1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

The resolution of the shot doesn't show the fact the shirt is an oxford, or at least oxford-y texture. so based on what you've said it should go together a little more in this case?

2. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Ftfy ;)

(PS: 'course you meant it that way. just to make sure we're all on the same page.)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

If that's the case I don't like the fact that it is a spread collar. Buttondown, baby.

1 person likes this.
  4. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

You see, this is a look I really like - light blue tie, white shirt, navy jacket. This is what I was wearing the other day, but I got a similar response - they didn't like the tie, or that the tie is too light for the navy. I don't think so, I think it looks good and Clags has shown this again.

3 people like this.
  5. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Since we're on the subject of length. I'm still trying to understand this. I know general rules as far as coat length (cover the ass/go to the knuckles) but then when I see the above and many other fits barely covering the ass I second guess those rules. It seems SC's are being cut much shorter nowadays and their fits still getting high praise. Is there some exception to this that I'm missing? I'm not saying I dislike the above look but it just goes against what I know. Edit, I guess it's hard to tell in the above pic.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's a nice look, but difficult to do without being too plain (which is a different from boring, which can be connoted positively as soporific)
    The tie is cotton as opposed to silk, adding visual interest that may not be apparent there. An old picture of it, closer up (and when I was moderately bearded)

[​IMG]

Had his hands not been in his pocket, and the shortness of the jacket obvious, I'm willing to be that look would have gotten a lot less love.

1 person likes this.
  7. patrickBOOTH

Length is a weird thing. Commenters have their own ways of assessing it based on things like where the hem is in relation to the wearer's hands and such, but that is inaccurate due to some people have shorter or longer arms and hands. Also people forget that some people have longer or shorter torsos, the same for people's legs. To really assess length you have to look at the whole picture, the entire height of the person and even how fitted the garment is to assess it.

2 people like this.
  8. patrickBOOTH

Clag, the tie is nice. It is perfect for the spring.

2 people like this.
  9. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Where I live they do, anything looser would be considered baggy.

10. patrickBOOTH

That's what I meant!

11. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Assuming that you're talking about jeans, I'd say that's the case for most of Europe.

12. patrickBOOTH

Doesn't make it right.

13. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

I can wear a beach-y sweater in Ohio on 60°F days, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That would look much better with beach-y trousers. These are much too dark and formal for the light sweater.

1 person likes this.
  15. patrickBOOTH

Not sold on that fit, Moss. I can't tell what kind of pants those are. If they are chinos that's fine, but the sweater is way too casual if they are anything dressier. Also, that sweater is way to casual for the ocbd under it. I would wear that sweater without a collared shirt under it. Also, I think charcoal pants, or jeans would look better with the sweater.

16. mossrockss

mossrockss Senior member

That's what I was afraid of!

17. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I have noticed a number of fits getting a lot of praise when I thought the jackets were laughably short, but then I remember that I'm old.
    Regardless of the temperature, I'm retiring the winter wardrobe completely this weekend (thought that happened last weekend, though). One just gets too bored wearing the same stuff over and over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  18. patrickBOOTH

I like it Sea, I just think it would look better if it was an OCBD bengal striped shirt.

2 people like this.
  19. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

casual fit like Robs89's a shorter jacket is a must IMO. tight pants sticking out of a longer jacket's [​IMG]

20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

+1000

Flusser’s worth quoting on the length issue, because what he has to say is pretty much what a good tailor would say:

“The principal criterion governing a jacket’s length is that it be long enough to cover the curvature of the buttocks while giving the leg as long a line as possible […] Two methods for determining the correct method originated with America’s development of ready-made men’s clothing, which needed general guidelines upon which to establish its standards of fit. The first employs the arm as a guide; when your hand is dropped at you side, the bottom of the jacket is supposed to line up with the [knuckle of the] outstretched thumb. Though generally reliable, this formula has one drawback: arm length varies from person to person. The second approach measures the distance from the jacket’s back collar (the point at which it joins the coat’s body) to the floor, which is then divided in half. This is the procedure taught in most tailoring schools. Either of these two approaches can be influenced by dimensions unique to the wearer; a top tailor will use neither, trusting his practiced eye to take in the whole picture before deciding on the jacket’s ideal length.” — Dressing the Man, pp. 40-41.

Notice, please: (1) the first criterion is that the buttocks be covered; (2) the most frequently cited criterion, the thumb knuckle, is actually the least reliable and has its origins not in tailoring but in marketing; (3) the half-way-to-the-floor criterion is one taught to tailors (but only as a first approximation subject to adjustments to accommodate the individual).

Since most photos on SF are from the front, it’s not always possible to know with certainty if a jacket is properly covering the buttocks. A reasonable substitute is to see if it covers the crotch: does it extend to the point in the vertical dimension where the two trouser inseams meet.

The most important point, however, is the one I put in bold type (the same can be said for buttoning points, but that’s a different discussion). One dresses an individual, not an ideal.

Cheers,

Ac

7 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.