Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

OK, it's official...Fall is here.

That tie knot looks like it is the cousin of a Half-Windsor today....must be one thick-ass tie.

2. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

Looks like RLPL to me.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

OK, fair enough, and I agree - but let's be clear that what we're talking about is PERCEPTION of the Confederate flag, and the other types of people that showcase it, not the inherent moral value of the Confederacy.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I just shuddered thinking about what it would look like if I could have posted WAYWRN pics in high school. :embar:

5. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

This is some pro level shit here. The shape of both the collar and the tie give this a wonderful symmetry, and then you have these gorgeously bold patterns and colors that have nothing whatever to do with one another. Brass balls and a keen eye. Truly the work of a master. Mazel tov, sir.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I can agree that the issues that surrounded the Civil War are far removed enough from present-day society that some of the morality can be muddled. But all that really matters is how it is perceived today; and I personally would not want to be associated with the overwhelming majority of people who continue to use it as a symbol, and I would hate for the international community to look at our country as being welcoming to those who still hold those views.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

7. hellodocks

hellodocks Senior member

This is absolutely steezy. The glasses accentuate everything else to make this simply classic, and the ring adds just the touch.

8. unbelragazzo

I grew up in the South too and of course have seen some of the same people you have seen showing the flag as a symbol of their hatred for others who are different. We can all agree we don't want to support that. But I would hope you have also noticed that the South has a distinct heritage and regional pride that no other area of the country has. And I know people who consider the flag a symbol of that heritage, their pride in it, and also a remembrance of the humbling defeat in the Civil War, and the devastation that it wrought. I think that matters too, not just how others perceive it. If someone wants to put up a flag in their dorm room, or even a bumper sticker on their car, with that in mind, and carry themselves as a gentleman who welcomes others of all color and creed, he will get nor argument from me. Nor would I assume that he felt otherwise based on his display of the flag. But said gentleman would have to understand that others may assume otherwise, and that is a risk he has to take. (full disclosure: I do not own, nor have I ever owned, anything with the Confederate flag on it)

9. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

This.

One's personal motivations for displaying the Confederate flag may have nothing to do with race. Yet it is undeniably true that the flag does have racial significance. That's not just perception, that's reality. To display it is to implicitly condone everything the flag stood for, not just the parts you like. You're telegraphing the world a message and the world isn't ever going to give you a chance to tell your nuanced opinion about it.

Another example would be the keffiyeh. It's never just a fashion item but will always be read by many people you encounter as a symbol of Palestinian solidarity.

10. unbelragazzo

I think you're underestimating the degree to which WITHIN THE SOUTH, the flag is seen as symbol of Southern pride, and not racism. (e.g. the OP had it in his picture, I assume not to show us all how racist he is, but that he is a Southerner...his handle is southernstyle after all.) Outside of the South, people see it and just think slave-owning racists. Within the South, there is often at least a hint of that, but it stands for much more than that IMHO.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Yeah, hate to break it to you but plenty of people in The South associate it with racism too.

12. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

There is definitely some truth to this. The "rebel flag" can be seen all over the south. However, even more surprising is that no one here, from a historical standpoint, understands what this flag means. In reality this flag was never even used by the Confederacy as a national flag or even a battle flag. The "rebel flag" you see today is based off the battle flag but officially only stands for Southern pride:

Granted this does not remove the stigma associated with the flag, but it's ironic that the flag causes so much controversy and sparks debate about ignorance when in fact being offended by this particular flag is a sign of ignorance.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011

13. unbelragazzo

But definitely not all. And I think it varies even within The South. Idk if you're from Texas, but many ppl would not consider Texas part of The South...

14. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

You are right. We don't.

15. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Yep. And I know plenty of Black people with deep southern roots and pride. None of them would ever display that flag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.