1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

This is a discussion that pops up once in a while here. My view is that SF has a groupthink that sometimes can result in tunnel vision when it comes to certain items (navy trousers for example), but on a whole this community is very open minded and encourages a wide variety of styles. There is plenty of room for individuality.

Having said that, it's not a bad thing to have this discussion every so often, lest we start taking ourselves too seriously.

4 people like this.
  2. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Really? When I first joined the site, I could nearly always tell which fits were going to be popular without seeing the forum response first. (Whether I could put any such fits together, however, is another matter...)

3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

IIRC, Tira actually did show up here dressing like Tira. Some didn't like it, but most recognized his style immediately.

6 people like this.
  4. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

RTC, remember, the six months you've been on the forum have mostly been the colder months in the northern hemisphere, and that brings more use of greys, earth tones, and generally muted fits. I think you'll see more color in the spring and summer. Browse through the peacock thread for your fix of colorful inspiration.

There is certainly a set of norms within parts of SF, as there is in all social groups, and there is also a greater acceptance for straying outside those norms if you have already demonstrated your ability to work within them (the maxim: you need to know the rules before you break them), but for the most part SF guidance steers people towards coherence rather than a uniform, I believe. Coherence within the spectrums of city-country; formal-informal; and seasons. Add to that the "rules" of pattern combinations (scale, variety, etc.).
    Abide by this and your fit will garner praise here.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

MF - but intrnt IS srs bsns.

SB - correct. even in SWD it was not instant appreciation.

1 person likes this.
  6. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Seajen, you're right. That probably has a lot to do with it. I'm honestly really looking forward to see how things are different then. I absolutely love color and am hopeful that I'll be able to improve my 'summer' wardrobe like I have done with my fall/winter wardrobe. I can't wait to break out the pastel chino's etc.

Re: Stitchy and SB.
    I'm looking at this from a social theory perspective of sorts. Once people are familiar or if they are respected here (i.e. affiliates) they are more likely to be accepted outright. I'm just curious to see how some of the well liked but 'out there' fits for some of the posters would be received if they were to be from a new source.

MF, I do agree about the groupthink. I do not think that it has been an issue for me personally, since I needed to learn the basics.
    (GUYS YOU WERE RIGHT NOW SHUT UP AND DONT SAY YOU TOLD ME SO!)

C'est tout.

7. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

You're spot on with this comment and its something that bugs me too.

Some people on here establish themselves and get a following of groupies which makes them largely untouchable.

One member once grew a ridiculous unkempt straggly beard and nary a word was said. When he shaved it off there were all these comments like, 'looks much better' etc. but no-one dared to call him out on it when it was there.

I always say that while SF can provide a wealth of informed knowledge and educated opinion to guide the way towards looking better, be careful of dressing for the members. I'm sure there are people who get great compliments on a regular basis from their dozen groupies on the board and step out thinking they must look the dog's bollocks, when in the real world most everyone else is laughing their arses off at them.

8. in stitches

AS still gets shit, and sometimes deservedly so. We all make our blunders.

Tira and LK got theirs.

As well, some people still dont like that stuff, but they realize that is that persons style so they leave well enough alone, while if it were a n00b, they would try and prod them on what they feel is a better path.

They all developed over time.

AVs are not universally liked.

Basically, again, look good and you'll get praise, don't, and you'll get shit.

5 people like this.
  9. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

This part is particularly true and probably explains a lot - when someone relentlessly posts their particular style which is objectively bad, the board as a whole gives up on criticizing after a while and that look becomes enfolded as part of the SF universe no matter how much it may be derided by all but the member in question, who may be emboldened by the odd compliment.

1 person likes this.
  10. zeBanker

zeBanker Senior member

looks great! is this a black tie? And in case: where did you get it? :D

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

11. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoying a brief respite from the ravages of winter.
    Brooks Bros, J Press, Epaulet, Allen Edmonds

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    9 people like this.
  12. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

My 2 cents- without getting into the whole 'objective vs subjective aesthetics debate, the style canon here goes way beyond 'SF approved' or what a few vocal posters think.
    There's a two century plus tradition in MC with its own slowly developed set of rules, and those rules form our judgments more than groupthink . By those rules some of the fits here are egregiously bad, some good. Some of the posters know the rules better than others.

When I started posting here I thght I had my own individual style (Lord forgive me) but I see now that I didn't much understand that tradition.

3 people like this.
  13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Walmart bathroom selfie. Pure. Class.

[​IMG]
    BB, Luxire, Hober, Yount, Carmina.

9 people like this.
  14. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Regarding the recent "SF approved" style discussion:

I don't think any of the more knowledgeable dressers here, of whom there are far too many to name, would ever claim that "classic style" is limited to so-called "SF approved" style (and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that that description was first used ironically), even granting, as I do, that "SF approved" denotes a rather broad range of possibilities rather than a single look. Rather, they, and I, would say that SF style is a large but proper subset of classic style. Speaking for myself, I would add that it's a deeply coherent and very attractive subset and eminently worth taking seriously. It's important. I've learned an immense amount since I started reading the forum.

The only danger to an absolute newbie would be if SF were their only source of information about classic style. But that's not a unique fact about SF, much less a shortcoming: it's a fact about life. Supplement the information here with a couple of good books which will place the snapshot of current practice provided by SF in broader historical, national, and generational contexts, and a man will get a terrific foundation in the art of dressing and its evolution.

Cheers,

Ac

4 people like this.
  15. in stitches

thanks, zeB. yes it is black. its an old panta that i picked up on B&S.

best dressed guy in the whole store, no doubt.

1 person likes this.
  16. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

17. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Something like this, perhaps?

Cheers,

Ac

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  18. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Autumn in Melbourne. Not cold yet, but a little wet and blustery.

Back blade of the tie is of course a little too long. Maybe need to use a double FIH next time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Jacket Canali cashmere/linen/silk
    Shirt - Ascot Chang
    Tie, PS - Henry Carter
    Trousers - Canali linen
    Belt - Uniqlo
    Boots - Carmina MTO

14 people like this.
  19. An Acute Style

An Acute Style Senior member

Last lecture on Hyperbolic Geometry. Supreme let down. I thought we were going to come to some more interesting conclusions. Anyway. Happy Pi Week!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27 people like this.
  20. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Well, perhaps we mean different things by ‘classic’; I think there’s probably less agreement on the meaning of the term than most of us realize. (And perhaps less agreement on ‘approved’, too, which is of course a matter of degree).

I use the term in more or less the sense that Flusser, Roetzel, and others use it, which is to say I’m talking about a lineage of menswear which has its most important ancestry in England beginning in the final decades of the 19th century with intersecting military and equestrian stylistic influences, a city-country distinction which reflected the lifestyle of the British aristocracy which both lived in the city and owned country estates, was added to by American film stars in the 20s and 30s, and by northeastern American academics from that period through the 1950s, and over the whole period came to include the softer, more Italianate continental style as style options. So over the 130 or so years that we’re talking about, there are many generational and national variants, most of which can be seen in one or another way in current menswear, but not all are common on SF.

Anyway, I apologize if I’ve taken this too far off-topic. It could be a very interesting discussion, but not for this thread.

Cheers,

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.