HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tshaw

tshaw Senior member

I like your style but I think you should observe the intent of this thread, "what are you wearing "today". ;-)

^ It's ok - Victor's just giving us a little 'history' as to who he is - I've enjoyed seeing his pix...If I had a body like that.........:nodding:

2. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

sugarbutch & emptyn, thank you.

PG, good stuff.

Victor, nice shoes in post # 8654.

(Would have included a few quotes, but I can't get the bloody thing to work...)

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Keep hitting "Multi" on the posts you want to quote, and on the last one you want to quote, hit "Quote" instead of "Multi" and they will all appear, then you can trim them in the body of the reply.

Outstanding pictures yesterday, BTW. All of them.

4. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Yeah- I hesitated writing that, nonetheless... I think we get it, now.

5. Citan1145

Citan1145 Senior member

Spoo, I have to ask, what is the maker and size of this suit? We have similar proportions so I am just curious! Thanks!

6. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

A nearly totally Brooks Bros. day - blazer, shirt, tie, trousers, and shoes.

The bow tie is an experiment - a different profile (i.e. a larger "butterfly") than my others, and in a foulard fabric rather than a repp. FWIW.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

Not a fan of some of the poses ... and i agree some of the jackets could be cut more to SF tastes (wider lapels, sweeping open quarters, patch pockets mirroring curvature of quarters etc), but it is evident you have a ton of style!!

the outfit with the glen plaid jacket (w/ elbow patches), suede shoes and tan pants with the waist coast is going to get DTO'd (copied) in the fall.

welcome to the thread.

banis, you seem insecure about his posts. first you called him out on a picture he didnt even post ... and then this broad snarky comment about his tailoring ...

just saaaaaaayin'

this is casual well done Kaplan. played right into the SF aesthetic/love for brown/blue/gray.

ZON_JR .... apart from the bowler, this is a pretty conservative outfit. comparing this to PT Williams' zany outfits is just silly. Grow up.

8. niidawg3

niidawg3 Senior member

UC - based on your fits posted over time i'd say Brooks is just not right for you. I am generally not a fan on BB, however i have seen BB look really good on some people. Their jackets "on you" seem to have the same dimensions at shoulder, around the waist and in the skirt. This creates a barrel effect, which is unflattering, and probably accounts for some of the negative or zero feedback you receive.

I am similar in body structure to you, so i won't necessarily just chalk it down to body type or an aesthetic choice. Obviously i don't think it makes sense to suddenly get rid of all your BB's, so that is not what i am saying, but i'd say look elsewhere for different makers to see if they would provide a more flattering fit on your new(er) purchases. Also if you are buying BB at market, it might make sense to consider bespoke from some of the affordable NY tailoring houses.

9. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone

10. banis

banis Senior member

That picture was a cherry on a pie.
    It should have been posted together with all the other random pictures that were totally unnecessary.

As for the tailoring... It is a bit complex. I don't want to disclose all the background, as it is irrelevant.
    Without going into details, this tailoring is not flattering on him and could have been executed in a much better way. I know it because I have ordered previously from the same tailor as Victor uses and know of tailor's abilities.

11. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

It's only appropriate in limited contexts, but I don't think it's an anachronism at all. It's definitely polarizing though; hard to have lukewarm feelings about it. I don't usually dress as peacock-y as a lot here, and this coat treads a narrow line. E.g., I really like iammatt's navy striped cotton coat that gets equal parts love and hate, but I get why some don't like it. I expected a similar response to my coat.

Threadbearer,

There is ample contrast between shirt and tie IRL. That's one of my aesthetic pet-peeves. Shirt is stark white. Tie is cotton with lighter and darker khaki seersucker stripes. It just looks washed-out/overexposed in the pic.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks, niidawg.

Thanks, Spoo.

My problem wasn't as much with multiquoting as is was with trimming. When writing this post with your post quoted above, I don't get the HTML code (using the BB code editor) and things look identifiable and transparent. But when I tried to quote Victor's post I got the whole HTML treatment, making it impossible (for me) to find out what to trim to just quote a single photo. Shifting to the plain text editor just erased everything except a single line of text...

13. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

I just don't think this works to my eye. I was thinking hard about just what it is, and then I read niidawg's post below. I am afraid I would have to agree. It would just seem that Brooks OTR does not really do you any favors. Have you tried other RTW?

14. Mr.P

Mr.P Senior member

This is really a superb suit, and well executed, PG. Did you really disassemble your X100, though?

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

There's a lot to digest here, Victor. I don't know if I can fully cosign Banis' critique, but I do agree that the fronts overlap in a less than pleasing way. Overall, though, you seem to have an enviable wardrobe. And, thanks for the entertainment with the poses!
    Don't know about Matt, but I'll give it a thumbs up.
    Not bad for night vision...
    Doing it and doing it and doing it well
    I second Nii's commentary. That said, I still like the overall presentation. For the real world, I'm sure you were the sharpest person within blocks.
    If there were more contrast in the tie choice, I think it would have unbalanced the overall fit. This choice may not have been ideal (matter of opinion), but I think it works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.