of all, he should be. He is knowledgable, mature in his aesthetics, deeply familiar with the form and meaning of tailored clothes, grew up among males in coat and tie, and has more money and leisure time for clothes than Spoo, who works night and day like a dog when he's not amassing iammatt-like post counts on SF. Spoo is younger, Manton is older. Will Spoo catch up or will it be Zeno all over again? Who can say? But, please don't tell me they are the same unless your intent is to invalidate everything else that you write...or you are attempting an amusing game. But then, be amusing.

4. This will be unpopular, but here goes: Manton's look requires more knowledge (certainly), more sophisticated taste (maybe, but that's what I think), but in the end, it requires more money. Cashola. [Shout it out, brutha Reevolving!] It requires that because tailors who produce that look are not cheap and do not sell stuff through Gilt Groupe. There are not many of these tailors. Their numbers and availability decline as each day passes. The products that they produce occupy narrowing niches in everyday life. Three of them might comment in that new SF-MC fit thread, but there is one overall meaning to their commentary: your tailor sucks.

Court dress, day dress, evening dress, lounge clothes, all circle the drain, spiral, spiral, until the sink is but dry. What is left is coat and tie as amusement wear. One year it's the ripped stonewashed jean. Another?

Ovadia and Sons.

What do the rest of you see in the photos? Tell the truth.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's some me-like earnestness, V. Unusual for you.

That said, as you might guess, I disagree with your thesis. If anything, too much money is being spent on SF these days, indiscriminately.

I won't single out Spoo. He's come a long way.

SF isn't a contest, but a certain competitive spirit drives its baser impulses.

10. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

i am patiently waiting for lufty to Like your post.

:lol: :lol:

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Perhaps I haven't learned shit, and #2 applies to me. Overall, just based on the photos, I think the right photo (i.e., Manton) is put together better if we are considering all elements of style (fabric, colors, etc.). But in terms of fit, I honestly think they look quite similar. If there are significant differences in the fit of the outfits (waist supression, button placement, fit of jacket around collar, V shape of the lapels, etc.), that signal costly bespoke and why Manton's fit is much better, I'm dying to hear the excrutiating details, if one would be so kind to indulge.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I am working on being more athletic. Well, not really, but I do swim and lift weights.

13. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

Very lyrical again. I take it you don't like Ovadia and Sons? I have a horizontal striped shirt from them. I am Gordon Gecko.

All that is well, except for the insinuation that Spoo's outfits betray a lack of knowledge and refinement. Not necessarily so. And their physiques seem a little different. I would think Spoo has a more muscular build than Manton.

However, in terms of knowledge and mature aesthetics and so forth--you are over-emphasizing their significance. In fact, if you have money and job that doesn't let you dress like you are in a music video--then you can saunter to a prestige tailor and have your clothes made for you and many conservative choices made for you with only a passing thought. At least, that is how it started for me when my father first sent me to the tailor many many years ago.

14. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  15. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

At least this thread had been pretty lively, recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.