1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

2. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Pliny -- I have to admit, I didn't get the anti-gray jacket bias, until it clicked for me that all the ones I know and love are, like, Harris tweed. Patch pockets aren't right for every tweed, and I don't love them on dense patterns like most of what you have. The Sandringham you have there, the brown windowpane, that could look cool with patch pockets, but I wouldn't know what trousers to wear with it.

I think a ticket pocket would do it. You could tuck it in if you wanted it to be stealthy.

3. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Love the whole thing, @StanleyVanBuren!

1 person likes this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

should either of those happen, you will not be judged by your tie. but in here, you will be. weird right? :)

---

side bar, there is crazy that is ugly and crazy that is not ugly. that is important to know.

5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

I find these both to be the latter. And, I am confident I won't be judges by my tie, which makes the effort all the more appropriate.

6. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

ITG thinks they aren't ugly. Everyone else disagrees. This is what the last two (three) pages has been about, right? Having summed all that up, let's apply what NickP said about wearing bold shirts to wearing less than sedate ties(if you missed it due to being apoplectic about garish ties/someone criticizing your garish ties, it was that the British will often wear shirts we'd consider inappropriate for a tie in an all solid context). If a tie is ugly, it's ugly. It can be bold and ugly and sedate and ugly. But if you want to make a loud tie look alright, the safest course is probably to make everything else as sedate as possible.

I'm wearing one of my louder ties today. It's a fairly boring fit overall; I doubt there is a poster here who leans so heavily on navy jackets and gray pants, but they are easy and they allow me to explore my extensive tie collection without worry. Because it's loud, I made sure everything else was very low key.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SF Family:
    Panta

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    16 people like this.
  7. in stitches

That works, even if your chest looks like a barber shop entrance.

AYO!

4 people like this.
  8. Claghorn

Least I got hair to cut, boyo

3 people like this.
  9. in stitches

I have hair to cut also!! On my neck. :fu:

10. in stitches

On a more serious note, your shirt collar does not appear to be closing in an optimal way. : (

11. Claghorn

Yup. They sometimes do that, though on the second shots it's worsened because I'm leaning over when I take them, causing the fabric to pivot slightly around the button.

1 person likes this.
  12. in stitches

The fashionz do not accept your answer of:

"They sometimes do that"

Please come up with something better.

Kthnxbaignitecu2morow

1 person likes this.
  13. BriceT1000

BriceT1000 Well-Known Member

You, my friend, are a husky guy even while & after dropping all of the weight (congratulations by the way). It appears to be your natural build so try a 3-button jacket if you haven't already. I highly recommend this. It will bring your visual weight down a bit. I would try a little bit wider (not too wide) tie with a prince albert knot (double 4-in-hand). This is personal but I think some here may agree that there is very limited circumstances where a windsor knot is necessary and if you find yourself in one, wear a bow tie instead. I am sort of an anti-windsor. Also, with all of the lavenders and blues, don't confuse colors with character. You can only look sharp in more vibrant pattern/color combos if you have built your competence with the basics.

If you don't have a big budget the best favor you can do for yourself is to find some items that are flattering and fit nicely, then have a good tailor take care of the rest for you. I am not sure about where you are located but I know that here in Denver there is a shop or two that specializes in carry luxury menswear that is secondhand for great prices. I am talking Isaia, Zegna, Versace etc. Try to snoop out a shop like this in your area if you aren't comfortable with Ebay or cruise our for sale forums.

14. Claghorn

They never do this. My shirts are flawless. Everywhere I go, people tell me how wonderfully my collars close. That lighting is creating shadows which exaggerate the overlap effect. If I had better lighting and a better camera, you'd be able to see how top notch my collars are. But I have better things to do than set up a dslr and tripod to take a picture.

Anyway, it's pretty awesome; they are fantastic. Perhaps you have flies in your eyes.

4 people like this.
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I didn't quote it (and I'm too lazy to go back to find it), but who said that purple ties shouldn't be worn with white shirts? Why would you say that?

16. Claghorn

Depends on the purple, but as a general rule, that seems daft.

17. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

the Sandringham (tan w/ blue overcheck) would go with lite wt mid-gray flannels IMO. I'm going to look around for a soft Moonbeam-like navy with a white or ecru box check- SB made a good point about that single thread check on the Fresco

Manton- in 'How to wear a white shirt' threak 'White is thought to be the perfect background for a variety of ties, a "blank canvas." But this is not so. Many colors look absolutely terrible with white: yellow, orange, rust, lavender, purple, nearly all greens' unquote

.. 'terrible' is Mantonian hyperbole, but I think he has a point - white shirts are formal, so non-classic colors look out of place

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  18. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Mantonian Hyperbole would be a great name for a rock band.

5 people like this.
  19. Claghorn

I want to form a rap supergroup called "Hegelian Dialectics"

As far as white shirts, make it an oxford cloth, not necessarily BD though that helps, and place it in a casual suit or casual jacket context, and I think it'd work fine. Assuming the purple tie is also as casual.

1 person likes this.
  20. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Teetering on the border between genius and insanity - but ultimately qualifying as neither - owing to the execrable shoes.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.