• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

freedom_fries

Reaction score

I know this is a little unseasonal for Britain now, so let's call this my "End of Summer" ensemble:

BARIMASELECTION-2.jpg
BARIMASELECTION-3-Copy.jpg

"More on the dark side": http://barimavox.blogspot.com/2011/09/alex-wilson-portrait-shoot-part-four.html

i like this look a lot. snazzy.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1000 - the transformation is amazing. great job Dig. and to chime in on your question ... i say keep the width as is.

I have to agree with nii here. I think that tapering could improve the look, but not by enough to counteract the risk of them being ruined. If this were a blackjack hand, I'd say you've got an 18 on this one.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dig, the width of the pants is OK for you, but they would be OK with a slimming as well...

Yeah but WWSD?
If there would be a poll for the poster who has improved the most, you would surely be a strong contender.

That is an incredibly nice thing to say! Thanks. I liken my efforts to those of Orgetorix only I'm much farther behind him. We have both built our wardrobes through thrifting and it has taken me months to learn what works on me, go out and find it and then have it fitted properly. Even now, there are things that I have done that I wish I had done better.
+1000 - the transformation is amazing. great job Dig. and to chime in on your question ... i say keep the width as is.

Thank, nii! I appreciate the big ups and if you had posted only two minutes earlier, I probably would have thought hard about the alterations based on your input and Spoo's but I was already out the door. I'm picking them up at noon, with 8.75 inch width at the cuffs, LOL!

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have to agree with nii here. I think that tapering could improve the look, but not by enough to counteract the risk of them being ruined. If this were a blackjack hand, I'd say you've got an 18 on this one.

Ouch. See the post above.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ouch. See the post above.

I would not worry about it overly. It's not a complicated alteration, and I do think it will come out looking better. My risk aversion comes from not wanting to over tweak. Being on this forum, I think sometimes we get overly obsessed and critical. We want things to be perfect, and thus we will risk ruination for the chance to attain such a thing. I had a tailor tell me the same thing about my brown jacket because it is almost exactly where I want it. He told me that he can do it, but that any alteration, however simple, has a risk involved. He thought the jacket looked good as is, showed me why he thought that, and then said something to the effect of that I should bring it back if that little bit just gets unbearably annoying. If I can't stand it any more, then he'll put it under the knife, but didn't want to risk so much for such little reward. I think it's good advice, but at the same time my guess is that your pants will be fine. You will post them up again and be like "Wah!" and I'll eat my words to the effect of something like "Damn Dig, those look freaking awesome. Good decision!"

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think if you were to slim them only do it at the bottom very slightly. One thing that I have noticed that makes one person wearing a suit look better than another is proportions. We all want to look as slim as possible, but sometimes slimming certain areas makes others look bigger. I personally feel the pants balance the top half of your body better. Too much slimming could make you look top heavy. I feel this way from experience.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
today...dreaded casual friday, came in late, and way too lazy to snap a decent pic with my dslr.
40c31956.jpg

New shirt by Barba, prada belt, Levis 514, panerai 232, and john lobb westminsters. wearing my favorite fall/winter scent...YSL Rive Gauche. I smell like it...teh secks. :satisfied:

milecargo

Reaction score

today...dreaded casual friday, came in late, and way too lazy to snap a decent pic with my dslr.
40c31956.jpg

New shirt by Barba, prada belt, Levis 514, panerai 232, and john lobb westminsters. wearing my favorite fall/winter scent...YSL Rive Gauche. I smell like it...teh secks. :satisfied:

Westminster's are holy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads