1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kulata

kulata Senior member

Excellent value right there

2. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I wear houndstooth shirts rather frequently, as you can see here, here and here. Just try one, as you say.

3. Crat

Crat Senior member

Two crappy pics not showing much at all. Sorry,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  4. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Light wasn't good enough for a full picture.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  5. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Cheers, that's pretty large scale compared to Pingson's or EliodA's. Might work for a causal fit. I'll probably stick with smaller scale for my first attempt (some day).

6. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Looks like it will be nice weather today, but sadly leaving the city!
    Kiton medio blue jacket
    Tom ford white shirt
    Denim
    Varvatos tan suede shoes
    Goofy euphoric grin because NYC makes me happy

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  7. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Thanks, I have posted a few variations on this theme, either with this tie or a couple of others. But they can't be all like that, ya know??

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

MC is just as brand-conscious as SW&D, but the stylistic elements of many MC pieces are so generic that even knowledgeable people can't identify the brand on sight. It benefits the thread in that it gets everyone to look more at the "objective" qualities of the clothes before their brand biases get in the way. But there's no disputing that with similar fits composed of elements from opposite ends of the brand spectrum, the Kiton/G&G fit will garner more thumbs.

3 people like this.
  9. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Right on the money. I bet if a post a suit from Suitsupply with and without the deetz the one without deetz would get more thumbs. I might even have some examples from the past, but can't be bothered to dig them up.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  10. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

From tomorrow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mrs. Claghorn chose everything but the square.

30 people like this.
  11. eviltimeban

eviltimeban Senior member

Very good, but something I feel is that the yellow in the tie clashes with the white. That my HO of course, others may disagree. Its only to a very small degree, but it would be better if that stripe was white or light blue.

Pink tie and white shirt is always a winner though.

1 person likes this.
  12. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I dont know about that, at least as a general rule. I think CP and HF have both received more praise for their SS suits than for other more heralded brands, especially HF, who regularly wears bespoke Ede & Ravenscroft.

13. Crat

Crat Senior member

Quite true, Monkey and Butch.

On my native forum I actually posted a few fits with relatively nice items passing them on for H&M or Massimo Dutti. Later I would post the same items as what they are; it was fun to see the difference in reactions. Good way to catch the brandwhores but then you often know who they are anyway.

^
    Heralded posters don't count as they become their own 'brand'.
    "Ooooh NOBD posted this, that guy knows what he's doing. This must be good
    (He usually does)

I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. Foo is the best example of this imo.

2 people like this.
  14. Rudals

Rudals Senior member

Drool on the suit. I love it very much Clags.

As far as brands go, I have the impression that MC really doesn't care as much about brands. I never wowed anyone with my Isaia suit or Kiton/Brioni ties. The first time I got 10+ thumbs up was when I was wearing a $40 tie. MC looks more at fits and looks rather than on brands.

15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

well, they dont all have to be the same, but this general look without ties or PSs jumping out asking for attention, appeals to me much more.
    well, to be fair, a navy kiton suit will be cut much nicer and have nicer lapels or whatever than a navy *insert lower end brand* suit. same for the lasts on high end shoes vs others, they just look nicer. now, as to weather or not people may not love a fit, but give a like when they see the brands, that might very well be true, but so what. a person can "like" a brand.
    the time machine. where to kop? also, looks great. a very bright and cheery look.

1 person likes this.
  16. in stitches

MC cares very much about brands, but they also care very much that the fit looks good. SWD is the same. every part of this forum is the same about that.

most people like cool "brands", be the brand a large brand, a small brand, an AV, a certain tailor.... everyone loves certain "brands," and all the same, if the item is ugly or the fit is off, people will not like it.

17. notjustties

notjustties Active Member

Today is the first time for me to wear this SC and these trousers.

I chose a not too busy combination and hope you like it. As always, I'd appreciate any criticism to learn.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12 people like this.
  18. in stitches

top block and the shoes looks great.

if the chinos are dressy and the crispiest cotton ever i probably like them okay in the fit, but if they are anything but that i would feel they do not jive with the top half. a full fit would be nice.

all in all, good stuff.

1 person likes this.
  19. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I'm attending a bat mitzvah on Saturday, and that may entail a light tie too, so I'm not x-posting this as my entrant to the FC quite yet. If I do I may have to reshoot, because my PS decided to hide...imagine a white linen tv fold in my chest pocket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15 people like this.
  20. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I have no problem with stitchy and he's been immensely helpful to me here and via pm. I just thought he was being a hypocrite by contradicting everyone who said anything to the contrary of that fit being awesome, which he calls out everyone for doing.

As for my posts, I post regularly elsewhere (especially on the thrift thread where the bulk of my posts come from), so the number might look inflated to people who post only on one or two threads, but yeah... I post a bunch on SF.

Regarding your offer, while I do butt heads here and there I'm really not interested in starting fights because I have utmost respect for the posters here (stitchy included). I'll take your offer in the spirit it was intended and gladly accept.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.