HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ourmaninLisbon

ourmaninLisbon Senior member

Good to see you keep in shape, and your shoes are pretty as ever. Love the coat-

Cheers

Vic

2. ourmaninLisbon

ourmaninLisbon Senior member

That's one of my kinf of fav ties. Great!.
    Well, but...are already calling for winter?

Cheers

Vic

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I hate to be so anti-climactic, but I think the answer is that I just can't tie ties very well. Believe it or not, most times, I tuck the smaller blade into the keeper. I think I just have an inate bias in the way I tie ties that leads to them being crooked. Sorry, we're all human.. lol

4. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

Thanks Mr. Moo.

5. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Sweet, where'd you get em' from?
    Dude, Americans have been wearing button down collars for over a century. Get over it.
    OK, this is just beautiful. One of the best fits I've seen in months. While I am not feeling the sweater over the shoulders thing (sorry Phatty), this suit is just fantastic, and gives us all something to aspire to.

6. DistintoSignore

DistintoSignore Member

Gnatty, Europeans haven't, get used to it. [​IMG]

Like someone said before, it's a matter of opinion / taste. I ventilated mine, you showed yours. No sense in arguing over taste.

Oh, and it's Stefan, not Dude. Thank you.

7. jwmbro

jwmbro Active Member

Yes, shirt sleeves are too short, but it's the only white shirt (tux shirt excepted) amongst my 25 shirts, so I made do with it. New better fitting one coming next month though.

[​IMG]

8. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Well shit. Looks like I need to buy a horse now to justify owning half of my shirts. Will someone start the "What Are You Wearing Right Now As You Sit On Top Of Your Horse" (WAYWRNAYSOTOYH) thread, please? I need to know what kind of horse goes well with a pink striped linen Cuccinelli BD. Thanks in advance.

9. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

If jacket vents, whether side or center, were designed to accommodate riding a horse, does that mean that only ventless jackets are acceptable outside of informal settings? Perhaps something has changed over time.

10. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

the dreaded american "casual friday" for me...kinda my day to say FU. No tie, no sportcoat.

extra slim fit oxford BB white shirt...oh god...BUTTON DOWN COLLARS!!!!
    Polo chinos..my favorite chinos, but i havent been able to find them anywhere else. Theyre the GI Slim fits.. Belt was a $10 pickup from H&M, watch by rolex.
    not seen...sperry brown deck shoes....socks? we dont need to stinkin socks today. And acqua di parma cologne.

[​IMG]

11. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Actually no, you did not simply "ventilate" your taste, you dictated what I should have in my wardrobe. What I have in my wardrobe should reflect my taste, not yours. Would you agree? I am not bothered by the fact that most Europeans have not adopted the buttondown collar as acceptable business dress, so the fact that Americans have should not cause you so much consternation. Life's too short.

12. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

[/quote] I'll say this - I'm personally no fan of button down shirts with ties - and especially no fan of unbuttoned button down shirts with ties. :stirpot: But button down shirts with ties have long ago become perfectly acceptable and correct attire here in the States. The 'rules' of fashion change within time and culture. I certainly would never critique an American's outfit for wearing a button down with a tie - even if it isn't my personal taste. Life sure would be boring if we all thought and dressed identically. :lurk:

13. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

In the context of gnatty's fit, a buttondown shirt worn with a sports jacket makes perfect sense, considering the origin of the buttondown shirt (as an adjunct to the attire of polo players). I am not one to wear a buttondown shirt with a suit, and do not often wear them with a tie. However, as you have seen, Stefan, there is a wide range of opinion on this matter.
    Why, thank you Mr. Dawg - and you've been looking quite spiffy of late yourself (how one dons a jacket and a tie in August in Atlanta is a tribute to the efficacy of one's air-conditioning, I believe).
    Thank you for the kind comments. As it is, I visit London normally once a year, and have been doing so for more than a quarter century - the sensibility must be soaking in through osmosis. As for cheap and careles suited attire, one can see that everywhere - NYC, London, or Amsterdam - Next, Topshop, and H & M have much to answer for in that regard.
    This statement, Dig, reminds me of one of the last scenes of the movie "Serial Mom", in which Kathleen Turner and Patty Hearst are conversing over the fact that Patty Hearst is wearing white shoes after Labor Day. Patty - "But fashion has changed!" Kathleen - "NO, IT HASN'T!", at which point Kathleen beats Patty to death with the handset of a pay phone for her fashion faux pas. It reminds me much of many conversations here on this very website. :D

14. Sonny58

Sonny58 Senior member

You're right of course. Weather-wise it is no where near to Winter. Wishful thinking on my part. :)

15. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

My reaction was- where do these guys get their ideas? Oh, he was born on an entirely different continent.

Now, on to why do these guys think there is a one universal and prescriptive way to do things right, and it is their way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.