HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Charming wrinkles, Nii.

Gnatty, just picked up a couple ties similar to that. They should be coming soon, and I can't wait.

2. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

This still doesn't address the question of why though.

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Not sure I understand. Do you mean why he doesn't tuck it in the keeper? Or why it sits like that? If it's the latter, there is no answer, it's just the way it sits naturally. If it's the former, i'll let him answer that one. I have seen some Italians tie it purposefully side by side like this for sprezz effect, but in this case it doesn't look like it to me, it's not pronounced enough.

4. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

It's quite possible to tie the tie such that it does not stick out like that. As an example:

[​IMG]

This tie from Gshen has no keeper, and yet I have specifically arranged the know so that the blade sits in back, completely covered. That he has arranged his knot so that the blade is exposed is less than an issue. On a number of occasions, I have seen Gnatty receive feedback about things which he has specifically stated are stylistic choices. The best example that I can think of off the top of my head is in regards to his collars. Given this, and what appears to be his general presence of mind with regards to his appearance, it seems reasonable to assume that the blade being exposed is a chosen affectation. The question I wish to raise then is why he has chosen such an affectation. Sprezzatura alone is a non-answer, and would seem to be in contradiction to the level of thought and/or knowledge his general demeanor belies. I won't say that simply "because I like it" isn't a possible, or even likely, but hopefully, he will be gracious enough to elaborate.

5. banis

banis Senior member

Спасибо! Здесь скоро весь форум будет русскоговорящим. :)
    Thanks! I bought those tassels only because they were cheap and I like loafers, which I wear most of the time.

6. DistintoSignore

DistintoSignore Member

Looks sharp, gnatty, I like the jacket and the shoes. Overall a very good combination.

One negative remark: stay away from the button down shirt, please! Unless you're going to play a polo match, button down shirts have no right to be in your wardrobe.

Best regards,

Stefan

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

:lurk:

8. GuidoWongolini

GuidoWongolini Senior member

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

9. Tibor

Tibor Senior member

[​IMG]
    On patrol in Little Italy.

10. tshaw

tshaw Senior member

Overall a very good combination.

One negative remark: stay away from the button down shirt, please! Unless you're going to play a polo match, button down shirts have no right to be in your wardrobe.

Best regards,

Stefan
    Okay - I'll start - nice of you to make that determination, but you really need to rethink your post.. You may not like them, which is YHO and is fine for you, some of us like them - they are a nice mixture in the wardrobe...And that has nothing to say with what I really wanted to post, such as "Buzz Off"! Button downs have served me well , esp. when riding in an open jeep in the County park system, reviewing facilities and don't want to deal with collars flapping in the breeze, etc.- just as a practical example, nevermind wearing them at different times in the office, etc.. Have a nice day...:slayer:

11. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The weather is still mild (for August, certainly) in NYC, allowing suit-wearing without torture.

Suit - Paul Stuart
    Shirt & Tie - Lewin
    Braces - Paul Stuart
    Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
    PS - Robert Talbott
    Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Oh no you didn't :lol:

13. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

UC - that is VERY nice.

14. DistintoSignore

DistintoSignore Member

Oh yes I did!
    Since I typed it. It is indeed MHO indeed (or better MNSHO) and if you want to [​IMG]with me over it, then En-Garde!

I believe a sports shirt (i.e. a button down shirt) is nothing to be worn formally.Yes, you can maybe wear it under a sports jacket, but I see to many men who DARE to combine it with a suit and tie. [​IMG]. I have always advised those who asked to stay away from them as not to be temped to wear them in the wrong fashion and make a faux-pas.

As for the flapping collar; a good collar, with a pair of brass collar stays and a bit of starch when ironed, will stay put!

Best regards!

Stefan

15. DistintoSignore

DistintoSignore Member

UC, if I didn't know better from your profile, I'd say you were English.

When I'm over in NYC I see so many men dressed in cheap suits and shoes. I see the same over here: the carelessness in many of my colleagues' attires is tear jerking.

You however are wearing a nice outfit and it suits you well! Kudos!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.