HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

^ New Order FTW

I have a bad habit of walking in the sun in all of my fit pics and that means furrowed brows and disappointed faces [​IMG]

At least you have a reason. In my case I blame genetics.

2. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

Upr_C ... i think your fits have been off lately. suit jackets in particular have looked poorly shaped in the shoulders and too tight in the chest.

upr - I don't mind the straw fedora at all, but the tie really needs to be lighter in shade to cope with it. The jacket looks like trying to slip off you; is it that warm in NYC already? [​IMG]

Gentlemen, I will have to review the photos of my recent fits (the last week or so's), because I am genuinely puzzled by your comments. Nii, if anything, my overal weight in 2011 has been on a gentle downward trend, and some of the suits that I've worn in the last week have been significantly larger than my current size. Unless somehow my moobs are growing on their own, I cannot explain "too tight in the chest". Holdfast, is that what you're alluding to with "jacket looks like trying to slip off you?".

As for the shape of the shoulders, that could be caused by long periods of time between wearings, left on dry cleaner's hangers (with cardboard and tissue paper stuffing, to be sure).

As for the tie vs. the fedora, holdfast, I chose the tie in conjunction with the suit and shirt, and not necessarily thinking about the hat. The hat was worn because it was cool enough this morning to warrant just a bit of insulation for my expose pate, and it is warm enough (AND sunny enough) to warrant sun protection this afternoon. (It is a genuinely lovely spring day in NYC today - to be followed by rain tomorrow, and cooler weather the rest of the week - I acknowledge pushing the season with the hat.)

3. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Went to a garden wedding this weekend... [​IMG] Closeup/Deets:
    [​IMG] Linen/silk SC OC shirt Linen tie Wool gab trou Suede captoes ...thought a pocket square would be too much in this particular instance...​

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Nii, if anything, my overal weight in 2011 has been on a gentle downward trend, and some of the suits that I've worn in the last week have been significantly larger than my current size. Unless somehow my moobs are growing on their own, I cannot explain "too tight in the chest". Holdfast, is that what you're alluding to with "jacket looks like trying to slip off you?".
    I suspect both Nii and I are noticing the same thing, though we found different ways to describe it. Look at the lapels, and see how they bow outwards? That gives the jacket the illusion of falling off you. As Nii suggests, it's probably because the chest circumference on the jacket is too narrow for the rest of your build. Or, you just happened to be unconsciously puffing your chest out for the photo, which is not impossible, come to think of it.
    Yes, I figured as much. I was teasing a little with that comment, to be honest. [​IMG] UrbanComposition - now THAT'S a jacket! Very fun. Did you upstage the bride and groom? [​IMG]

5. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

UrbanComposition - now THAT'S a jacket!

Very fun. Did you upstage the bride and groom? [​IMG]

I wouldn't be surprised if he upstaged the bride and groom three weddings over. [​IMG]

No way I could pull that off. Good on ya UC.

6. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

7. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

you have nice clothes, but your pose is ridiculous man. relax a bit - unless that is how you stand naturally, in which case, i dont know what to say.
    Nii, if anything, my overal weight in 2011 has been on a gentle downward trend, and some of the suits that I've worn in the last week have been significantly larger than my current size.
    Yes - some have looked too big in the shoulders and too tight in the chest, which is kinda strange because you would think it would be both big or small. I think it may be the cut of the particular brand of suits you prefer or buy a lot. I do believe even for RTW, there is a fairly decent number of suits out there that would fit you better than BB and HF - even on discount. Also one thing i've noted with myself (not sure if it applies to you) ... but the scale does not always tell the true fluctuations of my body. i could lose weight but increase girth etc. I use the scale for my health needs, and the tape measure for my sartorial needs

8. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

nii,

Re: stance--Not sure what to do about it. The only option I have for pic taking is the view you see here (limited space, no tripod, self-timer, etc.). I'll cop to feeling awkward, but standing still and looking head on is all I really know or care to do. TBO, nothing seems more douchey to me than the lifestye-ish pics that are so obviously affected. With a notable few exceptions (yours included among those, actually, along with PG's which are obviously well executed, and several others too), I find most of those ridiculous and laughable. Bottom line, for my pics, I'm really only interested in getting reactions to the clothes, not the attractiveness of the images themselves, which is admittedly and purposefully negligible.

Of course I'm not unaware that the grace and ease with which they're worn is one of the things that makes the man wear the clothes and not the other way around, but I'm taking for granted, at my own risk of course, that that comes across IRL. Besides, given the constraints, I don't know how I'd pull off something that conveys that anyways, though I guess I'm theoretically open to suggestions.

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

How about you start by relaxing your arms by your sides instead of curling your hands inward on your thighs - that way you'll more like a relaxed gentleman not an uptight gorilla? You'll be amazed by how much better your clothes will look when you appear more at ease. Now try a Spoo - one hand in pocket, one foot slightly forwards - work it baby work it, you're an ANIMAL baby Grrrrrr!

10. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

nii,

Re: stance--Not sure what to do about it. The only option I have for pic taking is the view you see here (limited space, no tripod, self-timer, etc.). I'll cop to feeling awkward, but standing still and looking head on is all I really know or care to do. TBO, nothing seems more douchey to me than the lifestye-ish pics that are so obviously affected. With a notable few exceptions (yours included among those, actually, along with PG's which are obviously well executed, and several others too), I find most of those ridiculous and laughable. Bottom line, for my pics, I'm really only interested in getting reactions to the clothes, not the attractiveness of the images themselves, which is admittedly and purposefully negligible.

Of course I'm not unaware that the grace and ease with which they're worn is one of the things that makes the man wear the clothes and not the other way around, but I'm taking for granted, at my own risk of course, that that comes across IRL. Besides, given the constraints, I don't know how I'd pull off something that conveys that anyways, though I guess I'm theoretically open to suggestions.

Some helpful advice I got from PG was to lift your arms and twirl before taking the pic. I've found it keeps me from stiffening up. It loosens you up, which I think is part of what's being talked about.

11. Edgar Allan Pwn

nii,

I get what you're saying about not wanting to seem affected, but you've swung the other way to the point where it's actually rather distracting. Nearly every time you post hardly anyone bothers to comment on anything but your posture.

You don't have to set up your camera on the riverside and take a picture of yourself floating downstream on a gondola or anything. Just try to relax.

It would also be nice to be able to see the full outfit, and a closeup of the jacket/shirt/tie/PS area (PG does this particularly well), but I get what you're saying about your technical constraints. Maybe there's somewhere in your home where you can set up to get a full view? Or get a cheap gorilla pod to mount your camera.

12. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

[​IMG] But I've been told that the silverback is my power animal!
    I get what you're saying about not wanting to seem affected, but you've swung the other way to the point where it's actually rather distracting. Nearly every time you post hardly anyone bothers to comment on anything but your posture. You don't have to set up your camera on the riverside and take a picture of yourself floating downstream on a gondola or anything. Just try to relax. It would also be nice to be able to see the full outfit, and a closeup of the jacket/shirt/tie/PS area (PG does this particularly well), but I get what you're saying about your technical constraints. Maybe there's somewhere in your home where you can set up to get a full view? Or get a cheap gorilla pod to mount your camera.
    Doing this at home is probably not in the cards; I already feel like it consumes enough of my time to post on here as is, so I'm pretty unmotivated to buy equipment or experiment with new venues. I'll try to relax a bit more in future pics and see where that gets me. That damn self-timed beeper countdown that speeds up at the end is probably making me tense up! I'll see if I have some earplugs lying around . . . [​IMG]

13. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

You don't have to set up your camera on the riverside and take a picture of yourself floating downstream on a gondola or anything. Just try to relax.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

btw hai Rob (NYR)
    [​IMG]

14. Edgar Allan Pwn

Doing this at home is probably not in the cards; I already feel like it consumes enough of my time to post on here as is, so I'm pretty unmotivated to buy equipment or experiment with new venues. I'll try to relax a bit more in future pics and see where that gets me. That damn self-timed beeper coutdown that speeds up at the end is probably making me tense up! I'll see if I have some earplugs lying around . . . [​IMG]

Cool. It's a handy tripod, but if you're not otherwise into photography it probably would be a waste. I also assumed you were taking these at home. Just trying to figure something out.

15. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

Closeup/Deets:

[​IMG]

Linen/silk SC
    OC shirt
    Linen tie
    Wool gab trou
    Suede captoes

...thought a pocket square would be too much in this particular instance...

[/center]

The tie seems a little close in color and tone to the SC, but maybe that's just me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.