• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First time in 25 years? Good luck man. Congrats!

Thanks. I've never liked (long) running. Apart from gym class in school, I think I ran twice when I was a teenager... I'm a football player (soccer of course :)) and a swimmer. But I think my running time has come : ).

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I've never liked (long) running. Apart from gym class in school, I think I ran twice when I was a teenager... I'm a football player (soccer of course
smile.gif
) and a swimmer. But I think my running time has come : ).
It helps when you have music but I despise running. I'm not one to be positive. "****, only half way there? I have to do what I just did again? Seriously?" That said, I haven't hit that point where my body changes like crazy I don't think.. 26yo, 175lbs, 6'. Soon, I'm sure I'll have to work out to maintain.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is a great looking blue, timo.

manchambo

Reaction score

People judge a book by it's cover. How you dress, how you keep your personal areas, how you keep your car, these are all reflections of you. If I saw Tibor walking around in that, I would think, "That is a really really weird costume. Therefore, that is a really really weird dude." Granted, this isn't always right but it's usually right.

I understand, I'm an asshole. I've tried to change, it can't happen. 

Edit: I had a strong reaction since I read so often on here how standing out so much isn't ideal, then comes an outfit like this and people say it's alright and it's an exception, that they're used to it so it's OK. That it's not a gimmick. 

I completely agree with your edit. People on this site comment on the minutest details-that suit isn't any good because its single vented, this shirt needs longer collar points, and so on. All of that is completely fair, and perffectly serves the purposes of having a forum to comment on people's clothes. Then along comes someone wearing an outfit that doesn't resemble anything anyone would consider as stylish for around seventy years. You note it looks like a costume, it doesn't look good, and out come the subjectivists. If he likes it then he likes it. Wear what you like. If you don't get it, its your problem. If these are the standards, there is no point in having this thread, other than as a sort of self indulgence. Look at me and love me no matter how I look.

I look at the comments about Don Cologne, and compare them to what people say about Tibor, and how they leap to Tibor's defense, and it makes me laugh. Some have commented that certain of Don's fits aren't suited to his body type, and I think that's fair enough. But let me note that, in addition to the general oddness of a completely outmoded style of dress, Tibor's fits seem to me to be completely unsuited to his body type. He is very slender with fine features and quite a young looking face. These are nice features. But they are not complemented by over-large lapels and a large hat. He swims in those clothes and they make him look younger. To me he looks a bit like a child playing dress up. I think the clothes Tibor wears would look a lot better on someone like Don, or Kai, with a larger build. I think Tibor would look infinitely better in more fitted and smaller scale clothes. These are just my opinions, of course, and they are worth very little. But I'm not going to be dissuaded from offering them by a selective and senseless view that everything everyone posts on here is subjective.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Not too hot for suit&tie today
smile.gif

In other news: new tie sample of my wife's "TIOCTIES" project & a new camera.

That is a knit I guess?

I really like the shade of blue + yellow dots. I WANT ONE.
tongue.gif

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kai would look BAWS in a gangster fit. need to get him one of those guitar cased machine guns. would be amazing.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score

It helps when you have music but I despise running. I'm not one to be positive. "****, only half way there? I have to do what I just did again? Seriously?" That said, I haven't hit that point where my body changes like crazy I don't think.. 26yo, 175lbs, 6'. Soon, I'm sure I'll have to work out to maintain. 

i was your size for years...slightly taller though...but trust me doode...as soon as you hit 29-30...those next 25 lbs come quick. Im back down to about 190, but still need to lose about 10-15 lbs.

FillW

Reaction score
Dude, I respect this line of thinking; let's be real, wearing that rig to a ballgame is OBVIOUSLY going to draw an extreme amount of attention. There is nothing wrong with dressing well, there is also something to be said for being aware of ones surroundings. Again, wear what you like and do you (as many of us do) but dont act like its totally normal to rock a 3p db with a retro fedora at a reds game.

T I personally love your style and think you look great.

The fans at San Diego are probably used to him coming to games dressed like that and also see him all the time around town. So it is probably normal for them.

Men used to dress nicely to games all the time.

I would but it's too hot and humid here in Md.
biggrin.gif

(besides it costs too much to go to games) lol

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
superb tie/suit combo right there.

FillW

Reaction score
Standing out might not be ideal for everyone, but it is for some. Try seeing things from different points of view, instead of relating everything to yourself and how you would look in those clothes.

Let me tell you a little story that shows the consequences and perks of not being afraid to stand out.

Last weekend I was dressed in a DB suit, club collar and a tie, and I was the only person at that particular venue wearing a suit, let alone a tie. But I didn't care, and was having a great time with my friends. At one point some random guy dressed in a t-shirt came up to me and told me to take off my tie.

Apparently he felt so threatened by my appearance that he wanted me to stoop to his sartorial level. His insecurity was very obvious (why would he have such a strong reaction to what another dude was wearing?), and I told him I'd take off my tie, if he'd take off his t-shirt, which had the intended affect, as he scurried off instantly. This shows you can only wear what you like if you truly don't care about what others might think.

Anyway, some time later a couple of insanely hot girls walked up to me, and asked me why I was dressed so smartly, to which I replied, "this? I'm dressed rather casually today". They stared in disbelief, but after a couple of jokes and some playful banter, the hottest of the bunch pulled me to the side, and told me she initially walked up to me, because, her exact words "you are my favorite guy in this club, not of afraid of standing out". Turns out that she was a rather successful model. Anyway, the rest is history
wink.gif

I've had similar experiences quite often since I started trying to dress better as well.
biggrin.gif

Not too hot for suit&tie today
smile.gif

In other news: new tie sample of my wife's "TIOCTIES" project & a new camera.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've probably got another year, maybe two of that. Enjoy it while it lasts.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i was your size for years...slightly taller though...but trust me doode...as soon as you hit 29-30...those next 25 lbs come quick. Im back down to about 190, but still need to lose about 10-15 lbs.

I don't understand your numbers :). I'm 42yo, 76kgs, 1.88m. Well, after today's run maybe 75,9kgs?

I really enjoyed it, btw.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People judge a book by it's cover. How you dress, how you keep your personal areas, how you keep your car, these are all reflections of you. If I saw Tibor walking around in that, I would think, "That is a really really weird costume. Therefore, that is a really really weird dude." Granted, this isn't always right but it's usually right.

I understand, I'm an asshole. I've tried to change, it can't happen. 

Edit: I had a strong reaction since I read so often on here how standing out so much isn't ideal, then comes an outfit like this and people say it's alright and it's an exception, that they're used to it so it's OK. That it's not a gimmick. 

I completely agree with your edit. People on this site comment on the minutest details-that suit isn't any good because its single vented, this shirt needs longer collar points, and so on. All of that is completely fair, and perffectly serves the purposes of having a forum to comment on people's clothes. Then along comes someone wearing an outfit that doesn't resemble anything anyone would consider as stylish for around seventy years. You note it looks like a costume, it doesn't look good, and out come the subjectivists. If he likes it then he likes it. Wear what you like. If you don't get it, its your problem. If these are the standards, there is no point in having this thread, other than as a sort of self indulgence. Look at me and love me no matter how I look.

I look at the comments about Don Cologne, and compare them to what people say about Tibor, and how they leap to Tibor's defense, and it makes me laugh. Some have commented that certain of Don's fits aren't suited to his body type, and I think that's fair enough. But let me note that, in addition to the general oddness of a completely outmoded style of dress, Tibor's fits seem to me to be completely unsuited to his body type. He is very slender with fine features and quite a young looking face. These are nice features. But they are not complemented by over-large lapels and a large hat. He swims in those clothes and they make him look younger. To me he looks a bit like a child playing dress up. I think the clothes Tibor wears would look a lot better on someone like Don, or Kai, with a larger build. I think Tibor would look infinitely better in more fitted and smaller scale clothes. These are just my opinions, of course, and they are worth very little. But I'm not going to be dissuaded from offering them by a selective and senseless view that everything everyone posts on here is subjective.

Useful feedback considers the objective of the wearer. Tibor's objective is well known round these parts, so he mostly gets suggestions on details to help him achieve his objective. It's not subjectivism. If he were trying to dress for success at a law firm, we would give him different advice.

gamecrowd1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads