• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

X-poast from friday challenge
I think "dapper" is the correct word for this look. Fantastic.
But this all brings to mind something I think Derek S is alluding to and has been on my mind a lot lately, which I think is in tune with Stitchy's rant too, which is that there should be two WAYWRN threads going on this forum. One for those who are seeking honest critique as they inch their way along the road towards 'sartorial nirvana' (I might nick that one myself!), and one for those who just want the world (of SF) to see how absolutely awesome they look, and setting up a blog / tumblr or whatever is just not enough for them. Maybe the latter should have no commentary. there would be no need anyway as we (i.e. they) already think they are awesome anyway. That way the first group are less likely to be butt hurt in the way some people currently are on here, and the second group can bask in their circle jerk of awesomeness without fear of reproach or snark.
In fairness to a few people on this board, the thread IS titled "What Are You Wearing Right Now", not "Please Critique, Revere, Challenge, Mock, or Otherwise Talk About What I am Wearing Right Now." I know the thread has evolved into banter and discussion, so maybe a second thread is indeed in order for those who just want to put up a picture and not talk about it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AS - that is quite nice. i noticed you did not post a full length shot showing the pants length this time. smart move. ;)

PandA - i think remember that fit, if its old that is. either way, its excellent.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

The trick with dark blue pants is to go lighter than navy, IMO. Even if it's just a few shades lighter.

I think you're on to something here RD. I have a beige cotton chino jacket and wore it a few times with dark navy wool strides, and it looked a bit off to me (and I swear it wasn't the SF naysayers' words ringing in my ears!) Then I got a pair of cotton strides from Express ( yeah yeah I know!) that were lighter than navy with a slightly greenish cast - not sure how to describe the colour, maybe marine blue? - and it works out much better. AAS has a dark blue but lighter than navy pair in that pic which I also like. I'm a bit sick of suits and strides claiming to be navy which are sooooo dark to my eyes they are almost black. Much prefer a few shades lighter so its obvious they are blue.

Edit - the colour strides I got from Express looks close to those that Panda is wearing in his pic right there. Nice shot P!

Last edited:

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PandA - i think remember that fit, if its old that is. either way, its excellent.

Cheers!

Yeah it's old...the past few pics I've posted we're all from the Summer of 2011 right around when I took my SF break. The only reason I've resurrected them here was that I felt...and hoped...that they were relevant to a particular discussion or illustrated another's point :)

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In fairness to a few people on this board, the thread IS titled "What Are You Wearing Right Now", not "Please Critique, Revere, Challenge, Mock, or Otherwise Talk About What I am Wearing Right Now." I know the thread has evolved into banter and discussion, so maybe a second thread is indeed in order for those who just want to put up a picture and not talk about it.
Depending on what you're talking about, there's maybe two threads that are like that. I posted in one, which was about good taste, and got no response.

I think the thread is fine as it is. Mainly due to the fact of the shelf-life. If we make another thread that's just for discussion, it will eventually morph in to this. If we have one for just pics, one for pics asking for critiques and one to talk about the pics posted in the first thread, it's too much.

The thread is imperfect but it's better than three imperfect threads. And god forbid we get people x-posting in them all.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers!

Yeah it's old...the past few pics I've posted we're all from the Summer of 2011 right around when I took my SF break. The only reason I've resurrected them here was that I felt...and hoped...that they were relevant to a particular discussion or illustrated another's point
smile.gif
Well thank you for hopping back in and helping to get the thread back to some good taste.

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Edit - the colour strides I got from Express looks close to those that Panda is wearing in his pic right there. Nice shot P!

Thanks. I know what you are talking about because my first stab at this combo was with a darker navy trou and it didn't work as well as my next attempt posted above.
Note: Though the pick seems dark it's actually pretty darn close to the actual shade/color of the trou.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I post pictures for these three reasons, in order

- I enjoy it. Pure and simple. I've always been inclined towards exhibitionism.
- To receive constructive feedback and improve
- To be a part of the community

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
seems legit.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AAS - that is quite nice. i noticed you did not post a full length shot showing the pants length this time. smart move.
wink.gif
Guilty.

I quite like this one too - I try to make a point of applauding tan / beige jackets with dark blue / navy strides as it says 'F you' to those on here who refuse to believe that combination can look good. The upper half looks a little washed out though AAS, maybe this was an opportunity for you to break out one of your more colorful shirts.
I usually don't post pics of my face, but it's a nice shade of brown (or so I've been told). I think it provides a good contrast. I also would have loved to have a used a more navy pocket square to add contrast as well. This one has a bit too much white in it. Also, the jacket is a bit darker in real life. I'll try a brighter shirt next time. Thank you for your recommendation.

Last edited:

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

...Like I said, almost all blue can be done tastefully. I know it can, I've seen it!

I just wanted to touch on this point a bit as I'm a bit of a blue fanatic :)
In the past year or so I've found that the right combo of blue elements can create a very pleasing fit. However, I like to break up the potential for monotony with something patterned like a blue gingham shirt or brown lace-ups. My favourite combo, which I'm sporting today consists of a navy linen jacket, blue gingham shirt, blue 513s and Bass blue bucks with white laces...and to prove I'm a blue fanatic :embar: ...these:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if a "Best of" thread is a good idea, with the following rules:

• You are allowed to post one fit from the previous week
  • It can be any type. OCBD, Casual, anything - as long as it's Men's Classic
  • The fit can not be yours, it must be someone else's fit that you admire
  • No discussion, though you are allowed to thumb up as many pictures as you want.
  • Though there's no discussion, a brief description on why you liked it
  • Picture can be from anywhere on the MC side, In Good Taste, HOF, MC, any thread at all (I'd say you need permission but I think if you post a picture on the forum, that's consent enough)
  • (maybe) you're allowed to post the same fit if it has been posted, so long as you are aware it's the only post you get. That way you can leave your comments on why you liked it

This way, you can see why people like what you have and how many like it. More of an admiration thread than critique.

Anyone like the idea?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads