• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vimsig

Reaction score

Today was a long day. Shirt = Boggi, tie = panta, suit = Ring Jacket.

0Q86F.jpg

That tie is fantastic and the suit jacket just looks so smooth. Great look!

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm assuming you mean me, but I only wear a four in hand, I don't really pay the type of attention to tie knots that people do around here. I just knot the tie and how it comes out is how it comes out.

I also don't wear those wide spread collar shirts...

+1, this

Last edited:

ndw

Reaction score

I'm assuming you mean me, but I only wear a four in hand, I don't really pay the type of attention to tie knots that people do around here. I just knot the tie and how it comes out is how it comes out. I much prefer to err of the side of too small knot that too large and think most knots people wear are way too big. This knot is actually bigger and wider than I prefer. I also don't wear those wide spread collar shirts so windsors/half windsors never really crosses my mind. For me, the shirt collar should be the focus of that area, not the knot.
The question is - do you pay attention to your shoelace knots?
^ That is PERFECT!!
Thanks.
Ndw, how would you say the Ring jackets fit?
I wish I had Ed's sportcoat collection. RIng Jacket is good quality for the price, but the fit is definitely not for the American market. The coat's shoulders slope forward slightly and it is larger in the chest and more shaped in the waist than pretty much any other RTW I've tried. My suit fits fine and the fabric is great, but I had to have it altered because it was nothing like my build which is pretty average (there was plenty of seam allowance in both pants and jacket). I'd recommend finding an opportunity to try on a piece.

Knowledge is King

Reaction score

I wish I had Ed's sportcoat collection. RIng Jacket is good quality for the price, but the fit is definitely not for the American market. The coat's shoulders slope forward slightly and it is larger in the chest and more shaped in the waist than pretty much any other RTW I've tried. My suit fits fine and the fabric is great, but I had to have it altered because it was nothing like my build which is pretty average (there was plenty of seam allowance in both pants and jacket). I'd recommend finding an opportunity to try on a piece.

How does it fit compared to your La Vera stuff? I've tried on La Vera before and would love to hear a comparison of how the jackets fit in the same size.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think this looks great! But what really prompted my reply was what was in the background... is that really a typewriter?!

Aye, it's a 1960 Remington Travel-Riter Deluxe. I use it mainly for correspondence as my handwriting is terrible.

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I said you had a twinkish appearance, not that you were a twink.

Classic case of the pot calling the kettle smooth.

I'd think, Kevin, that your recent run-in with Victor's legal team would make you a bit less eager to engage in another shootout. :tounge:

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Keep 'm comin', edmorel. Good to see you posting. Wonder how this shirt would look with your last outfit (colourwise), btw.

The question is - do you pay attention to your shoelace knots?

:)

Last edited:

jj-moody

Reaction score
I don't have a preference between too tight and too big, I just think a lot of people mistake fit for tight. My own clothes are pretty darn trim, but not tight. Anyway, yeah, the fit he prefers makes him look like he has a huge head, tiny shoulders and a big belly. That isn't a particularly good look, and while we all have our own shape, we can dress around it without disguising who we are. I hope he doesn't have me on ignore, because I am trying to instruct him on some ways he could improve.

I've been reading this thread and wonder how would fix niidawg's proportion problem? Especially with regards to your comments about his casual attire, how would you fix the issue with proportion? It is one thing to just point an error out but quite another to have some solution for it. Moreover, I've read your comments about spoopoker's fits. What exactly is wrong with his fits--too tight? I don't feel you articulated clearly enough, at least for such a slow learner as myself, what precisely is wrong with his fits. I read the post of another user, who said his fits have "deep systematic flaws". That comment made me chuckle. I know many pretentious people but to try to speak esoterically about the fit of suit is something else. You'd think you weren't talking about something you can measure and alter directly, but some kind of abstraction. These are ramblings which detract from an actual critique that is grounded in reality and can possibly lead to an improvement in fit.

I am very curious of course because you've mentioned that you think luftvier's fits are superior to spoopoker's, which is a very unusual comment for someone very concerned about fit. The right fit is paramount. Luftvier's suits, except for the last grey one, are non-fits. Forgive me for any brashness, but it is the most easily achievable of all fits. You don't need to go bespoke if that is your 'aesthetic', and if you have a lean frame it is an even easier fit to achieve. Not to criticize luftvier's style, as apparently that is the look he is going for.

It is easiest to criticize the fit of a suit, as that is where the discussion can get most technical. Other things, such as the appropriateness of wearing a black cap toe or whether there is too much broguing, are variables that cannot be discussed with a similar level of objectiveness. So if problem is with fit, then it is one of the few topics that deserves a rather generous explanation.

Last edited:

ndw

Reaction score

How does it fit compared to your La Vera stuff? I've tried on La Vera before and would love to hear a comparison of how the jackets fit in the same size.

Honestly, I prefer not to comment on fit too much and brand comparisons because everyone has their size and fitting quirks and I feel my comments are relatively useless because what works for me may not work for you. That said, La Vera requires zero alterations for me so the added expense is worth it (to me) for the quality and knowing what to expect.

Grey jacket, blue shirt and shepards check tie, huh?

077.jpg

Is that the same fabric (cashmere) that you used for pants? A suit in that would be great (but very warm, no?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads