1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Well-Known Member

I'm with SB on this one. In fact, when I wear a neat I never wear a square with a small repeating pattern. If I want to wear a square with a small repeating pattern, I make sure the tie is solid or striped or something. That said, this is my beginner approach to this topic and I do believe that a pro could probably mix a neat tie with a small patterned square, but I don't think it works in this case.

Interestingly enough, I believe this reason is one of the primary reasons Manton eschews squares with "tie" patterns to them entirely.

YMMV

2. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Well-Known Member

Happy B-Day, @in stitches . I agree, Noodles. Especially the way the flame on the T candle blocks out part of the A.

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

:confused:

4. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

@sugarbutch
    Shoot, I just noticed that your avatar is scurrier...[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys! And thanks, kulata, i missed you in the multi quote. Sorry.

---

SB - perfect combo.

2 people like this.
  6. sugarbutch

Do you people have some childhood issues with candles that you need to work out?

2 people like this.
  7. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

This is very interesting. Thanks.

I tend to notice the columns and rows before I notice the diagonals. I wonder if some Gestalt-oriented psychologist has data on which initial response is more common? Perhaps it's like Wittgenstein's duck/rabbit.

Quote sugarbutch: Yes. I’ve learned over the years that if I want bad advice I should go to the internet. At least it has the virtue of being free …

Cheers,

Ac

8. Rudals

Rudals Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 21, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. sugarbutch

It also looks the same to me with the other orientation... [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  10. Academic2

Academic2 Well-Known Member

Understood. I recognized the repetition of pattern and scale, I just didn't immediately notice the similarity of angle when the tie is interpreted on the diagonal. That's what I was thanking you for. [​IMG]

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  11. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Ha! Def. not the brown shoes, at all. I quite like those.
    But there do seem to be several elements that generate quite a lot of opposition generally on this thread. Many obviously still felt it came together well. I'm cool with that, but curious as to why. Here's what I see:

Tie:
    - Bold, especially on the dark of the suit. I get that one wants contrast, but rarely do successful fits have a value variance this great.
    - Yellow, which is generally strongly disfavored here (See the Friday challenge the central premise of which was that it's near impossible to do a yellow tie well)
    - Wide, especially in comparison to the slender lapels and your frame (which, to be clear, I envy)

Shirt:
    - Bold/fun stripes plus contrast collar (OK, it's with a suit. But a NAVY suit. Fun meets CBD)
    - Size of stripes not far off from the scale of pattern in tie

Lapels slightly more slender than is usually preferred here, though that may just be in proportion to the tie.

12. IsteRed

IsteRed Well-Known Member

Yep, you'll have hard time finding a person to know what is SAS (a chain of supermarkets i Yerevan btw), let alone know its emblem

Why? Don't you like it?

13. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

Couldn't get a great pic today but went to a friend's graduation event so I'm rocking a little alma mater spirit tie!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(colors in 1st are accurate… 2nd just to show the links.)

1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

Yellow ties are definitely not to my taste, and I generally don't go for contrast collars either, but this seems to me like a good execution of a particular aesthetic. Thus my thumb. It's not SF dogma-consistent, but that doesn't make it bad.

2 people like this.
  15. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Well-Known Member

I know about this rule but don't necessarily agree with it. For instance:

[​IMG]

Of course, several things about this are "wrong" - sleeves too short, no socks, tassel loafers with a suit, model is too handsome and so forth. But I think the visible belt buckle creates a really nice secondary focal point (primary being the bow tie) within a sea of windowpane.

2 people like this.
  16. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

you're so consistently good, I don't think I've really disliked anything you've ever posted SB

Linen trews?- I don't think this works Seajen, not up to your usual outstanding-ness. the jacket looks Odd, and trews that casual aren't tie-worthy IMO. The shoos (cordo?) have a gravity not matched by those flimsy pants

I dislike contrast collars Braddock, so maybe that's prejudiced me, but this fit's a bit all over the place IMO. Top block's too busy- such an in-you-face tie and shirt would b better with a plain linen hank IMO
    lapels are bowing- suit's too tight all over IMO Guy with your dignity and suave-
    neity could go for a more relaxed fit . no hayt!

Happy B'day Stitches

2 people like this.
  17. PCK1

PCK1 Well-Known Member

People should post more full fits...this thread has become populated with a mass of incomplete fits.

Just showing a close up of your tie know, shirt collar, and jacket laps doesn't actually show anything...

For all we know the jacket or trousers you are wearing are 12 times to big...

or that you are wearing sneakers with your suit..

Just a general observation...

5 people like this.
  18. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a let down today, @Pliny
    I quite like linen pants in the summer, and wrinkles aside, these are styled pretty formally and of substantial Irish linen, so I didn't see a formality clash myself. What do you mean by the oddness of the jacket, though. It's a pretty standard navy blazer to my eye. The shoulders are somewhat roped (zegna) and the button point is quite high I guess, but anything else?

I appreciate the suggestion that I'm normally outstanding though. Quite the praise and from someone who his himself consistently excellent. Cheers.

19. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

lets not get carried away now. :devil:

Thanks!!

while there is validity to this observation, i think its worth noting the following.

1. not everyone has a personal photographer or a tripod and proper camera, so for some its just not really an option. as for propping up your phone on a stool or step, its almost impossible to get a good angle, and a bad angle of a full fit will completely misconstrue it to the point that feedback is often on issues that are not really there. and in that case, close ups of potions of the fit are better than nothing.

2. there is a lot to be said for focusing on just the jacket/tie/shirt/PS composition of a fit. i think that its just as big an area of error as proper fit, and often harder to learn. there is no shortage of combinations here that get posted that are incoherent in so many ways. posting a close up of just a top block allows people to focus solely on the coherency of the items. for those who are new it allows people to give them feedback on their errors so they can learn, and for those that are pros, its a great learning tool for everyone else to see how they combine things. worth noting as well, that full fits necessitate distance and you cant always fully see the individual items to see if they are coherent or not.

3. there are a lot of people posting just block shots that used to post full fits. whether they started as pros or only reached that level later on, it came to a point where it was clear that they had fit nailed down, and most critiquing after that was more personal preference than objective error, and hearing the same feedback over and over that is not beneficial to anyone when that feedback is more subjective than objective. once a person has their fit nailed down, its just a lot easier and less time consuming to post block shots than full shots, and by posting those blocks at least these members are still able to show people how combinations should be pieced together.

10 people like this.
  20. Pliny

Pliny Well-Known Member

it's the combination of relatively formal elements up top against the trews IMO.
    .. and I think a worsted navy blazer needs some or all of - patch pockets, contrast buttons, swelled edges and at least to be in a roughed worsted like a fresco or a hopsack. From that pic, and i could be wrong, that blazer wants quite formal partners. I love those tassels FWIW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.