HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Dont dread the full length shot. You look good in this pic.

Trouser waist height good, trouser length (break) good. Shirt fits well and collar stand height good. Colour contrast good between shirt and SC. SC tail hem length is about an inch short but not very noticable. PS is dowdy in colour and fabric too heavy with the corduroy.

2. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

What does GQ know about style anyway. They deal in fashion, dont they!!

3. deandbn

deandbn Senior member

Gee Kevin I think you must have touched on an extremely raw nerve there Bud.

The Lady protests too much, she must be a closet case.

Far too close to home I'm afraid Darling!!

4. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

Are those Incotex or Mabitex?

5. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

One of the best photos I have ever seen on SF ever.

Details on the shirt, tie and of course jacket.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

love how they have their little hats on.

Are you in BA for work?

7. kcc

kcc Senior member

Love this look; black shoes and a non-tv-fold square would have completed the look, IMO.

8. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

It's Abbath of Immortal. So you're right to be reminded of them. Note, however, that Immortal is still around making albums and touring.

UC always looks sharp. He and I have a different approach and stylistic preferences, I think, but similar elements. Also, I'd be careful about using the terms "rocks too much sack" out of context. :happy:

:lol:

It wasn't an insult, it was a playful quip. Perhaps we should have a playful quip font?

Not all of my coats are sack coats, nor are all of my suits. However, it's become the style I prefer most. It "suits" the most because it's anonymous. This is sort of my goal - which I realize is also silly since we're discussing this on an forum where folks are obsessing over fit.

Flusser's thoughts:

The Sack, or Brooks Brothers Natural-Shoulder, Suit

The sack, or the Brooks Brothers natural-shoulder, suit has been, for almost a century now, the backbone of American clothing. First popularized near the turn of the century, it was a silhouette characterized by a shapeless, nondarted jacket with narrow shoulders (which were soft and unpadded) as well as by flap pockets, a single rear vent, and a three- or four-button front. Designed large in order to fit many sizes, it was the first mass-produced suit and it looks it. After all, it was not called the sack suit for nothing.

Perhaps the biggest strength of the sack silhouette is also its basic weakness: it hides the shape of its wearer and takes away any sense of individuality. The reason it has managed to exist successfully for such a long period of time is simply that it appeals to the common denominator. Since it is so anonymous, it offends no one, enabling the wearer to walk into any environment and be acceptably attired.

For those seeking anonymity in their clothing, or wishing to hide an ungainly figure, this may be an acceptable style. But for anyone else, the sack-style suit is woefully inappropriate.

For those who're worried about it or think it's insulting: Think about how many times you've called someone "gay", or other more derogatory terms for gay men, in jest. Now get over being called a twink, or powerbottom. It was an OTT comment meant to poke a little fun at the OTT response to being called twink. Provocative? Perhaps, but it was meant only to highlight the total overreaction.

I just noted this ad from 1961. Note the price of $145. That's about $1,050.00 today, accounting for inflation. Prices really haven't changed all that much.
    [​IMG]

9. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Yes, I remember, and you were right.

But that you consider me among the more consistent in this thread speaks more about the absence of the old guard than any of my own acts.

10. TTO

TTO Senior member

11. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

:lookaround: Not white, but not much better. I rushed out yesterday morning, popped the suit in the car, saw that I didn't have socks in my go bag, & asked my wife to grab me a pair of socks. When she asked me what color I was wearing, I said blue, and she brought me those. Didn't have time to change. :embar:
    Luft's look may be relatively staid, but the components he chooses elevate it from being just another "suit." It doesn't stand out, but it still looks good. There's something to be said when an outfit is more than just the sum of their parts. It's when someone adds to their suit a tasteful shirt & tie, a well-chosen pair of shoes & socks (although don't look to me for advice on the latter). One doesn't have to go for "WOW!" Just wear something that fits and don't wear anything ugly. If the look is pleasing to the eye, one has succeeded. Pretty much as simple as that.

12. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Brilliant excuse. :)

13. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

You should have seen her face. She felt so proud :rolleyes:

14. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

[​IMG]

Jacket - Turnbull & Asser