• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirailleur1

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I believe he has taken critiques pretty well in the past. The hem length is fine to me ( I like high watas myself). Only thing he has been stubborn about from jump are his shoe selections.

GothamRed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If there's one thing consulting will beat into your head, it's a ridiculous attention to detail. Little things like double spaces start to drive you nuts.

I've had partners break out rulers and ream people out when the alignment between slides is off by a millimeter.

The worst (for me) is trying to keep track of which judges like/don't like, inter alia, teh double space.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ok, you all asked for it, and here goes, and this is the toned down version. i feel like some of the old timers that i used to hate hearing them say this, but i think i finally get it.

SF has a groupthink to a degree, and there are no more assh@les to snark the f*ck out of some of these ridiculous fits, and on the rare occasion someone provides critique, the received tends to get all butthurt, OH BUT I LIKE MY LOOK!!! WAH WAH WAH... someone call the f%cking wahmbulance already.

i mean, seriously, is it so hard to look at the forum and see what is considered good and realize you aint it, and if you want to be it, you need to make serious changes. i get that anyone who gives a crap about how they look is usually the best dressed dude in their IRL group of friends, i know i was. and when i posted my first few fits i was like f^ck yeah, look at me, im hot sh#t!! BALLER!! but after like a day of getting feedback on all the myriad issues i had, and looking at what other people were posting, i was like, wow, i suck. so i spent the next year on fixing things and literally changed my entire wardrobe and im still on the outside getting in. open your freaking eyes people, and realize that just because you are happy with your clothing does not mean its great.

one more thing, dont give me your sob story that you only like to spend under X bucks per items. then you are in the wrong damn place. im not rich by any means, but on SF, you have to pay to play, to a degree. every time you buy something on the cheap and knowingly sacrifice something, whether its the fit, or outdated details...., you are going to look off, or even flat out bad. if you are deciding that you wont pony up, you will most likely end up with mediocre to poor results.

now, it can be done. big O is a mad thrifter, but he does it carefully, and i think he is the only one i can think of that manages not to make sacrifices for silly deals and sales, and finds stuff that consistently looks good. but its no easy ask, and you have to be fastidious with what you choose, but the odds for success are stacked against you.

chin up, accept you have a lot to learn, and get with the program. and if you cant stomach that, go to plebeforum or something.
Finally! It was every bit as entertaining as I imagined it to be, and on top of that, I agree with everything. I wish people would give feedback more often on this forum, instead of just the thumbs up. The rise of the thumbs is the downfall of this forum.
This. A lot of your fits are snug but with these high waters you look too outgrown. Put some jam on your shoes and invite your trousers down for tea one day.
laugh.gif
Best metaphor ever! I might just steal that one from you.

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
deadhorse-a.gif

Moving on. This is what I'm wearing today. I would like your feedback as always. And most importantly, let me know what you would have done differently. Shirt, jacket, and pants are from Uniqlo. Bow tie and pocket square are from the Tie Bar.
Why would I ruin my shoes by putting preserves on them? Neither my pants nor my shoes are capable of consuming beverages. Save the metaphors and speak directly. I like the length of my pants. I know it's not traditional, but I'm going to keep them the way they are. I'm also happy with the current buff of my shoes. Thank you for the recommendations.

Seriously? Give me a list of things you refuse to change and things you accept critique on. Saves everyone the trouble of telling you you've outgrown your high school trousers if you say you want to keep the high school trousers.

And the shoes... I never thought the buff/shine was bad. I just thought they should be donated. But you don't want that critique either.

You've got some good fits but you've got some advice that needs to be taken as well.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally! It was every bit as entertaining as I imagined it to be, and on top of that, I agree with everything. I wish people would give feedback more often on this forum, instead of just the thumbs up. The rise of the thumbs is the downfall of this forum.

Had to do it.

Last edited:

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This makes me wish I had more occasions to wear mine.

x-posting to this week's hat challenge, it's perfect linen suit & panama hat weather today:

This, I think, was one of, if not the last of my posts before my 2 year hiatus.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

laugh.gif
The metaphor seems to be a fairly common British expression. I had a UK-born and bred consultant at work who used the expression many times.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

I believe he has taken critiques pretty well in the past. The hem length is fine to me ( I like high watas myself). Only thing he has been stubborn about from jump are his shoe selections.

nah man...i like AAS...super nice fella...but i honestly cant tell you a time when someone has critiqued his fit and he was open to it....im too lazy and frankly dont give enough ***** but if someone wanted to they could go thru his posts and show ya.

as for the high watas...they look fine...but i think he'd benefit from a slimmer leg opening like you use when he goes for a shorter length.

but c'est la vie...im not providing feedback so its no sweat of my taint. but it does get old really fast.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The metaphor seems to be a fairly common British expression. I had a UK-born and bred consultant at work who used the expression many times.
Unfortunately, I haven't encountered it yet during my time here. Maybe I just don't socialize with the right crowd.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

laugh.gif
glad you enjoyed! i dont mind the thumbs. its more the knowledgable people who gave up on helping because people pushed back so hard instead of listening. i get that people like how they look. especially if they are doing something intentionally. but facts are facts. some things are considered good here, and others are not. no one is going to change that, and if you dont like it, too damn bad. thats just how it is. there are plenty of other places to go that think differently. there are people who break the rules and manage to look good and get praise, but they are few and far between. for most regular dudes, if you want to be viewed as being well dressed here, you need to work within a certain subset of guidelines, and yes, there is a TON of room for individuality within those lines. but when someone shuns the general opinion of what is good and one is not, and they dont have the panache to pull it off, they are going to get told. over. and over. and over again. some people want to change, and want to look more like the accepted mode of style because they feel that it is better than how they look, and/or they want to be more appreciated, and thats great. they try and adjust and they keep getting told until they achieve some success, and then they try and achieve that success consistently. and that is kind of the idea of getting group feedback. yes, you will get conflicting opinions from different people, all of whom maybe be very knowledgable and very well dressed. and yes, its your job to sift through it and see what you think is right for you and how you want to build your style within the lines. and if you do that, you are likely on the path for success, and that breeds an open forum for critique. and yes, some of it is phrased harshly because people here have a flair for snark, and its the internet, but a lot of it is meant well, and there is a lot to learn. and the people that are just being jerks, can be easily ignored. however, when the person getting told pushes back. time and time again, and shows no interest in changing or joining the general group appreciated look, then the people helping start to question why they are helping. you want to come here and keep looking like you do, great, but im done offering advice because it just generates aggravation. then they get frustrated and then eventually the advice peters out. and then the advice starts coming from well meaning people, but with less weight to their words, and that gets ignored or fought off because its not heavy enough. and then it just becomes a free for all. i think there is still a good amount of people here that know what they are talking about, and that their advice is taken seriously, but the more push back and the more dilution, the harder it is for people to come and improve. yeah, thats right, SF does not have a no child left behind, touchy-feely, happy-hippy, groovy, do your own thing maaaaaaaan, philosophy. and its that balance of rigidity that lets people grow because the clarity of what is good and what is bad is well defined. and when that line gets overly blurred, then you have fallen right into sh*ts creek. that is my take anyways.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

laugh.gif
I'm glad someone appreciates it!! But this all brings to mind something I think Derek S is alluding to and has been on my mind a lot lately, which I think is in tune with Stitchy's rant too, which is that there should be two WAYWRN threads going on this forum. One for those who are seeking honest critique as they inch their way along the road towards 'sartorial nirvana' (I might nick that one myself!), and one for those who just want the world (of SF) to see how absolutely awesome they look, and setting up a blog / tumblr or whatever is just not enough for them. Maybe the latter should have no commentary. there would be no need anyway as we (i.e. they) already think they are awesome anyway. That way the first group are less likely to be butt hurt in the way some people currently are on here, and the second group can bask in their circle jerk of awesomeness without fear of reproach or snark. And to Derek's point, I've wondered myself about the motivation of those who post fits on here every ******* day. Are they seeking critique at all? Really? Every day? Or are they merely showing us plebs how awesome they (think they) look? Even for the owners of the biggest of wardrobes, once their identity and quirks have been established, mocked, debated, applauded etc., after a while it all sort of resolves into the same ol' same ol' and nothing is really gained for the viewer or the poster, outside of the occasional languid 'oh that combination looks better than usual', or 'that could be improved by XXX'. One exception in the group of daily posters who comes to mind is Spoo. I reckon this is partly because he has a never-ending revolving and evolving wardrobe, partly because despite having developed his own signature 'look', he seems to go through phases (conservative business dress for a while, odd jackets for a while, loud trousers for a while, etc.), and partly because, despite his usually exemplary outfits, he still tries new things, isn't afraid to 'fail ( all critique, and so observers like me just don't bother with them any more and they settle down into their role of posting largely unassailable, usually mediocre pics, boosted up by their handful of admirers throwing compliments their way on a daily basis like a drunken co-ed flashing her saggy **** at Mardi Gras for worthless plastic beads. Come on! Show us your ****! One more time! All IMO of course. No offence meant to anyone, especially those with a tender bottom. :) [/rant]

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Wish I'd waited Stitchy as it looks like you covered a lot of what I was trying to say but you got in there first!

You yourself are in interesting case and all the more ironic for your rant(s). I try to respond to the post, not the poster, but my anecdotal observation without empirical data to back it up was that you were constantly posting bad pics, getting the same feedback regularly, and pushing back with comments like 'it's the camera angle', 'the lighting', 'the wind', 'it's better in real life', or 'well I like it that way'. It seems that recently you've dropped some LBs, grown a pair, made some changes and hey presto, your pics are showing a big leap forward and you've made giant progress. That's not to say we should all slavishly follow every criticism that comes our way, but as you say, no matter how difficult it is to define exactly what 'looks good' and what doesn't, there's something inherent in a good look and if enough people tell a poster the same things over and over, it might be time for that poster to take a more objective approach when looking in the mirror. Anyway, well done you!

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
glad you enjoyed!

i dont mind the thumbs. its more the knowledgable people who gave up on helping because people pushed back so hard instead of listening.

i get that people like how they look. especially if they are doing something intentionally. but facts are facts. some things are considered good here, and others are not. no one is going to change that, and if you dont like it, too damn bad. thats just how it is. there are plenty of other places to go that think differently. there are people who break the rules and manage to look good and get praise, but they are few and far between. for most regular dudes, if you want to be viewed as being well dressed here, you need to work within a certain subset of guidelines, and yes, there is a TON of room for individuality within those lines.

but when someone shuns the general opinion of what is good and one is not, and they dont have the panache to pull it off, they are going to get told. over. and over. and over again. some people want to change, and want to look more like the accepted mode of style because they feel that it is better than how they look, and/or they want to be more appreciated, and thats great.

they try and adjust and they keep getting told until they achieve some success, and then they try and achieve that success consistently. and that is kind of the idea of getting group feedback. yes, you will get conflicting opinions from different people, all of whom maybe be very knowledgable and very well dressed. and yes, its your job to sift through it and see what you think is right for you and how you want to build your style within the lines. and if you do that, you are likely on the path for success, and that breeds an open forum for critique. and yes, some of it is phrased harshly because people here have a flair for snark, and its the internet, but a lot of it is meant well, and there is a lot to learn. and the people that are just being jerks, can be easily ignored.

however, when the person getting told pushes back. time and time again, and shows no interest in changing or joining the general group appreciated look, then the people helping start to question why they are helping. you want to come here and keep looking like you do, great, but im done offering advice because it just generates aggravation. then they get frustrated and then eventually the advice peters out. and then the advice starts coming from well meaning people, but with less weight to their words, and that gets ignored or fought off because its not heavy enough. and then it just becomes a free for all.

i think there is still a good amount of people here that know what they are talking about, and that their advice is taken seriously, but the more push back and the more dilution, the harder it is for people to come and improve. yeah, thats right, SF does not have a no child left behind, touchy-feely, happy-hippy, groovy, do your own thing maaaaaaaan, philosophy. and its that balance of rigidity that lets people grow because the clarity of what is good and what is bad is well defined. and when that line gets overly blurred, then you have fallen right into sh*ts creek.

that is my take anyways.
YES, two rants for the price of one!! You're on fire today
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Seriously though, again, a very good analysis. I guess this could be the second eternal rule of SF, next to Manton's rule of all threads eventually reverting to WAYWRN. I guess there is a way of solving this, we should make a sort of disclaimer that every newbie has to read before he posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads