1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AJL

AJL Senior member

I'd pretty much concur with most everything Evolve said, though I'd also consider a spread or semi-spread shirt collar for a slightly more elegant look, and a darker brown for the shoes, possibly with a reddish cast. There's nothing particularly terrible about the outfit, nor is there anything that couldn't be improved upon to some degree (presumably that's why you're here). For a first post, it's a far sight better than a lot of train wrecks that derail here on their maiden voyage.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

my wife could barely hold the camera still due to the smile. you should see how the whole facial expression looks without the black bar, i look almost scary.

3. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

+1

The first rule of pocket squares is "When in doubt, skip it."

I have ditched all pocket squares except my white cotton hankies in a TV fold, and I am even starting to forego those. The PS is the one part of the suit ensemble that's both optional and totally non-functional (ties are non-functional, but also not optional in a conservative setting). I have actually used a cotton hankie to wipe off my shoes when it's raining, but it works much better if you keep it in a hip or inside pocket. I find it really difficult to get handkerchiefs in and out of my outside breast pocket while wearing my suit. So, a white cotton/linen PS at least gives the illusion of functionality, even if it doesn't actually deliver.

If I were to wear a silk PS and someone asked me, "Why do you wear a pocket square?" I feel that my only response would be, "Because I am vain." If you can't think of a better response, you shouldn't wear a PS.

1 person likes this.
  4. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Because I have a pocket that's specifically made for it?

1 person likes this.
  5. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

^ Good example.

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

You're very kind to say so dear heart, thank you!

1 person likes this.
  7. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Cleav indeed has one of the best smiles. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. AJL

AJL Senior member

If you aren't confident that the addition of the PS is improving your overall look, that may be reason enough to forego one. For someone to question why you are wearing one, either they lack a certain degree of sophistication, or perhaps you really didn't do a very good job in selection or execution, IMO. If it looks great, I don't see why anyone would question it, or why you should be bothered to have to justify it if they do. "Because it looks great and I like it" seems a reasonable response. Of course if you feel too self-concious wearing one, that's a separate issue.

I would recommend a white linen hank with a colored border as the next step up from plain white linen. Adds a little flair, variety of accent color choices, very easy to wear.

3 people like this.
  9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

On the white shirt thing, while I agree it's true in man cases, I just think nothing works better than white with black hair, unless you're gong casual with bold/dark colors or patterns. Similarly while pastels look great it doesn't on me. I have lavender, mint, pale blue, and I never wear them. Similarly I love the look of tweed but I just don't think it looks good on myself personally, I feel like that's just how clothing works, you have to suit what you're working with.

That said I thnk textured whites, linen whites, off-whites/cream are solid alternatives. I think pale blue looks really washed up, I think it makes send as the color goes well with light or blonde hair and well with brown of other degrees but black is just too sharp with anything else so I prefer to dress it down so to speak with texture instead. Thoughts?

I do have a white/light green tie today though, spand that would not work with white so I went with a cream/yellow shirt.

Still I've come to really love white shirts.

1 person likes this.
  10. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

Nobody ever actually asks; it's more about me asking myself why I am wearing a PS. I find it to be a useful thought experiment. If my honest answer is "Because it looks great and I like it," then I go with it. If my honest answer is, "Well, I'm not sure it looks good, but I'd like to try to dress better and people on the internet do it," then I put it back in the drawer. So, yes, it's all about confidence that it's actually improving the look.

1 person likes this.
  11. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I think the white shirt black hair thing is totally wrong. Where did you come up with that?

White shirt and black jeans however...

12. AJL

AJL Senior member

Actually I think it is a twinkle of the eye that is Cleav's main attribute, the smile just follows suit (sorry if I'm taking this conversation in an odd direction).

With HF, hard to say what lies behind the forbidding black band, though I'd like to think his eyes are smiling too.

4 people like this.
  13. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

14. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Gentlemen, very kind of you. I shall share this with Duchess and see if I can work some magic...

3 people like this.
  15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

A joint Trinity/UCD conference.

Ten-to-one it wasn't anyone from Trinity or UCD, I can tell you that much ...

Cheers,

Ac

1 person likes this.
  16. Suit of Nettles

Suit of Nettles Senior member

In precisely the same circumstances, I've never worn worn a suit or dropped into polochino mode for exactly the reasons you state.

What you have is, thanks to the shoes, a pretty good play on the 'security guard' navy/grey look. That said, to my mind, you're still *very* conservative for colloquy -- which may be fine, depending on your field and predilections, but it sounds like you're trying to go in a different direction.

Definitely throw in a pocket-square, at minimum: even just a simple white cotton or linen fold. You could also shake basic outfit up a bit without the 'institutional blue' OCBD; a striped one could work wonders without departing too much from what you have currently. You could also (gasp) lose the tie, which would open things up a touch, though you'd be giving up a useful element.

Generally though, I'd look for a little more texture. I'm not saying you need to throw on an eye-popping tweed, but something more might help.

Based on my experience, however, you could wear every stitch as is and look pretty dapper among the scholarly set.

One other thing: your left cuff is doing something odd...

1 person likes this.
  17. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

In my head, my pant-legs are much shorter. It's good to look at a photo now and then. The shoes are from Allen Edmonds - Players' shoes:

[​IMG]

They are now discontinued, and I got them on a closeout sale. They were priced well, and with the broguing and double sole I thought that I could use them in place of a longwing blucher.

1 person likes this.
  18. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

Thanks for the suggestion about the shirt; a spread collar sounds very nice, especially after looking at some of the examples in this thread. My ideal shoes would be a burgundy or dark brown single monk with this outfit, but I have yet to add them to my closet. I have a pair of oxblood oxfords that I think are too formal, but I also have a pair of dark brown hatch-grain oxfords with a storm welt. Perhaps I'll give those a try.

19. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I've read it but it doesn't really address people of different complexion or hair color.

Why do you disagree then? I don't think pastels (and tweeds) look good on me that's just my feeling. Can you show me some counter examples?

Black is just a very stark color unless textured and made casual/industrial/etc. That's why black jeans white shirts work and why swd works IMO.

20. AJL

AJL Senior member

Shoes look redder here than in your fit pic. Difference in lighting/exposure, or have you altered the original color?
    Bear in mind some here will say a spread collar (full spread) is too formal to pair with a blazer, but I am not one. Look to Claghorn for inspiration on this front. Single monk sounds nice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.