• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not joking about anything. Reading through the entire thread will teach him more in a shorter time than spot corrections.

suitedcboy

Reaction score
If this was a restricted site with membership granted by approval after a questionnaire then there would be some chance for the virtual pub scenario.

There isn't a membership and this isn't a virtual pub.

There are lots of flavors of conservative business dress expressed here. conservative business dress has a definition that varies. I do not own a sport coat and probably never will. My business dress is suits and my casual is boots, jeans, and hat. Our away from work activities that we choose make casual wear have a much varied definition.
My choices would never work for many of you and your choices wouldn't work for me.

I think a great job of constructive criticism is done here most of the time. Some times the criticism is too swayed by your own taste of what you wear yourself. I will never comment on knit ties and madras coats. I would never let those touch my person, ever. I withhold comment as I know nothing or care for those things. There are times when the comments will be universally negative because the fit, color, and style is wrong from all perspectives unless you are dressing to be a clown.

Then there are times when egos get in the way. Forum version of road rage.

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket is unstructured linen blend. (hence the crumpling) I'm not sure how I feel about the width of the lapels, they may be too narrow given my body width… Feedback?

The pants are textured gray and blue. I was hesitant about the overall color combo.. Feedback?

Tie is knitted silk (Plum) from TheTieBar.com
Shirt is Brooks Brothers
Jacket is eBay'ed vintage Banana Republic
Pants unknown
Shoes are casual Florsheim
The jacket seems to fit you ok in the chest, but the shoulders look too wide by about 1/2 inch or so. The sleeve length on the jacket and shirt are at a good place. Aesthetically, I don't like the chest pocket of the jacket. I prefer a welted or patch pocket as opposed to the jetted chest pocket. I think the pants are too long. This is beyond a full break. I'd recommend shortening them by about 2 inches. I also prefer round toe shoes to square ones. On some of your previous photos, it appears that you were your pants rather low on your hips. I think it would look better if you wore them higher. A bit of the pant rise is visible beneath your jacket. I prefer jackets that cover the front rise of my pants.

Lastly, I really like the color combo you've chosen here.

Also, when you take your pictures try to position the camera at the height of your waist. It appears that you are taking photos at your chest height. At this height, the camera distorts the image and makes your top half look bigger than it actually is. Best.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I'm not joking about anything. Reading through the entire thread will teach him more in a shorter time than spot corrections.

I think you're assuming too much about how people learn and how much time they're willing to invest. There are thousands of pages in this thread, and it's hit or miss on any given page. We have gone days without either a good fit or constructive criticism. His posting in search of feedback is well within the purpose of this thread, and specific critiques of what he owns and wears is likely to be much more efficient than trying to apply what others have been told about clothes he doesn't own on a body which doesn't look like his.

If you don't feel like giving that feedback, then just wait for someone else to do it. Or do what you did and get criticized for piling on the noob.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dude is new, asked for feedback and never claimed to be the **** of style...

You see SouthernStyle's response?

Again... It is just a hunch

Telling somebody to do their research is sound advice.

Yes, it is good advice. And brutally truthful.

Reminds me of the time I walked up to the woman of my dreams and provided excruciating detail of what I planned to do with/to her that evening.

It's all about approach.

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score

Reminds me of the time I walked up to the woman of my dreams and provided excruciating detail of what I planned to do with/to her that evening.

It's all about approach.

....Are you serious? You should at provide us with some details

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that the jacket works with the rest of the outfit. It seems like a casual piece more suited to jeans and a polo shirt. As a sport coat, it just drags down the rest of your ensemble. Your pants are too long, but that's an easy fix. (Lots of my pants are too long too, but I'm slowly but surely getting them all altered to fit better.) The shirt and tie are nice. Shoes appear well cared for. Make some adjustments to the pant length, get a dressier sport coat, and things will be better.
Jacket is unstructured linen blend. (hence the crumpling) I'm not sure how I feel about the width of the lapels, they may be too narrow given my body width… Feedback? The pants are textured gray and blue. I was hesitant about the overall color combo.. Feedback?
LL
Tie is knitted silk (Plum) from TheTieBar.com Shirt is Brooks Brothers Jacket is eBay'ed vintage Banana Republic Pants unknown Shoes are casual Florsheim

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

It's not that simple.  Doyleclark is fairly new around here.  If someone were new to a pub, I hope EMartNJ's comment would not be the first thing out of your mouth when talking to them.  It takes time to build to a point where you know someone is just joking.  Unless they have history, I'd say it was too early.  Secondly, I tend to surround myself with friendly people.  Even if they didn't like something I was wearing, they would only say so politely.  It's nice to be nice.  

Yeah but you've missed the point I was trying to make. IF we accept the former scenario that we are a bunch of mates in a virtual pub, then Doyle being fairly new is irrelevant as he, along with EVERYONE else, is an equal part of a group of like minded mates with a generally established set of mores and traditions. When I go home to visit I would think there's something wrong if when I walk Into my local someone doesn't have something sarcy to say - its an inverted sign of affection and equal acceptance that no one, not even a returning exile, is immune from piss taking criticism and good natured ribbing.

Of course a strong case can be made that this forum is nothing like that and so we should all adopt a more cautious and polite approach, especially with virtual noobs, so as to not be misinterpreted as being mean spirited, impolite and ungentlemanly. Kai has provided a polite but useful example of this approach.

Despite all this, I still believe that tough love has its place here too, and anyone daring to post pics on the Internet should make sure their skin is thick enough to not get themselves butt hurt if some misplaced tough love comes their way.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Alright, yesterday's fit involved a poor choice in tie (thanks JB, HF). I wasn't sure; something felt off, but I figured it was because I was wearing an orphaned suit jacket. I wanted if it could see if it was workable since it had a broad pattern and patch pockets.

Anyway, today:

Last edited:

suitedcboy

Reaction score

Alright, yesterday's fit involved a poor choice in tie (thanks JB, HF). I wasn't sure; something felt off, but I figured it was because I was wearing an orphaned suit jacket. I wanted if it could see if it was workable since it has a broad pattern and patch pockets. Anyway, today:
Home run!

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all about approach.

....Are you serious? You should at provide us with some details

for real! did it work? :lurk:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does something give you the impression that it isn't?
The fact that I remember you saying POW odd jackets aren't that bad (or maybe it wasn't you)
tounge.gif

But it's also grey and suitish, so I think I made a dumb question indeed
shog[1].gif

Johnboy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Alright, yesterday's fit involved a poor choice in tie (thanks JB, HF). I wasn't sure; something felt off, but I figured it was because I was wearing an orphaned suit jacket. I wanted if it could see if it was workable since it had a broad pattern and patch pockets.

Anyway, today:

This is an excellent outfit today clags. I like it a lot. Beautiful colour co-ordindation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads