1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Where the heck is Nimo?

2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

Sorry HF, but no.

It's completely at odds wi the formality level of a navy DB suit. Not even sure why you would try this, the likelihood for success was slim to none at the concept stage.

3. beneven

beneven Well-Known Member

Thanks very much, Gianni--it's my favorite Marinella [​IMG]

@kulata Looking very sharp!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Hmm, I always think of Nehru collars as being very formal, given their use in weddings. Interesting.

Is this question meant for me?

If so, I'm not sure I get the question. If you mean at the collar, then yes, the band is high enough to appear above the jacket, same as a normal shirt's band would be.

5. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Do you think a turtleneck would have gone with or is that incongruous as well due to the formality?

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

5 people like this.
  7. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Sorry, HF, not feeling it. I dont love either, but the roll neck looks better than this imo.

8. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Yes, thanks, it was meant for you. I hit "reply" rather than quote. Sorry. I was merely wondering whether someone standing behind you would know you're wearing a shirt.

Cheers,

Ac

9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

HF, I think the biggest issue with this fit is that you're wearing a chalk stripe suit, the epitome of business/city suits. Why not try the shirt with a plain light/medium grey suit if you're going for the futuristic look? Maybe something with a little mohair in it?

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thanks. It's very interesting hearing that; I would have thought the turtle would have been more controversial. I wonder if getting a higher band on the Nehru might alleviate some of the issue...

I have to say, I have a feeling that I will still wear it with formal suits anyway, just because it feels good on me and I like the look. But that doesn't mean I'm ignoring the feedback; keep it coming as it's useful to know the balance of popular opinion, regardless of whatever I finally decide. [​IMG]

The idea of a light/medium grey suit is good. I was thinking about trying it with a plain navy 2B too. I also have a checked grey mohair/wool DB awaiting alteration and was going to try that with it too, so that chimes with your suggestion too.

To Ac - yes, they can tell I'm wearing a shirt. I see what you mean now.

2 people like this.
  11. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

@Holdfast i agree with your retro-future assessment, but I still like it. It looks like you should be giving a sermon on the body electric. :bigstar: minus the bow.

12. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

This was my thought -- soft shouldered DB is the right idea, but it needs to be a more out-there fabric. Maybe a fancy stripe, a la the less reputable Hong Kong tailors, so you look like a Mafia underboss in a 1984 William Gibson novel.

If you like it enough to get a second, I think cream could be cool.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

LOL, yes, I get what you mean.

I actually wished I had a black suit to wear with it today. First time I've thought that!

Other options apart from that and the ones mentioned by Monkeyface above, that I think might work: tan or tobacco linen suit, possible mid-blue blazer in a similar sort of fabric. Or mid slim grey trousers and a black leather jacket perhaps. I've been meaning to get one... [​IMG]

ooh... now this idea I Iike!!

You know, the more I think about it, the more I think I was unconsciously chanelling some kind of Blade Runner-esque vibe by pairing it with a suit. I do love that movie. Was there something similar in Gattaca too? Can't remember.

Anyway, now this theme has been made conscious to me, through your and AAS's posts, I think I have some ideas of how to deploy it in a more directed way within that theme next time.

1 person likes this.
  14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

HF, it's not something I would do, but I think it probably works for you. I think a taller band would balance out the proportions a bit better, though.

3 people like this.
  15. Amar ezzahi

Amar ezzahi Senior member

Already summer in Aix...

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

I think Gattaca had spearpoint collars, but a nehru collar would definitely fit with the spirit of that movie.

2 people like this.
  17. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Nice look. Is this a suit or SC? If the latter what type of trousers are you wearing?

1 person likes this.
  18. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Senior member

Me too. I would welcome a shift away from the banality of the (much loved) solid grenadine...

19. ianGP

ianGP Senior member

Too early for this jacket?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21 people like this.
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Could this be one of those European/American differences which occasionally crop up here? I used to sail as a young man, and I can testify that in the U.S. a navy DB with a cream turtleneck was pretty common at yacht clubs here during the autumn, so that look is familiar to me. I've never seen a Nehru collar with a DB in real life, on the other hand.

Cheers,

Ac

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.