HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndw

ndw Senior member

I'm a bigger guy, and I quite like NDW's fit. I think the buttoning position gives the coat some elegance and helps elongate the legs. Likewise I don't mind the fuller trouser. I know for myself at around 100kgs, a 44 shoe and 40ish true waist, if I wear overly narrow trousers I look overly top heavy with massive feet and skinny ankles. I say good job here. Dressing at a larger weight is a lot trickier than skinny guys realize. The proportions that get lauded on smaller builds often need to be disregarded, as trying to achieve that look would be a mistake. Just my opinion as a fat guy, but I always a rate a good big fit higher than a good thin one. once you learn the basics about where your natural waist is and how long to cut your sleeves, most slim guys can throw on a purple label suit and look the business. Gain 30kgs and it's a lot tougher. Desu
    Thanks, man. Appreciate it. I have resigned to the fact that slim fit is not for me. I am still working on trouser proportion though. WRT to your earlier post- how do you like the ariston fabrics? I am contemplating having something made up for the summer in one of their blue linen or linen blends- was wondering if you had any suggestions for fabric weight.... Hot and humid summer climate.

2. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

Ethan = Gospel. From one fatty to another; these 36 and 38s don't know how hard we go it.

Wtf ... Looks like I lost my crown as the resident jerk...lol

PG does have a GREAT point but I am DJing a show now and will comment more tomorrow.

I love you all. Lehggo!!!

3. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

BACK ON TRACK. My bad fit from tonight. The buttoning point on this coat is too high. Slightly lower and I'd love it... Where it's at really bothers me.
    I agree about the buttoning point. I think Matt S pointed out in another thread that the buttoning point should be the same height as the narrowest part of the jacket, which is the waist. Nice ice cube. Are you using the Tovolo ice cube tray? Have you tried a Stagg and Carpano Antica Manhattan?

4. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

/feel free to disregard any comments, thanks.

No need.

5. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Tjeezus. Save this thread.

Newbs, if you don't get it, ask questions. PG answers them & will give you better advice than your momma, who loves you. No one loves you here, so if you need clarification, ask for it.

And...NDW dresses better than 98% of dudes here, including me. So does Ethan and Nii. Listen to them & master the rules according to your shape. It's only after you master the rules that you can go crazy.

6. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    I give you accolades routinely for the fits you post, even when I don't fully comprehend specific pieces of them (like your unbuttoned collars, which seem totally affected, to me). In nearly six months of posting pics, you have never acknowledged a single compliment, nor given a shred of advice to me. I really don't give a shit, as others have been really helpful in giving constructive criticism. But I wonder who really comes here for the hand jobs.
    Well said, and I completely agree with you, acrid. However, in the same way that PG has grown snarky because he feels he's been giving the same style advice over and over again, you will eventually grow weary of having to ask people -- usually the same people -- to grow up and be civil. I know I have.

7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

And...NDW dresses better than 98% of dudes here, including me.

sorry, not true.

he's a good dresser, though.

8. MaybeItsHate

MaybeItsHate Member

I actually really like the colors, but yeah, jacket's too short all around. Swap the tie for a solid brown or navy to ground everything.
    Thanks for this. I did have misgivings about the tie, but wasn't totally aware of their credibility...
    - it is easier to forgive the quality of the photo than the clash of baby poo colors & patterns - suggest you & 99% of nooks go back to basics
    I AM NOW.
    - I'm quite certain a lot of noobs think it is easy until they see their first pics, then they step back & practice.
    I can't presume you're talking about me - you acquit yourself by not addressing this to me directly, but nor was I aware of there being a precedent for haughty noobs around here. I'm sure I answer for many by saying that if I had thought I was shitting on the proverbial SF altar I wouldn't have bothered posting. It's not like there's some arch-noob-alliance hell bent on wasting your time. People wouldn't try unless they thought, for reasons however delusional, that they were doing something right. You react like we've raped a kid or something. I don't even think it's your responsibility to encourage people, I just don't understand the vitriol.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Oh haii guys, what did I miss this weekend? [​IMG]

10. tshaw

tshaw Senior member

Well said, and I completely agree with you, acrid. However, in the same way that PG has grown snarky because he feels he's been giving the same style advice over and over again, you will eventually grow weary of having to ask people -- usually the same people -- to grow up and be civil. I know I have.

The voice of reason..TB.. However, some people also need to judge in giving the 'same' advice time after time that it may be to different people at different times and patience show be adhered to first..than go snarky. [​IMG]

11. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    what are these ties that are all fuzzy looking? seem pretty popular around here, i like the look. where can i get some? are they considered more/less formal or something?
    Fuzzy wool ties are indeed very popular here. Join the fun. Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.samhober.com/cashmere-bla...p-series-ties/
    https://www.kentwang.com/ties?cat=54
    http://www.drakes-london.com/ties/ca...m-cashmere-tie
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232129

12. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

It certainly wont hurt the senior members to be a bit more civil towards the noobs. Its always advisable to be polite to people on your way up since you will be meeting them later on your way down.

It seems that its now fashionable to shit on people who post in this thread.

13. ndw

ndw Senior member

Nice ice cube. Are you using the Tovolo ice cube tray? Have you tried a Stagg and Carpano Antica Manhattan?

Yup. The 2" cubes are the shit. I haven't tried it, but it's funny you mention the Carpano ANtica because my buddy was going to prepare one but I opted for just the Stagg on the rocks.

No need.

I think disclaimers make people feel better sometimes....

Newbs, if you don't get it, ask questions. PG answers them & will give you better advice than your momma, who loves you. No one loves you here, so if you need clarification, ask for it.

^Well said, UC. I do think there are some bromances here though. And, thanks for the compliments, but I have to agree with fritzl on this.

14. derrickrose1

derrickrose1 Member

Fuzzy wool ties are indeed very popular here. Join the fun. Here are some links to get you started.

http://www.samhober.com/cashmere-bla...p-series-ties/
    https://www.kentwang.com/ties?cat=54
    http://www.drakes-london.com/ties/ca...m-cashmere-tie
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=232129

Just a knit wool tie. I'm not sure about the type of wool or anything, there are some which aren't fuzzy at all. The tie you quoted in my pic looks sort of like a cashmere tie though, if you want to look at some pics of those, they're fuzzy too. Just look up wool & cashmere ties. [​IMG]

Thanks, I appreciate it.

15. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I think disclaimers make people feel better sometimes....

Hehe. Okay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.