1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was going to be done with the thread for now, but a serious reply to some of the points raised:

Those asking the oldsters to lead the way/post fits should understand we've been there, done that. I've posted dozens if not hundreds; Vox hundreds if not thousands. I may do so again in the future, but I have other things to do than keep teaching the same course time and again. I can't tell you how many times I've answered the same noob questions over and over again, to the point I have stock answers to many of them. I'm happy to help anyone who really wants to learn, but search exists for a reason. People who really want to learn have to take some ownership of the information and their attire.

On that same front, I'm shocked by how many people don't take the time to learn a bit before posting fits. I read the forum for months before registering, to get a feel for the personalities and tone. I don't expect everyone to do that, but a small modicum of effort is appreciated. Rather than getting upset when criticism is offered, consider if their might be something useful that can be taken from it. The rampant defensiveness only increases the echo chamber effect.

Finally, for those who struggle to understand the oldster's perspective on the shift in MC tastes, imagine it the other way 'round. You have a freewheeling forum where self-expression is paramount and a bunch of fuddy duddies start posting and insist everyone embrace their philosophy.

Wait, that is what's happening here. But you see my point. It's frustrating when someone joins a conversation just to change the topic.

MC once had a very clear aesthetic. Personally, I like that it's become a little more diverse. But a niche forum can tolerate only so much generalization before the discussion becomes too broad to be of value. It happened at AA and it can happen here. "Wear what you like; it doesn't matter" is appealingly egalitarian, but if you accept that premise, there's not much ground for further discussion.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Hear, hear. Also, do not expect a newbie to dress to the standards of the Upper Style Forum Five Percent. Give them some good advice and direction and maybe they will stay a while and learn something. And if you are going to constantly and consistently give rude and/ or harsh criticism that is lacking in support or helpful advice, then perhaps you should frequently post pictures of your absolutely pitch-perfect masterpieces of sartorial excellence so the poor slobs can see what true perfection is.

1 person likes this.
  3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

that is exactly what i want to work on and need help with :nodding:

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

I used to like your pics, especially when you stopped wearing narrow lapels. Big Bris needs big lapels.

5. DocHolliday

More Fair Isle than Cosby, really. You probably saw 'em but were so dazzled by the rest of my ensemble you forgot.

Don't be talking smack about the chelseas.

6. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Way back when, there was a "pattern" contest. A bunch of people posted fits with multiple patterns, I think Manton was the "judge". There were even prizes. NORE got upset because he had on a budget fit (that looked good though) He thought that he should have won based on the price to value of his fit. He's come a long way. Trust.

7. NORE

NORE Senior member

I feel you man, really. I, too lurked for a while before coming on here posting, having been broken in (if you can call it that) over on AAAC. But just because some dude calls my tie radioactive doesn't mean I'm retiring it.

Polo Garrison FTW!!!

More like unfair Isle :)

That mirror shine and depth of color on your shoes might have drawn his attention away. Not to mention the reflection in the puddle. But I digress....

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think the taste was quite as monolithic as you indicate. There was a lot of variation within a relatively narrow band. Relatively narrow when compared to today, certainly.

9. DocHolliday

Yeah, I don't mean to make it sound monolithic. There's always been a lot of bad taste, some of which I've contributed. But it was, as you suggest, in a much narrower band than today.

10. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

11. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The more patterns or colors or textures that you put together the greater chance that your outfit will fail. There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting with a base of simple, classic elements and building slowly over time.

A lot of guys here seem to want to make clothing into some kind of contest or show-off how many unique or distinctive things they can combine in one outfit.

WAYWRN has became more of "Let me show you how many new things I just bought" with no regard or understanding of how to best put them together. It always amazes me how many positive comments these looks get.

The fact is that all colors, fabrics, styles and patterns don't work together. There is an art to their coordination. Putting a bunch of things together because they are individually "cool" doesn't necessarily make an attractive outfit.

To me, WAYWRN is not successful when it's goal is pushing guys to see how far they can go, it is successful when it shows how to consistently look your best.

2 people like this.
  12. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

While I would agree that there are some posters who are terrible through and through. I remember one poster who was talking about color blocking, which I think has more to do with youthful folly and inexperience than not knowing how to dress, but there are those among the established posters that don`t really know what they are doing either. I`d say one of the most serious offenders is mafoofan.

The point is that while an egalitarian pat yourself on the back for wearing a french cuff is bad, so is an attitude that keeps quiet when someone more senior posts something amiss. Or when someone tries to use Aristotle to justify a watery explanation of what is a good fit.

13. NORE

NORE Senior member

Understood. Not trying to take anything away from the ones who start off slowly (CBD) but damning daring pieces isn't cool in my book.

I once posted a fit that Manton said something to the effect of, "this shouldn't work, but it just does". What this said to me is what most people say, I couldn't (wouldn't try to) pull that off, but you just did.

There is a lot to be learned from that. I'd agree that there is a bunch of train wrecks in WAYWRN but don't tell everyone to start from square one. Either you have it or you don't.

EDIT: It was: "This is just great. Works against all the odds". Pics are gone, tho. :(

Note who my peers were...

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually thought the Aristotle reference illustrated the concept very well. At least it resonated with me.

Also, you are very chatty today.

1 person likes this.
  15. jj-moody

jj-moody Well-Known Member

I have noticed your posts. Your coats are often too short, this one looks a bit better. Do you feel comfortable in the coat because the photo doesn`t give off that impression? But who knows.

The tie is not nice in my eyes, although I do not like diagonal ties in general. The one you have makes you look like a republican. The bourgeois backdrop of what could be limestone or cheap ceramic does not do you any favours either. The shoes, looks like your little toe is trying to burrow out of there. Who makes them?

16. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Blah, blah, blah. Colors, patterns, whatever. The sad fact is that NORE's contributions to this forum have cratered since his . . . change. He used to have the most awesome avatars and now we get, what? A bloody giraffe? He really needs to get his game back.

17. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well Nore I've posted a grand total of twice on here regarding my fits.

Once a new Canali suit I was testing out the alterations on and once a crappy bathroom shot of a Isaia sport coat with a loud lime green tie which I found amusing.

Nothing special..............I'm not going to dig back through a million posts to find them...............they're nothing spectacular............

18. NORE

NORE Senior member

I swear this has to be a ninja edit. HTF did you know I was going to go there? It's not like it's my legacy here or anything :uhoh:

Yeah, that's right. Let him live...

19. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

hey i actually remember that isaia sportcoat and lime green tie hahaha. great looking coat.

20. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Thanks Derek,

I need to get off my lazy ass and post more fits..........but it's so time consuming............and so little fun for me.........................

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.