1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

Whoa - nice cloth on that SC, Stephen! Deets? Buttoning point seems a bit off though - dont know what it is.

My favourite SC by far [​IMG] [​IMG] PZ Sartoriale.

2. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Very nice. Not really a fan of true 3 buttons, but everything else is great.

3. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

^ Say those are not black pants, Crusty... [​IMG]

Yes, oh Spoo-meister, they are - they match my mood [​IMG] .

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

^ Say those are not black pants, Crusty... [​IMG]

Yes, oh Spoo-meister, they are - they match my mood [​IMG] .

There's a "No black pants" rule?

SON OF A....!

5. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

There's a "No black pants" rule?

SON OF A....!

When it comes to rules on SF - your photo postings are the Titanic, the rules are the iceberg - sometimes popping up when you least expect them . . .

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

7. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

If you aren't sending Phat Guido a royalty check on this one, you should probably consider it . . . .

I'm all for imitation and all that (I didn't find Drake's knit ties by myself) but there's a point at which it departs from flattery into a weird SF version of Single White Female. I'm afraid you are at that point.

- Actually Peter Lee sends me a cheque every month.
    - My next challenge is matching the real names to the SF handles
    [​IMG]

8. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yes... that's an unlined collar.

9. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Crossing stripes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

* I had a whole lot of "multi-quotes" to answer tonight, but I'm tired & need my Horlicks

10. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

If you aren't sending Phat Guido a royalty check on this one, you should probably consider it . . . .

I'm all for imitation and all that (I didn't find Drake's knit ties by myself) but there's a point at which it departs from flattery into a weird SF version of Single White Female. I'm afraid you are at that point.

I didn't realize PG was the only one who could wear red trousers with an OCBD. Maybe we should compile a list of Trademarked Clothing Items so we can put a stop to DTOing

11. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Windsor Wednesday, by request. Unless you are shorter than I am, you can't see anything but the knot...my camera is at lower chest level.

Have a good one,

Mike

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

I didn't realize PG was the only one who could wear red trousers with an OCBD. Maybe we should compile a list of Trademarked Clothing Items so we can put a stop to DTOing

There's a bit more history than just that to make things more interesting. I'll leave it at that.

13. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

A fit that garnered little love when last I wore it, for a day that is meteorologically garnering absolutely no love from anyone in the metro NYC area - somehow it seems appropriate.

FWIW, and have at it, gents . . .

I've wondered for several weeks if your pictures might possibly benefit from the camera being raised a foot or two from its usual position, a bit closer closer to eye level? I'm not sure the current camera height is the most flattering. Otherwise, I enjoy your postings.

14. Aaron01

Aaron01 Senior member

There's a bit more history than just that to make things more interesting. I'll leave it at that.
    I know the history, but my point is, that there aren't too many ways to do a casual look, it's a pretty basic look. You can use different colors and accessories, but at the end of the day it's still basically a uniform. The other circumstances not withstanding, I think most would agree that just because someone is wearing red trousers with an OCBD doesn't mean they're copying PG. I'm speaking purely general and outside of the context of certain posters, but there can be a point to imitation; to learn fit, balance and how to compose a look. None of us were born with the knowledge of how to walk, talk, tie our shoes, etc... We watch other people around us and then we learn to do it on our own. Obviously, the imitation can only go so far before one has to put their own individuality on things and walk on their own two feet. Quite obviously, some characters can take things to the extreme and it can be sad. But we kind of have to get away from the idea that people have looks copyrighted/trademarked/whatever and that nobody else can do it, because none of us are that original.

15. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

I've wondered for several weeks if your pictures might possibly benefit from the camera being raised a foot or two from its usual position, a bit closer closer to eye level? I'm not sure the current camera height is the most flattering. Otherwise, I enjoy your postings.

With tomorrow's posting, I will experiment with the tripod setting, raising it closer to eye level.

Glad that you enjoy my postings - thanks!

16. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

With tomorrow's posting, I will experiment with the tripod setting, raising it closer to eye level.

I think chest level or even a bit lower is better; otherwise you probably have to tilt the camera down, which causes distortion as well. The trick is to keep it straight.

17. Edgar Allan Pwn

Edgar Allan Pwn Senior member

With tomorrow's posting, I will experiment with the tripod setting, raising it closer to eye level. Glad that you enjoy my postings - thanks!
    Setting up your camera farther way and zooming in also helps to reduce the effect of lens distortion. I tried it on my last few shots and I think it makes a subtle but noticeable difference. In my last fit pic the camera was nearly 20' away. If you're close up with an extreme wide angle things which are near the center of the frame and things which are closer to the camera appear exaggeratedly large. For fit pics, if one has any sort of belly it will appear larger-than-life, while diminishing the size one's head and legs. I won't have time this week, but maybe next Monday I'll do some side-by-side shots illustrating the difference. I posted something similar in the poor man's watch thread. The principle is exactly the same.
    At wide angles objects closer to the camera appear larger than they actually are. The severity of this distortion is directly proportional to the focal length. To illustrate my point, I took a photo from much farther away and then cropped it to match the proportions of the original photo. Cropping a photograph effectively reduces the focal length, although at a severe loss of quality. First, the original shot that the crop was taken from: [​IMG] Now, the side--by-side: [​IMG] Same watch, same wrist, same camera. The black and white lines were copied and pasted. They are pixel-perfect identical. As you can see, my wrist is actually still slightly smaller in the second photo. The black line doesn't quite reach the edge of my wrist as it does in the first photo. Yet the white line goes WELL beyond the inner edge of the chrome sections above and below the dial. These lines are present to quantify what I'm saying, but even without them, I think it's pretty clear the watch simply looks bigger in the first photo.

18. Big A

Big A Senior member

I know the history, but my point is, that there aren't too many ways to do a casual look, it's a pretty basic look. You can use different colors and accessories, but at the end of the day it's still basically a uniform . . . .
    I'm creeped out by the "Full Doppelganger," that's all I'm saying. It's not just pants & shirt combo - tons of people here have rocked the red pants with an OCBD. It's the pants / shirt / bracelet / hat / bag / sock / shoe thing that I was responding to. Since you are apparently familiar with the DTO phenomenon, I'll assume you know what I mean. I don't usually browse around here much, but I saw that and thought "whoa, weird," and incidentally, turns out I'm not the only one who had that initial thought. We're all guilty of imitation for the most part. Like I said, I've stolen from PG, Chorse, Gnatty, even [​IMG] god help me. Honestly, if I could afford it I'd copy everything about Stilmacher's look, from the Corthay shoes to the lifestyle shots of me riding through the mountains in first class on the SBB. If I ever pull that off, however, I fully expect the knowledgeable observer to note that I'd crossed the line from "fan" to "stalker."
    Get your hand off it Big A. This coming from the guy with 'Airports' as location when PGs in Terminal 1 haha
    I don't know what you are trying to say. Was this run through Google Translate? Here's a tip - jokes are usually only funny in their native language. I changed my location to "airports" when I was traveling 20 days per month. I guess I should now change it to "temporarily homebound, covered in baby spit-up."

19. Navi

Navi Senior member

Anyone feel like typing a short little paragraph of the backstory? Maybe even a picture of PG wearing the red pants-casual look? I'm new so I've only seen him in suits, so it's pretty hard to imagine him wearing the clothes in Mr. K's picture. [​IMG]

* I had a whole lot of "multi-quotes" to answer tonight, but I'm tired & need my Horlicks

That suit fabric is great, as is the tie. Also Horlicks is the bomb. My stash I brought back from my Singapore trip is running quite low..... [​IMG]
    Milo is my favorite though, god that shit is so delicious. Especially when it's made at a coffee shop etc... Damn I miss SG!

Windsor Wednesday, by request. Unless you are shorter than I am, you can't see anything but the knot...my camera is at lower chest level.

Have a good one,

Mike

[​IMG]

Nononononono.... NOT feeling that knot. Maybe try a half windsor wednesday, but that knot just ruins the look for me. I really like that suit though, self-stripes? All the pieces are nice, but the knot brought it down 5 points. [​IMG]

20. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.