1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

Excuse the crappy iphone photos

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

shoes were dark drown forgot to take a picture, any advice/criticism welcome

Cheers Nick

1 person likes this.
  2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry for crappy iphone pic:

[​IMG]

3. unbelragazzo

Tie knot could be improved I think...overall quite nice though! I like the use of the scarf - although I can't fully see how your shirt collar fits because of it, and it looks like you may have some room for improvement there.

4. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

That tie is a nightmare, I hate it, can never get a nice knot out of it, have to wear it everyday and it was the end of the day so I was pretty tired... the shirt is slighlty big especially the sleeves I think. I think a better shirt and im getting there?

Cheers Nick

5. unbelragazzo

Why have to wear it every day? It would also be nice to have a tie with more contrast to the suit. A nice navy or forest green would be perfect.

6. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Is the tie for school?

7. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

I like your fit, very nice blazer. The Tie is my school tie, (I'm only 17!) i go to a Sixth Form at a school in England, so they force us to wear the tie, it's ok it doesn't clash with anything but just adds nothing to any outfit :( If they let me wear a nice navy tie or forest green I would! Thanks for the advice :)

Cheers Nick

8. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

As far as the lapels bowing out, I believe that is the pose - doing photos with a self-timer in the early morning doesn't afford one much time to re-check pose and details (never mind finding a large enough white porcelain platter upon which to pose oneself artfully).

As for looking better with wider lapels, I cannot disagree.

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm on the verge of hanging a roll of seamless background from the ceiling in my garage. Maybe a few lights. I might have to move the car out, but, you know, priorities, right? :D

2 people like this.
  10. inlandisland

inlandisland Senior member

Some nice looks today - definitely liking the grey/brown/orange palettes that are coming out for fall.

Here I am today:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. acecow

acecow Senior member

Oh hai! You've attended the Paul Stuart Fashion Night Out? Nice getup! :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Today's fit a bit of a fail IMO...I think there's too little contrast between suit and shirt and too great a contrast between those two and the tie. This tie is probably a good example of why Manton hates red ties.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. Marshall Anthony

Marshall Anthony Well-Known Member

…….

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, they always appear to me as disembodied ties.

15. 0b5cur1ty

0b5cur1ty Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

You dont look too bad. The main thing is your jacket looks too short. It is hard to judge since it depends also on the trousers. If rise too large / pants worn too low on the waist, then jacket looks like it is too short even if it was the right length. I suspect the jacket is an inch or two too shorter than optimum. To perfectionists, these small margins make a significant difference. Overall though, not bad.

You could have kept the red tie, and change the shirt. White gives good contrast against the grey, red would look better with the white contrast wise, and the pocket square - a light blue pattern may have worked better. Nothing wrong with red ties, I suspect they would be a bullfighter's favourite choice of tie! I personally dont find red ties as versatile as other colors, but they work with a little creativity.

1 person likes this.
  17. EBugatti

EBugatti Senior member

The situation is the following: after posting fits for years, the "old guard" has essentially stopped posting fits. They can blame the newcomers, etc., but the reality is, they have stopped posting. Hence, there is no critical mass of the types of dressers Matt would like to see. Nature abhors a vacuum. In the place of the "old guard", new "champions" have emerged. They are not to Matt's liking. But until several old guard members decide to come back in force and show a competing look, newcomers have no comparisons, and embrace the looks of the new "champions". Just one old guard member, though, is not enough--Manton saw what happened with that on his CBD thread. There must be critical mass, or like NOBD points out, this is just a broken record of a complaint...

3 people like this.
  18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not really. There is a difference between posting things I don't like, which always happened, and a group of people who obviously lack any sense of understanding of basic fundamentals of dressing but have no lack of self importance or pig headed unwillingness to learn from faults others put up. There have always been plenty of dressers, even among the "old guard," whose style I found lacking, but now it isn't really about style, but about complete lack of knowledge. It certainly isn't universal, for example Victor certainly has an understanding of proportion, even if I find his style to be a bit coarse, but there are just so many posters now who seem to have no clue about whether their clothes even come close to fitting their bodies, or combining colors and patterns, that it can be difficult to stomach. It isn't a question of old good new bad, it is a question of having some sort of background from which to build. It isn't a question of there being rules or not, but of there being knowledge or not.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
    7 people like this.
  19. acecow

acecow Senior member

Why don't you actually start criticizing fits here then? I would love to see some criticism beyond the obvious and boring "I would go with a different tie" comments.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think there needs to be some more straight critique and less acceptance of "oh well it is just their style." People are constantly terrified of being labeled as too harsh, or trying to change people's natural style. I think Mafoofan said it best a while back and while I don't have the original quote it was something to the effect of "some people just need to be told." He is correct and that is what I enjoyed about the spirit of the CBD thread and having a consistent voice across many posters.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.