1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

thanks ! Vass P2 last, 3-eyelet blucher dk brown scotch grain

2. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

10 out of 10.

3. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

[​IMG]

A tad bit Wall Street. (Ignore the strange looking shoulder, must've messed up whilst I was trying to find a good angle with my other arm)

4 people like this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Lest anyone tell you that SF discussions don't affect what I wear the next day, this addresses two birds with one stone. Stitchy and I had a brief discussion about the merits of a proper robo-pose (and what constitutes a robo-pose). He had in mind the at attention, arms directly at your side, fists clenched. I had in mind a more natural pose, the sort a tailor has you assume when you are measured. Standing as you would normally stand, arms hanging at your side. We both agree that either version of the pose isn't good for a picture in terms of feel. He dislikes the pose for fit reasons, but I held that there was no better pose from which one could conjecture how an item of clothing looks in a variety of positions as well as, perhaps most importantly, in movement.

There was also some mention of not wearing a purple tie with a white shirt. There is probably some credence to this in terms of a white shirt being formal and purple not being a formal color, but with the right approach, could probably be done well. I went with a linen-silk blend to bring the formality down a bit. The shirt, though white and spread collared, is oxford cloth. The suit is a linen-wool blend and the three patch pockets drop the formality further. So. I think it works. But I could be wrong.

[​IMG]

21 people like this.
  5. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

That looks nice Clags, though I'd call that tie on the plum end of the spectrum of purple. The saturated colour of the suit also lends itself well to that tie colour as well.

1 person likes this.
  6. acecow

acecow Senior member

If I have to squint to tell where the suit ends and the shirt begins it's a bad fit.

7. MrTopCat

MrTopCat Senior member

Are you talking about the striped shirt with a pinstripe suit, or the actual fit of the shirt/suit? (Sorry I'm a bit of a newbie here)

The stripes of the shirt are much lighter in person (Light purple) if that helps. Although if I had a decent solid charcoal suit, I'd probably wear that with this shirt/tie combination rather than with the pinstriped suit.

But thanks for your input!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  8. acecow

acecow Senior member

The pattern is too close. This would be good with the charcoal suit that you have. The way it is now it doesn't work at all.

9. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Perhaps that makes the pairing with a white shirt unproblematic, and perhaps a darker shade of purple might go better with a light blue shirt.

But frankly I'm on Sugar Butch's team on this one: I don't necessarily see a problem with pairing any purple tie with a white shirt just because the tie's purple.

— Ac

1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

FTFY

---

clags, that is an excellent robopose, which to me speaks more to the quality of your robopose than to the robopose itself, or its primacy in showcasing a fit. in any case, the fit there is great, but we know that because you have posted that suit before.

as to purple and white, i think its about hues. i dont think purple is automatically an informal color. i think certain hues of purple however, are informal, ones that are bright or saturated or loud. and that goes for many other colors as well.

as i see it, your tie is pretty bright, and against the bright white shirt, its quite jarring. i dont think it is therefor bad, i dont mind jarring. but i do think a light blue shirt there would have been better. had the purple been of a more muted hue, i think it would jive better with the white shirt.

as a very narcissistic example, my fit from today sports a rust/orange tie on a white shirt, which was also on mantons shit list. the only reason i did it, was because its more of a matte orange/rust. had it been brighter or more saturated, i dont think it would have worked, and maybe one could argue even as is it doesnt work.

1 person likes this.
  11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Just checking in to thank everyone for the complements on the jacket.

Carry on...

1 person likes this.
  12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

those lapels r fabuloso. crazy, but they work on u

i don't have to tell u he's super-conservative, & a different aesthetic to WAYWN. he benchmarks the rules and that's awsm, but train-wrecks aside it'd be a dull thread if we all conformed . I like faux tweedy Italian jacketings too much, for one thing

the cut of that jacket's great. A personal thing, buit the purple with the blue (more than with the white) not sure about

1 person likes this.
  13. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

To clarify (since I made the comment), I didn't say that white shirts and purples ties don't work (though I feel that light blue shirt, purple tie is nicer). I just felt that imthegrooms purple tie (which was matched with a white tie) was terrible and said so.

14. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Light blue, I think, works better here.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. in stitches

16. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

that suit b4 roks Stitches [​IMG]

17. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Thanks for the thumbs yesterday, really appreciate it. Well, @tchoy rejected by green jacket challenge idea, but I thought I would break this one out anyway seeing as The Masters starts today: [
    URL=http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/1243436/][​IMG] [/URL]
    I eschewed a tie today as I don't normally wear one on Thursdays, but does anyone have any thoughts as to what tie (if any) would work with this getup? [
    /quote] Sorry to disappointed you CD, I hope we can do it another time. That green colour is very hard to pull off but you do it very well.

18. in stitches

<3 thanks, pliny!

19. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Honestly, that is the ugliest combo that I've seen Clags in. The suit is superb but that tie and the white shirt combo does not look good.

I am not saying this with any bad intention. It's just my n00b opinion.

1 person likes this.
  20. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Haha, well there are many things on the list of stuff I did to piss off Nicole -- but in this case she's just holding her purse (and miracle bra in place, I imagine)

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.