1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

that pretty cool, TTO. wish we could see a full fit pic of that in good lighting.

2. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

This thread isn't really for these kind of questions. I wouldn't wear a club collar to an interview, but if that's all you got you'll be fine. Try to tie the tie with a dimple. It also looks a bit wrinkly, hang it out over night to get rid if the wrinkles. Do you have a jacket to go over the shirt?

Anyway, it largely depends on what kind of environment we're talking about here. If it's for a finance/law/business interview you're underdressed, if it's a more informal environment you'll most likely be fine.

3. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

This is an expert at it and it's a bit fast to follow, but you'll see the desired end result. You can google 'tie knot four in hand', there you'll see how to on paper.
    http://vimeopro.com/thearmoury/tie-tying/video/50828730

Wish you had a tie without geometric pattern (could be distracting and therefore uncomfortable for your interviewer), any burgundy, brown, navy plain would be good.

Last not least, break a leg!

4. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank you! It's a Barbour Durham.

Edit: Or were you referring to my dog's waxed jacket?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  5. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

Trying out a new (too me) tie.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  6. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

I think I prefer a tie like this with something like an olive or brown Tweed SC and cream/tan cords or moleskins. As is, the navy jacket feels a bit too "city" for the tie, imo. That said, the jacket does look fairly nappy like a flannel, depending on the pants it may be working for you. YMMV.

1 person likes this.
  7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

[​IMG]

Sorry for the lack of a full-length. Feedback is welcome.

Navy blazer with patch pockets and gold buttons, charcoal flannel trousers, dark brown AE Strands.

10 people like this.
  8. pwhinson

pwhinson Well-Known Member

Agreed but I would pitch the white shirt as well unless its a gray tweed. I always associate white and formal but there are exceptions. In this case its clearly not what you're going for.

If going with a brown tweed jacket: different shirt, maybe different bow.

Having said that, I'm on training wheels here myself.

9. kulata

kulata Senior member

Today's fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  10. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

That collar needs moar roll! The PS doesn't really work with the relatively formal PoW tie imho. Something a bit more subdued and subtle might work better.

11. conradwu

conradwu Senior member Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Yesterday @ The Armoury

Pictured: New Ring Jacket in tobacco brown + my navy knit tie
    Not pictured: How hungover I look

12 people like this.
  12. luv2breformed

Given I can't see the bottom half, I'm taking a bit of a shot in the dark, but here goes. I think charcoal flannels are too much dark on the bottom given the dark shoes and jacket. You've got a light shirt and medium light tie but nothing on the bottom connects to it. I think I would prefer to see mid gray flannels or even something in the mid to light tan family on the bottom. This would provide better contrast with the jacket in addition to connecting with the tie in intensity to provide an overall more coherent fit. I quite like the top block, maybe more collar roll but w/e.

It's also very possible I am full of it especially since I am guessing at the bottom. YMMV.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thanks. I think, going forward, I'm in a phase where I'm going for the nuclear option on collar roll: spread collars when I'm in a tie. But I'm not buying anything for a while.

The tie is formal, but it's in burgundy and tan. The tan is the same as that of the square, but the burgundy in the tie is darker. I actually think I should have gone less subdued, and worn plain white linen.

Thank you. The great advantage to having a small wardrobe is that I've worn these trousers with this jacket before. Same shoes, too, but I wore navy sox this time around:

[​IMG]

It's basically tonal and texture contrast, which SF doesn't love as much as it loves big shade differences, but this was for an evening event where most people were in suits.

I like the look of a light tie with a dark suit, and I figured the same principles at play there (dark jacket and trousers, light shirt and tie) were worth a shot. I admit, I need some lighter gray trousers. They're on the agenda for next fall.

14. luv2breformed

I think if you wanted to stay that formal I too would have gone plain white linen but also opted for a spread collar rather than a BD. My first attempt was an attempt to reduce the formality. Given that wasn't the desire, I'd like to bring the square and shirt up to the same level as the rest for a nice clean look. The contrast pic looks pretty good. I generally prefer a greater contrast, but I dress pretty casually most often.

Edit: I am fully aware my preference for a spread collar here is purely personal, as BD collars have traditionally been worn even with suits in America.

15. JHT652

JHT652 Senior member

The navy jacket has patch pockets and is quite nappy so fairly casual. I did try it with a brown tweed first but was undecided. Thanks for the feedback, always appreciated :)

[​IMG]

16. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Just because the colours of your hanky and tie match doesn't mean it works. A white linen square is what I meant with subtle and subdued. It's certainly more subtle than a colourful paisley.

17. Gianni Cerutti

Gianni Cerutti Senior member

Beautiful colors together ... always highly sought after and with a nice personality. Beautiful behind the martingale and beautiful bellows pockets.

18. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

But a white linen square is a bold thing to wear. It's a more conservative choice, it's true, but it doesn't fade out in the slightest. It's a graphic element. But yes, it would have been a better choice here.

I do think the issue is that I found something that picks up on the colors the tie's pattern is made from, rather than the color it resolves to.

Luv2be, a spread would probably have been a safer choice here, but I was in the mood for a BD.

19. Monkeyface

Monkeyface Senior member

Fair enough. It might be worth looking into a cream linen square. I always wear mine when white would be a bit too much.

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Dat ring jacket tho. Vurr nice, Conrad.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.