1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minarchist

Minarchist Senior member

Very nice. Know where she got it?

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

superb as usual

goes without saying, but looking great as usual.​

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

This jacket isn't doing it for me. The small checks aren't great. Big ones have more personality, go big(ger) or go home. Also, the stitching is quite a bit too flashy and the shoulders a way too pronounced.

Fantastic. Anybody could learn from this, no matter how good a dresser they already are. Sorry for the bukkake, it is just really great.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Concur. Not necessarily red, but something different. It's just too flat/professional looking at the moment for my tastes.

There are a couple of elements I really dislike, but overall it's a coherent, and interesting look. I can understand what you're about, a bit, from this outfit, which makes it very effective.

No comment on the watch(!), but I love the harmony between the shoe and the trousers. Each enhances the other; complementary shapes, textures, colours. A very pleasing combination.

5. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

Nerp. I appreciate the sentiment, and I considered getting them tapered myself. But it's an old Southwick sack suit and I think the looser trou are more fitting for the look.

6. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Not sure, but I'll ask.

7. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

Can you get into specifics? I'm here to learn, and I promise not to take offense, as I know your criticism is constructive.

8. timotune

timotune Senior member

9. in stitches

i think that has to do more with the lighting, as its only so pronounced on one side in that pic.

btw, why are you so against pronounced stitching. its the second time in the past few days ive seen you say that. is it acrooss the board, or only on certain jackets? id appreciate some explanation, cuz i like stitching. i think it adds some nice character. thanks.

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

What I meant was that certain elements of the look were things I would never buy or wear as I personally don't like them (the tie, the lapel pin, the lacquered-looking shoes).

But my point was that if you subtracted those elements, and substituted them with other pieces, I think you would lose the essence of what makes the look personal to you. That's what I meant by it conveying something of yourself, in an - I think - positive way. I wouldn't want to airbrush your individuality out of the look. Having said that, the trousers and jacket are a little close in colour for a non-suited look. If the trousers matched the jacket, the only other thing I would suggest is perhaps deleting the lapel pin as I don't think it adds anything visual that the tie already doesn't. And you might want to consider a cream or yellowish patterned square instead of plain white, though finding exacting the right square to co-ordinate with that tie would be exceeedingly difficult so perhaps white is best after all.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Stitching like that is meant to mimic high quality, traditional goods. When they are done well, they are done with a very light hand. The problem is that, these days, where you have an intersection of people who didn't grow up dressing, and who want to mark for the world that they are now monied (to whatever degree) they prefer the more obvious look of very pronounced stitching, which, to them, screams -- "look, I bought an expensive jacket." To me, it screams a coarseness of taste.

It is possible that the one I quoted is just a fabric issue. Also, my jackets mainly have this kind of stitching, though discreet, so I am not against it, I am just against the bad examples.

2 people like this.
  12. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Hi Lufty,

I tend to agree with you - while the trou are a bit full for today's thinner looks they look pretty much in proportion to the jacket to my eye.

I also think they would look fine if taken in a bit AND a cuff added to keep some weight on them to balance the jacket.

But that seems like it might be a bit too 'dandy' for your current style of courtroom wear? Or simply not worth the effort as they are currently in balance with the jacket anyway.

13. kgmessier

kgmessier Senior member

All great points. Thank you! I agree that the jacket needs a different trouser pairing, and perhaps wearing the lapel pin along with that tie may be going a little over the top. The whole thing felt somewhat experimental looking back.

This is my first time trying out a pocket square, and I only own three, so I thought I'd start with this one first, as it's safest.

Going back to the jacket for a moment, do you (or does anyone else) have a suggestion for a proper trouser pairing?

- K

14. TwoStep

TwoStep Senior member

15. in stitches

very interesting, thanks.

16. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Hey HF
    Another insightful post yestereday thanks I enjoyed it.
    Best
    Fred

17. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Looks very cool...in more ways than one.

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

It feels to me that perhaps a lighter coloured pair of trousers while remaining neutral might have worked better. Perhaps something in the tan/khaki spectrum maybe? Possibly even white or beige, though I'd have to lay the items out before being sure about that. A suit like the jacket would have really rocked.

So, are you going to pull a rabbit out of that tote? :)

(sorry, I'll let someone else provide more constructive feedback, I just couldn't resist).

19. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I wanted to cuff them too, but there's no room for it, unfortunately.

20. luftvier

luftvier Senior member

I'd like this more with a solid shirt, methinks.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.