1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. upr_crust

upr_crust Senior member

The humorous content of my comments has indeed long run its course, but I periodically post the Theory of Darlene to remind people that you, as someone who has never posted a photo of any your fits, but sees no reason why he should not make whatever pronouncements he cares to on other people's photo postings, that you essentially have no skin in the game. When others find your comments offensive, you retort that it's only comments on the Internet, and one can't take it seriously. Well, it would appear that my tired joke, although only words on the Internet, has annoyed you - a useful reminder to you that words on the Internet can indeed be annoying, and that perhaps those who hide behind the anonymity of verbal posts alone should remember that words on the Internet can indeed have an effect on the person to whom they are directed.

15 people like this.
  2. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

For the past couple of days, I've been on the road. On Friday, in celebration of Michigan's squeaker win over Illinois, I wore Maize 'n Blue silk knots.

[​IMG]

And, bow-tie Saturday:

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  3. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

To those that post weekend fits and such, what do you guys wear out if you're going to be doing a substantial amount of walking? I own a few pairs of sneakers, but all I can think of re: walking is boat shoes and vibram soled penny loafers.

Gunboats and such or shoes with danite slash rubber soles? I've seen some people post boots on the weekend too. Just curious what you lot favor for shoes that go with your modes of dress but also lend themselves to a bit of walking and such.

1 person likes this.
  4. Robs89

Robs89 Senior member

Jacket - ISAIA Napoli, Shirt - Pelote MTM, Pants - Lubiam, Tie - Viola Milano, Pocket Square - Christian Kimber, Watch - Rolex Submariner, Shoes - Meermin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    24 people like this.
  5. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

My ancient Ariat Cobalt Pro paddock boots. Most comfortable footwear I’ve ever owned. I bitterly regret not having taken better care of them, since they don’t make them any more.

Edit (for context and clarity, and a somewhat better photo): When I'm doing 'a substantial amount of walking' it is typically not on urban sidewalks and not when wearing a tie. Pasture or woods more likely, with a button-down collar oxford shirt and odd sport coat. However, a cleaned and polished pair of paddock/chelsea boots (which the one in the photo is obviously not) can certainly go quite nicely with odd jacket/trouser/tie combinations even in an urban environment in my opinion. Others might find them too countrified in that context, I expect.

Cheers,

Ac

[​IMG]

7. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I'm sure you're preaching to the choir with this, but i find it hilarious, not annoying at all, that you (and a few others) presuppose that when I get into these kind of debates I'm annoyed / angry / bitter. Nothing could be further from the truth. It's pictures. Of clothes. On the Internet. Funny how come no one questions my credibility to comment when I'm lashing out compliments, (much more common for me than otherwise) only when it's something critical. So whenever you regale us with your adventures in the world of art galleries, should we accept your critique at face value, or should we demand to see examples of your finger painting skills before we give any credence to your comments?

I just knew you weren't going to be able to leave this alone. Jesus Christ, that must be some stratospheric level of 'butt hurt' you must have reached to be still banging on with your pathetic personal vendetta against me, all for some mildly critical comment I made ... How many years ago? Just let it go, man.

While I maintain my position of not getting personally offended by messages on this board, I'm not surprised to read your opposing view, its clear you're a sensitive soul. Lets not forget you always used to end your daily post with 'have at it gents' but I noticed not long after the exchange in question you stopped doing this. Should we take it then that you really don't post here to invite any kind of criticism at all, and only do so to get 'thumbs' and compliments to make your day? You should just say so, and we can respond to you every day how maaaahvellous you look, then perhaps you'll stop accusing me of being a woman and I can one day get out of therapy, get off the medication and maybe even sleep at night once I can be sure that the long nightmare of being insulted by a stranger on the Internet is finally over for me. I can but hope.

I still remember you self destructing on here and accusing Vox of being homophobic, but the best was when you flounced off the board in a fit of pique at some perceived sleight, back to Ask Andy whence you came, (didn't you come to this board for the same reason? you really must have thin skin!) saluting us with some uproarious comment about leaving us to our 'cess pool of psycho - sexual ... ' whatever. Now THAT was really funny. You should try that again some time if you really want to make us laugh. Meanwhile like everything else on the Internet, if you don't like my comments just ignore them. I'll get over it, I hope one day you will. Good luck with that. I should really follow my own advice and not bother commenting on anything else you have to write about this, even though I suspect you won't be able to resist the temptation to try and score some more points and really put me in my place. It's been done to death already and I'm sure the vast majority looking in on this thread would prefer to see pictures rather than this pathetic bickering. Let it go man.

1 person likes this.
  8. ImTheGroom

ImTheGroom Senior member

We need another ICBD challenge to bring up the level of discussion again. It's been over mere hours, and here we go again...

9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

This is an interesting question and I've been pondering the same. Before getting sucked down the rabbit hole of SF I clomped all around Paris and London in a pair of three holer Doc Marten shoes, which fitted the bill from a utilitarian standpoint but hardly from a stylistic one. Like your respondent I've been contemplating the holy grail pair of rubber soled Chelsea boots but those I've seen so far are either outrageously expensive or else no less clumpy than the DMs. I await further suggestions while I continue on the quest!

10. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Rubber-soled brogues.

11. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

Friends wedding - I wore this to church this morning. My first real post here actually. Took these with the iPhone - I don't know how to spoiler the pics so I'm sorry about that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  12. MGD83

MGD83 Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  13. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

Looks great MGD83. I am sure your friends appreciate you taking the effort for their wedding.

1 person likes this.
  14. ridethecliche

Crepe soled chukkas sound interesting, but I'm not sure how big a fan I am of crepe soles. I also have back issues, so I'm not sure if they're the best soles. I might try a pair of clarks since they'll go with some of my less formal work outfits as well in the fall. Interesting tip!
    I have a pair of timberland boots for the hiking stuff, but I wouldn't consider those dressy at all.

Those look amazing. Actually, I traded a few pairs of shoes that I don't wear for a pair of okay-ish (donald pliner) brown chelsea boots. When the soles on those wear out, I might have them replaced with vibram soles or such so I can just romp around town with them and still be able to wear them to work from time to time. The leather on them is okay and I wouldn't mind beating up on them and given that the soles are rumored to split it might be a good idea to have them resoled like this.
    Yeah. I know the feeling. I think I might try having a pair of leather soled chelseas resoled since it'll be much cheaper. I'm interested to see how it turns out.

Hmmmm. intriguing.

15. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

I would encourage anyone reading this who's shopping around for something like you describe to at least check out the real equestrian version (which the Ariats are, of course). The good ones are constructed to absorb the stresses of riding, which is why they're so comfortable, and the soles are made to cope with the wear and tear of the stirrups, and provide grip in a situation where there's more at stake than when you're just walking. People might decide against them, which is fine, but it's always worth considering new options, I think.

Cheers,

Ac

16. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Indeed! So can you please stop your bickering? Thank you.

17. ridethecliche

You're referring to roper style pull ons?

18. AdamWill

AdamWill Senior member

Quote: I'm vegetarian, so my shoe choice is limited, and I wasn't sure about the pair I wear a lot when I bought them (they're a chestnut-ish brown pair from Brave Gentleman, no longer shown on the site), but I've found them really versatile since I picked them up. Shot side-on the soles look pretty obnoxious, but when you're actually wearing the shoes, they're much less obvious. I don't drive so I do quite a lot of walking around (mainly in the city) and I've found myself wearing them pretty much any time I'm wearing something more-than-sneakerworthy but not quite dress-oxfordworthy (or just foresee more walking than is comfortably feasible in hard soled oxfords).

19. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

No. Those are western. I'm referring to the pull-on English-style paddock boots of which those in my photo are an example.

Cheers,

Ac

20. ridethecliche

Gotcha.
    Danke!

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.