HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's a perfectly valid opinion to think that sack suits are dull, dumpy and boring. But fit's an entirely separate issue. It's possible to have a sack that is dull, dumpy and boring, yet fits perfectly. Similarly, a Tom Ford suit might look all sleek and sexy and yet fit poorly.

The forum has always struggled with this distinction. It does no good to buy the best quality if it doesn't look good. But, at the same time, diagnosing fit flaws shouldn't be seen as a personal insult. Pat Macnee's Avengers suits sometimes gapped at the collar but they're still my favorite 20th century menswear.

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Phew...I was thinking to myself...if THAT doesn't fit...

3. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

You don't think that your implication that people said spoo's fit had egregious errors was hyperbole? Come on, a Savile Row blazer is riding on this!
    +1! While your text implies a comparison of Lufty and Spoo will follow, I hope we all know that's Spoo and Manton. This may all be entirely personal opinion, but I prefer Manton's for the softer shoulders, more shapely arms, higher-necked shirt collar, sublter square, and harmony of color. These differences are small, but put together, the overall effect is great.
    You've been great imo, fwiw. I agree w/ your thoughts on Nii's fit.
    Thanks for not responding to violence w/ violence earlier.
    You call that magnificent? Now here's haughty hyperbole if I ever heard it.
    Very nice. When you have the time, please post a thread comparing your Hemrajani to Dege and Skinner. I have a couple Hemrajani shirts on order due to Will's advice, and I'd like to know how I can be unhappy with them even before I get them.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

What in the holy hell happened here? I was busy all morning then decided to check for updates on what I thought was a pretty innocuous fit.... and 50 pages worth later, SF you do not dissapoint. lol.

I dont have the time to properly address all that I feel I should, so Ill be back late tonight with some meaningful rebuttals, insights, and commentary.

I do want to specifically thank Manton for acknowledging a fit and providing critique, I think that has only happened once. (for srs)

And LOL Corby come on with that pic, that suit was big and I was at my skinniest... you could have changed it to one that I think fits better, even I know its off... Manton pwns me in that pic.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  5. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

The issue has been more about my dislike of sack suits, and perhaps I have been careless about my wording. His sack suits technically fit him, but they are not of a cut that is aesthetically pleasing, especially for those who have clothes tailored.

6. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Don't hate. The tie rules :spam:

7. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Sorry for crappy iPhone pics as always....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

post pics!
    Makes sense. Manton and Despos' posts above have helped too. I think someone should start a thread about this distinction. Who will perform this service to the community? Any volunteers?
    Ya, as I mentioned in pms, sack suits are very American due to our love for the common man. We tend to ridicule those who seem to care too much about their appearance. Tight waists, bright colors, etc. are the most noticeable signs of this, and thus are things to get rid of if one's goal is not to draw attention to one's clothing.
    I was only joking my friend. The barb was aimed at our beloved tie maker more than its wearer.

10. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

That is funny. I somehow imagine Spoo as an ex-baseball player, for some reason. Especially when it was discovered he had some chin hair on him.

11. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I don't know, I think this photo is pointing out the irony. Despite Mantons' critique of your fits, the fit of the suits in the side-by-side look highly similar in the two photos. Putting aside the differences in the shoulder construction and fabric (which are inconsequential here IMO), the button placement, waist, hanging of the sleeves, the straight V above the buttoning point and the way the jacket sits on the collars is, based on the photos, for all intents and purposes, the same. Basically, your fit is just like Manton's.

12. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

The last time I volunteered for such duty on a forum, it was made into the least popular sticky (pinned) thread, ever and I was subsequently tapped to become a moderator.

So, anyhow...will such a thread give the OP Mr.K or Masster-Classter status with an MC thread pinning?

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Are you referring to just letting out the fit around the chest a bit or something else?

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

He is talking about [cue sinister music] ... drape!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.