• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ourmaninLisbon

Reaction score
Plaid today, plaid and oxford cloth:
Details:

P1030974.jpg
P1030978.jpg

Good to see you keep in shape, and your shoes are pretty as ever. Love the coat-

Cheers

Vic

ourmaninLisbon

Reaction score
This evening... sorry for having to use the flash but it was too dark otherwise. Days are getting noticeably shorter (which is a good thing)
smile.gif

BlueJacketwBrown3.jpg
That's one of my kinf of fav ties. Great!.
Well, but...are already calling for winter?

Cheers

Vic

Last edited:

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gnatty - I wanted to ask: What's your impetus for tying your tie sideways such that the blade is exposed. I've noticed this with most of your fits, so I assume it's a stylistic choice, and I was curious as to why.

This still doesn't address the question of why though.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean why he doesn't tuck it in the keeper? Or why it sits like that? If it's the latter, there is no answer, it's just the way it sits naturally. If it's the former, i'll let him answer that one. I have seen some Italians tie it purposefully side by side like this for sprezz effect, but in this case it doesn't look like it to me, it's not pronounced enough.

I hate to be so anti-climactic, but I think the answer is that I just can't tie ties very well. Believe it or not, most times, I tuck the smaller blade into the keeper. I think I just have an inate bias in the way I tie ties that leads to them being crooked. Sorry, we're all human.. lol

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Gnatty, just picked up a couple ties similar to that. They should be coming soon, and I can't wait.
Sweet, where'd you get em' from?
Looks sharp, gnatty, I like the jacket and the shoes. Overall a very good combination.

One negative remark: stay away from the button down shirt, please! Unless you're going to play a polo match, button down shirts have no right to be in your wardrobe.

Best regards,

Stefan
Dude, Americans have been wearing button down collars for over a century. Get over it.
OK, this is just beautiful. One of the best fits I've seen in months. While I am not feeling the sweater over the shoulders thing (sorry Phatty), this suit is just fantastic, and gives us all something to aspire to.

Reaction score
Dude, Americans have been wearing button down collars for over a century. Get over it.
Gnatty, Europeans haven't, get used to it.
cheers.gif

Like someone said before, it's a matter of opinion / taste. I ventilated mine, you showed yours. No sense in arguing over taste.

Oh, and it's Stefan, not Dude. Thank you.

jwmbro

Reaction score
Yes, shirt sleeves are too short, but it's the only white shirt (tux shirt excepted) amongst my 25 shirts, so I made do with it. New better fitting one coming next month though.

WAYWRN17.jpg

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

One negative remark: stay away from the button down shirt, please! Unless you're going to play a polo match, button down shirts have no right to be in your wardrobe.

Well ****. Looks like I need to buy a horse now to justify owning half of my shirts. Will someone start the "What Are You Wearing Right Now As You Sit On Top Of Your Horse" (WAYWRNAYSOTOYH) thread, please? I need to know what kind of horse goes well with a pink striped linen Cuccinelli BD. Thanks in advance.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If jacket vents, whether side or center, were designed to accommodate riding a horse, does that mean that only ventless jackets are acceptable outside of informal settings? Perhaps something has changed over time.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
the dreaded american "casual friday" for me...kinda my day to say FU. No tie, no sportcoat.

extra slim fit oxford BB white shirt...oh god...BUTTON DOWN COLLARS!!!!
Polo chinos..my favorite chinos, but i havent been able to find them anywhere else. Theyre the GI Slim fits.. Belt was a $10 pickup from H&M, watch by rolex.
not seen...sperry brown deck shoes....socks? we dont need to stinkin socks today. And acqua di parma cologne.

06eea4e3.jpg

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

cheers.gif

Like someone said before, it's a matter of opinion / taste. I ventilated mine, you showed yours. No sense in arguing over taste.

Actually no, you did not simply "ventilate" your taste, you dictated what I should have in my wardrobe. What I have in my wardrobe should reflect my taste, not yours. Would you agree? I am not bothered by the fact that most Europeans have not adopted the buttondown collar as acceptable business dress, so the fact that Americans have should not cause you so much consternation. Life's too short.
One negative remark; stay away from the button down shirt, please! Unless you're going to play a polo match, button down shirts have no right to be in your wardrobe..

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

cheers.gif

[/quote] I'll say this - I'm personally no fan of button down shirts with ties - and especially no fan of unbuttoned button down shirts with ties. :stirpot: But button down shirts with ties have long ago become perfectly acceptable and correct attire here in the States. The 'rules' of fashion change within time and culture. I certainly would never critique an American's outfit for wearing a button down with a tie - even if it isn't my personal taste. Life sure would be boring if we all thought and dressed identically. :lurk:

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks sharp, gnatty, I like the jacket and the shoes. Overall a very good combination.

Best regards,

Stefan
In the context of gnatty's fit, a buttondown shirt worn with a sports jacket makes perfect sense, considering the origin of the buttondown shirt (as an adjunct to the attire of polo players). I am not one to wear a buttondown shirt with a suit, and do not often wear them with a tie. However, as you have seen, Stefan, there is a wide range of opinion on this matter.
UC - that is VERY nice.
Why, thank you Mr. Dawg - and you've been looking quite spiffy of late yourself (how one dons a jacket and a tie in August in Atlanta is a tribute to the efficacy of one's air-conditioning, I believe).
UC, if I didn't know better from your profile, I'd say you were English.

When I'm over in NYC I see so many men dressed in cheap suits and shoes. I see the same over here: the carelessness in many of my colleagues' attires is tear jerking.

You however are wearing a nice outfit and it suits you well! Kudos!
Thank you for the kind comments. As it is, I visit London normally once a year, and have been doing so for more than a quarter century - the sensibility must be soaking in through osmosis. As for cheap and careles suited attire, one can see that everywhere - NYC, London, or Amsterdam - Next, Topshop, and H & M have much to answer for in that regard.
If jacket vents, whether side or center, were designed to accommodate riding a horse, does that mean that only ventless jackets are acceptable outside of informal settings? Perhaps something has changed over time.
This statement, Dig, reminds me of one of the last scenes of the movie "Serial Mom", in which Kathleen Turner and Patty Hearst are conversing over the fact that Patty Hearst is wearing white shoes after Labor Day. Patty - "But fashion has changed!" Kathleen - "NO, IT HASN'T!", at which point Kathleen beats Patty to death with the handset of a pay phone for her fashion faux pas. It reminds me much of many conversations here on this very website. :D

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Actually no, you did not simply "ventilate" your taste, you dictated what I should have in my wardrobe. What I have in my wardrobe should reflect my taste, not yours. Would you agree? I am not bothered by the fact that most Europeans have not adopted the buttondown collar as acceptable business dress, so the fact that Americans have should not cause you so much consternation. Life's too short.

My reaction was- where do these guys get their ideas? Oh, he was born on an entirely different continent.

Now, on to why do these guys think there is a one universal and prescriptive way to do things right, and it is their way?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads