HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Back home again...

[​IMG]
    And there was a new belt from Equus at the post office waiting for me, so I couldn't resist trying it on:

[​IMG]

3. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Details on SC?

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm not sure quite what you are implying with your remarks about conversation skills, given that this is a thread about what we are wearing and I am in no position to comment on the social skills of either you or luftvier, nor would I dream of doing so.

Luftvier's explanation makes sense to me. I have no disagreement with that. He's dressing for a particular context, of which I was not aware since I don't know him, and in that context, it's pretty much as top notch as you can get.

My comment was really directed at your blanket statement that it was far superior to anything else posted recently, which would would seem to imply that you mean irrespective of any such context. If one is talking style in general, that's where my comments come in. If I misunderstood the scope of your statement, then you can safely ignore my comment. And there's certainly no need to turn to argumentum ad absurdum: I don't think flourescent dildos were the kind of thing I was implying, although if that's the first thing you think of when someone mentions taking a few stylistic risks, I'd suggest you might want to keep it to yourself! [​IMG]

5. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

To be honest I hope this is a joke. I really do not like the shirt.

6. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

This is great, the only issue are the socks and shoes. Otherwise I really like the look, this is YOUR best one yet. Great job

7. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

iammatt's comments come from something that all who work with colors and patterns realize: it's far too easy to go wrong. How can it be done right?

The easiest is to wear solid everything and the same color, preferably grey, navy, or brown. You won't offend anyone. It gets progressively more difficult when you add different colors & patterns, and requires more than just throwing stuff together, or saying, "this purple tie with chartreuse saddles brings out the purple overcheck in my jacket, so that must mean it goes!"

Look at Lufty: all patterns are a different scale. All the patterns are muted. The colors complement each other. That is something that can be worn in the office.

That's not to say that mixing bright colors and patterns can't be done. Oldog/oldtrix does it very well. Mind you, he's the only one that does it well. If that is more your speed, check out his fits for inspiration.

8. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Nothing wrong w/ subtlety. In fact, in a world full of people trying to stand out, it may be the greatest of risks. And iammatt wasn't making a judgment about Lufty's conversational skills. He was just saying that, in general, a lawyer who wants to stand out does so better by what he says than by what he wears.

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Quote:
    Hmm. Clever, subtle in itself. I like it.

10. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    i just realized hat it has contrast colors on each sleeve.. i couldn't scream NO!!! any louder

11. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Sigged.

12. freedom_fries

freedom_fries Senior member

that's actually a homer simpson quote. true story.

13. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Theres much truth in this. When I started here, I was an idiot. I looked like shit 90% of the time, but was convinced that I was "standing out" and that was worth it. Look at some of my old fits if they're still around. Awful styles, colors, cuts, and just general ugliness.

It took a lot of browbeating from other members, some experience in the Trad thread at AAAC, and the CBD thread to really make me understand the concept that simpler is often better. Moreover, as a young attorney in private practice, I can't afford to look like a stylewhore. Many of my first suits were far too small and slim for me to project any credibility with the court or with clients. At the time, I thought I looked great. Now, in retrospect, I just shake my head.

Standing out is overrated. If you can dress well and coordinate, yet not get any complements IRL on your clothes, I think you've succeeded. At least, in my line of work. I look around and see a lot of attorneys who're wearing ostentatiously expensive clothing, but it just looks bad because 1) it's too flashy; 2) it doesn't fit; 3) it doesn't coordinate at all; or 4) some/all of the above. There are also those who dress like slobs. Both are extremes that stand out.

I've decided I want to be understated, yet well-coordinated. I don't always reach that goal.

Some of the best dressers here (past and present) manage that balance perfectly. Their coordination is masterful, yet you may not give them a second look IRL because it's "boring".

14. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Yesterday. Four patterns. Not too crazy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

That's great. It was like a thousand degrees yesterday, so kind of silly, but great looking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.