1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

pliny, thanks.

this thread presently makes me want to scream. and not in a good way. :(

6 people like this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Spring is almost here folks. Time to stop going stir crazy.

3. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I was in London going out at night to a party/social gathering of sort, not sure if that's that kind of situation you mean.

Haha the chain was for my keys I swear I have no pocket watch or monocle, but it does look a bit steampunk I suppose. I just hate rummaging for my keys at night.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Couple easy fixes for this Robs- first, u could change the buttons on the SC to make it look a little less like an orphaned suit jacket;

2nd, if u really want to keep the tie a double FIH knot might deal with the excess back length, but better would be to ditch the tie and avoid the schizo formal top-half, casual bottom look.

Nice shirt, and pic [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

Ah. Yes.

1 person likes this.
  6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

That's how Four-in-Hand knots are supposed to be tied. They aren't supposed to be straight and symmetrical. Really, if that's what you thought was wrong, you really have no place making any critique.

I'm not sure why you're going on about Guy Pearce or the 1890s - or selvedge denim as if you discovered it or even as if I had said anything about it - or why you think I said you had the worst taste on the forum (I didn't), but then your entire post was a spectacularly bizarre rant which I'll just ignore because you simply seem to have a problem with both comprehension and self-control.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
  7. JLopez

JLopez Well-Known Member

Brilliant Gianni, love the jacket!!!!:colgate:

2 people like this.
  8. Robs89

Robs89 Senior member

Dear Pliny,

Thanks for your comments but I'm aware of how the outfit was put together. The jacket has the original mother of pearl buttons and the sport coat itself is an odd jacket from ISAIA AW12 collection so I can't see in any way that that it could look like an orphaned suit jacket. The ties knot and length is chosen to be a bit sprezzatura this day so that explains the length, I like it but some doesn't and you seems do be one of them. The pants are a pair of cord pants from Lubiam and are also causal and I think they fit very well with the jacket that's also a quite casual with it's shorter length and patch pockets. That's my story about the oufit, hope it explains how I thought when I put it together.

1 person likes this.
  9. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Molto bene!

1 person likes this.
  10. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well, take it or leave it. If this is how you respond to good hearted criticism then fine, be on everyone's ignore list until one of the forum mods ban you.

I'm open to people giving their opinions on my pics, it's kind of what this thread is all about. Yes, sometimes there might even be people giving you completely non-constructive critique, like saying your fits would not be better at 2am in a bar restroom. If you can't take things like that without starting a vendetta with the entire forum you should move on (as several people have suggested that you should do).

6 people like this.
  11. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

EFV, if I recall, you recently posted one of the more successful tie + jeans fit. I know 38R goes for that sort of thing.

38R, the comment about your collar and knot were not made by me--that's what I meant by you being mistaken. I hadn't seen the fit being referenced until you tagged me in a post. I'm not one to get worked up about collars, but I agree that your knot could have been better tied, especially if it's a half-windsor, which is supposed to be neat and centered. A properly tied 4IH is supposed to be a bit askew. I alternate between both, generally based on which knot the tie is most suited for. That tie actually makes a handsome HW, but since it was for the Italian CBD challenge, I went with what the Italians seem to prefer.

On collars with less spread, half windsors give the impression of a perfectly symmetrical knot. The second is another FIH, which isn't as nicely tied as the other you posted, in part due to chance an in part it's an inferior tie (Suit Supply, which isn't bad for the money).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, for all of our collective good, please never engage Foo in a conversation. I have imagined infinity, and it leaves me cold.

4 people like this.
  12. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

VERY NICE TIES

13. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Thank you very much for your kind words, really. Yes, the jacket is truly unique. He has made my tailor Mimmo Pirozzi. And do you think that jacket is not perfect because it has already two years. In fact I brought her ironing while then I tried the other.

14. JLopez

JLopez Well-Known Member

One of the best jacket I have seen so far in this forum, I would like to see a whole picture of the jacket.

Congratulations!!

15. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Why the reference? look at your fit. do it. now. and i have been wearing Denims longer than you have been an annoying know-it all.

the rest? why stoop down to your level?.....

16. southernstyle

southernstyle Senior member

Awesome, I look forward too it. Glad to know there are some sartorially inclined folks in Chapel Hill!

Thanks, you shall be seeing much more of me around these parts.

1 person likes this.
  17. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Donning a new Maize 'n Blue tie, courtesy of SF member, @BooksandTweed.

Beat the Spartans! This season, my Wolverines have beaten MSU twice. Can we do it a third time? #very nervous

Shamelessy, at the end of the final hymn at church, this morning, I inserted the first four measures of “The Victors” into the bass line.

7 people like this.
  18. notjustties

notjustties Active Member

I've been posting on tumblr and the German styleforum, but I'd love to get some more inspirations and knowledge out of you guys. So here are a couple recent fits (unfortunately, it's the same suit).

Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated.

I have already ordered a new camera, so until it arrives I can only post cellphone pictures.

Apologies, if I have missed any posting guidelines. I need to get used to posting on SF.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 people like this.
  19. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

This thread, at the moment (last 24 hours or so) hasn't been too focused on clothing unfortunately. Might I suggest the following for inspiration?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/381083/waywrn-composite-20-thumb-minimum/0_20

With regards to your fits:

The first is not something I'd repeat. The tie and shirt stripes are way too close in scale, so it appears super busy. Ideally you want the shirts stripes and the size of the tie's pattern to be very different in size. This the lack of color contrast in the tie and shirt.

I like the second.

5 people like this.
  20. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wearing my tweed while there's weather for it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.