• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernstyle

Reaction score
Pretty standard wet Monday

Kid Nickels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

southernstyle

Reaction score
Wet as in a monsoon of rain, I'm going to trade in my car for a boat soon.

Sugar - My britches must have slid down a little while running around. Usually the buckle doesn't show, forgive my sin.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SS, how about some suspenders. Since they will hide under your waistcoat, they could even be clip-on if your trousers don't have buttons.

twistoffat

Reaction score

How to walk with a stick: This is the right position It will give your stick a better swing and balance
You are making this up right. Considering the stick or cane was a follow on from the sword and in many cases contained on to later being a faithful companion when one had gout, I find this very hard to believe. Many canes have Pistol grips. Sorry Hal I just find that strange.

Drudged

Reaction score
Here's one from a few days ago (I'm on the right) - please excuse the askew vest and shirt collar, I had just put my jacket back on to take the picture.

Albert Hal

Reaction score
Twistoffat, you may be right historicly, but if you make emperic studies and walk with the stick like a real gentleman you´ll find that the "swing" is better if you hold the handle the "wrong" way. Try to walk with an umbrella. It works even better.

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score

Twistoffat, you may be right historicly, but if you make emperic studies and walk with the stick like a real gentleman you´ll find that the "swing" is better if you hold the handle the "wrong" way. Try to walk with an umbrella. It works even better.

Hal , my father and his friends are real gentlemen and none of them walk or walked like that. They had canes as walking aids and not as fashion items. I myself had one with a folding seat as a handle but its ergonomics were different from yours. That said try walking like that on a busy street and see how long it takes to spear someone. Sorry Hal, I understand what you mean by it being comfortable to carry that way but a waking stick is that, a walking stick and not a carrying stick.

AgeofTheGeek

Reaction score
shoes seem a little out of place...maybe its just me, but with the entire suit being and style being unanimously blue, the shoes are a little loud/random...for me at least
Here's one from a few days ago (I'm on the right) - please excuse the askew vest and shirt collar, I had just put my jacket back on to take the picture.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Just curious what do you gents wear to the office in the hot and humid summer days? I was drenched in sweat today when I walked to work here in Norther Michigan. I was so embarrassed when I arrived work today, my colleagues thought I was victimized by the sprinklers
shog[1].gif
I figure most of you drive to work with AC in your cars; I only walk because I live about 10 minutes away from my place of work.

I work in an extremely hot and humid climate, and wear a variety of things. My "daily beaters", if you will, are linen suits that I wear as two or three piece according to my mood and the occasion. But sometimes it's a wool suit, my shirts are cotton of varying weight, and my socks are always worn and always over the calf - cotton or wool.

To a point, as I think Stitchy said, we move from air-conditioned houses to air-conditioned cars to air-conditioned places of work, but there's always a gap somewhere in between: either having to be outside waiting for something, taking a short walk, or in your case walking to work.

So the answer is this: sometimes you get hot, and it's unavoidable, however wonderfully summery your office attire. But let me share one word with you that is the solution to all heat problems: U-n-d-e-r-s-h-i-r-t. Yes, it's an extra layer of clothing, and yes, you will still feel hot. But a close-fitting cotton undershirt with T-shirt sleeves is your best friend in warm weather, because you will never get that crumpled sweaty look on your shirt, and can even take off your jacket now and then without fear of what the world might see under your arms. So yeah, undershirt. And a stick deodorant. And if you're hairy, trim your armpit hair too, so your deodorant actually arrives where it's needed.

Today it's about 100F and 75% humidity. But nobody will see me looking sweaty, even if I have to take a little walk. Being hot is unavoidable, but that's the secret to still appearing cool.

Here's one from a few days ago
shoes seem a little out of place...maybe its just me, but with the entire suit being and style being unanimously blue, the shoes are a little loud/random...for me at least

Your trousers are short and narrow, and your shoes are elongated (to the point where I wonder whether you shouldn't have a smaller size in a wider fitting - very common to see shoes too long these days it seems. Maybe that's making them look more prominent to ATG above. But in principle, I see nothing wrong with that colour contrast; it's modern, slightly casual, but I think very pleasing.

Two bigger issues though: one is that wearing a suit without a tie is BAD. A sports jacket, yes. A tie, no. Forget GQ and "The Mentalist", it makes you look half dressed. Wearing a nice, say, burgundy tie with that suit would balance out your shoes and make you look sharp as a razor. You already have a pocket square. Basically you are incomplete, and I think that again is making the shoes look oddly prominent, as ATG said.

And the second issue is, I think, the jacket fit. More brilliant observers than me will doubtless set me straight here, but it looks like your jacket buttons very high for a two button. This is making it look rather out of shape, and also contributing to that wrinkle under your chest. Maybe you just need to tug it down a little in the picture, but I do think the button stance could be an inch lower nevertheless.

Last edited:

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At home in my library after coming home from an afternoon tea at my club recently.

Suit: Amy Yang MTM.
Shirt: Tailorstore MTM.
Socks: Pantherella.
Shoes: Shanghai Tianzi MTM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads