HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

looking good, like the contrast. but im sorry to say the boy has outdone you in your post.

No worries, I dressed the boy head to toe. Even tied his tie and folded his square. [​IMG]

Mike

2. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

Glasses worn while teaching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I watched "I Saw the Devil" last night and I thought of you, Aeglus. Is that weird?

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

No worries, I dressed the boy head to toe. Even tied his tie and folded his square. [​IMG]

Mike

[​IMG]
    you are a good dad. i cant wait till my boy gets old enough for me to do that. i hope he is ok with dressing well.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

1930's Boater Redux....(be warned, it's a touch 'costumy')
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I just finished removing the collar from an old shirt and stitching in some new button holes so I could try out this vintage 'double round' collar I've had for a few years...thought I should go the whole hog with the belt-backed linen DB and the boater! Also loving this tie from Howard Yount[​IMG]
    -TTO

Maybe a bit costumey, but not in any way which displeases. If I saw you walking down the street, it would brighten my day.
    Summer is officially here. So, why not greet it with some color?
    [​IMG] [​IMG][/spoiler] Also, some proof that I am passing on the tradition...the 13 year old this weekend:
    [​IMG][/spoiler] Have a good one, Mike
    Love the color, but you're overwhelming those lapels. They almost look like they're cowering in fear! The boy looks good.
    Happy Solstice, everyone. Anyone want some ice cream? Don't even discuss the wrinkled trou. These were pressed maybe an hour before this photo. Humidity is killer today.
    [​IMG] Details. [​IMG] [​IMG] Fritz came with me to the office today. Had a 9.30 appointment with the groomer to get his summer cut, and I had a 9.00 client meeting. I need to teach him how to file. [​IMG]
    Shame about the trousers. I feel your pain. Otherwise, a nice summery look.
    Glasses worn while teaching. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    What, no apple? Don't your students like you? [​IMG] Anyway, here's what I've got on today. This has a lower buttoning point than last week's look. I thought previously that it was too low, but maybe not. Thoughts? Trying not to melt in the actual summer weather which has descended on San Francisco... [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

[​IMG] You evil man.
    I am too used to the minds of unwell individuals. (it comes from browsing this forum too much [​IMG] )
    Been watching for a long time, however this is my first post at the forum.
    A very nice start; welcome!
    Wrinkles and all.
    This is probably falls under the "personal bugbear" category rather than anything else, but I think if you're wearing such a pale coloured suit, you need some colour elsewhere to compensate. Doesn't need to be a bright colour, but you need some contrast somewhere, or it all becomes wallpaper. Either a darker shade of tan for the suit with that white shirt, or a coloured shirt with that pale tan suit.
    [​IMG]
    You look distinctly non-plussed; having a bad day? Nice outfit though. Watch is also nice, but not ideal for that look IMO.
    Off the top of my head, this is the best I've seen from you...
    Yep, I'd agree; good colours/combinations.
    [​IMG]
    Difficult to tell with the blurry image but shirt/tie seem a bit confusing/clashing pattern-wise. Dunno.
    Colors came out a bit oversaturated...
    You say it like it's a bad thing. You'll never make The Sartorialist with an attitude like that! [​IMG]
    Trying to wear a boater without having somewhat eccentric look is a hiding to nothing IMO. This compares well with, say, vox's boater/seersucker suit combo. Both are not your run-of-the-mill looks, so a boater fits in well.
    Also, some proof that I am passing on the tradition...the 13 year old this weekend
    Very cool. Well, maybe not cool, exactly, but I approve immensely! [​IMG]
    Don't even discuss the wrinkled trou. These were pressed maybe an hour before this photo.
    [​IMG] wow. Forgive the slightly noisy/blurry full-length pic. I had an appointment at 9am today, which is a mercifully rare thing these days (why I agreed, I have no idea!) and was feeling rather blurry myself. My camera was experiencing sympathy pain, it seems...
    [​IMG]

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

[​IMG]

very nice. i have got to get a nice windowpane suit someday soon

8. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I just finished removing the collar from an old shirt and stitching in some new button holes so I could try out this vintage 'double round' collar I've had for a few years...thought I should go the whole hog with the belt-backed linen DB and the boater!
    Also loving this tie from Howard Yount[​IMG]
    -TTO

Fantastic, Theo. Great look. Is the jacket modern or vintage?

Summer is officially here. So, why not greet it with some color?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, some proof that I am passing on the tradition...the 13 year old this weekend:

[​IMG]

Have a good one,

Mike

You and the offspring both look great! I agree the lapels on the blue jacket are a bit skimpy, but I'd wear it anyway too.

Not so sure I agree. I subscribe to the theory that "The idea is to make the handkerchief look as natural as possible, simply placed in the pocket with no thought. The linen or cotton hanky is a functional instrument of dress and not a decoration, something all too often implied by the idea of a 'pocket square.' Avoid complicated folding techniques that render a studied and dwelled upon look. The ideal handkerchief should look like it is growing out of your pocket."

http://dresswithstyle.com/2010/01/02...-always-handy/

I despair when I see all the TV folds on SF.

The more I've thought about this philosophy, the more it just doesn't make sense to me. When you actually just plop a square in your pocket without any thought at all, it looks terrible. You get too much showing (see Spoo's look today), too little showing, or a pocket bulge that makes you look like you had a mastectomy on the other side.

It is possible to look too carefully dressed, but a little artifice isn't a bad thing. Compare it with a nicely done tie dimple, which nobody complains about as looking too artificial. It's way better to take a little care when you're tying your tie than to end up with something messy-looking like Aeglus' knot yesterday.

9. Wraitii

Wraitii Active Member

There's a difference between "looking like no effort has been put into it" and "no effort has been put into it". I think the flute handkerchief is the only one that really fits the former description accurately, though.

10. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

Today some colour to my bland palate. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am with you on the pocket square being folded nicely Ogre. I personally wouldn't ever blow my nose in any of my pocket squares, so no need to make them look effortless. I don't want to try and "trick" people into thinking something is effortless and utilitarian when for me, it isn't.

12. Philip1978

Philip1978 Senior member

I am[/IMG][/center]

Love the windowpane.

13. Nelton

Nelton Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is amazing, I love all the details, especially the shirt.

Cheers Nick

14. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

Check my kid above for how to do Seersucker, Crusty. IMHO, you have way too much light color here. You should have brought in something else. A pale blue shirt, a darker tie...some contrast somewhere. It looks nice, but to me seems washed out. Mike
    Crusty, Mike is right. I'd swap out the yellow tie. Holdfast, that window pane suit is [​IMG] [​IMG] . The tie, too. Great combo. Sugarbutch, those pants cry out for a trip to the tailor.

15. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Glad Theo and Mike got the anti-CBD memo I sent.

Waiting on % to check his email...

I'm in full non-BD mode, C or otherwise. Not "anti" anything; it's just too hot and muggy for a coat and tie, especially since I commute all of 2 miles by public transit and/or foot.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.