1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr.K, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CousinDonuts

CousinDonuts Senior member

Grey on grey to match the looming sky. Have a good weekend everyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
    11 people like this.
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

thanks, B and Pingson.

Yeah, the tie is a bit matchy to the bottom, but i wanted an all brown fit, and i like matchy. for example, i think your tie and PS are matchy, and i like it! :)

2 people like this.
  3. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

This is the second time I have heard this criticism of Stichy matching his tie to his shoes, and I don't get it. Sometimes I like reducing the number of new colors in a fit, and as long as the typical faux-pas are not matching then I see nothing wrong with it and in fact think it looks sharp.

2 people like this.
  4. luv2breformed

luv2breformed Senior member

Looking good as always, sir. Also, I think I am adding dark brown split toe bluchers to my short list.

5. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

I said i was nitpicking :D. I have all kinds of sympathies for limiting the colour palette, but sometimes it just looks too well thought out. Not that 99.99% of all people would ever care, but we're on SF just because we are the 0.01% :nodding: I think what made me comment (which I wasn't even about to do at first) is that the shade of brown is almost the exact same between tie and trousers, just a tad bit different shades of brown and I wouldn't even think about it. But it certainly is a sharp look, and I must say that brown is a colour that suits your complexion very well Stich!
    Many thanks, I am think of adding another pair in suede as well. A very versatile shoe I must say....

2 people like this.
  6. in stitches

well, it was thought out. i cant deny that. :D

its a fair nit, but i dont think its bad per say, just more a matter of personal preference. not sure this matters, and im not trying to make you change your mind, but the silk grenadine tie certainly has more sheen than the muted flannel pants and is not quite the same shade irl, though they certainly are close.

either way, thanks for the feedback and compliments, and i agree, brown is a good look for this mountain man.

do it. one can never have too much suede.

1 person likes this.
  7. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

@ IS's fit

Navy neat would be an obvious choice but would a forest green tie work here as well?

8. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Worth highlighting; really nice colours here. Would love a pattern of some sort on that tie in this context though!

Matching tie too closely to shoes is kind of wonky for exactly the same reason as matching tie to square: it causes your eyes to jump sharply from tie to shoes and back again like a ball stuck between two bouncers on a pinball table.

The exception is a genuinely monochrome look where sharp contrasts tend to be the name of the game; because you have more than one such "pair" of matches in the look, the eye jumps around cleanly between all of them. But in this context, the number of colours is VERY stripped down.

This is controversial, but IMO I do actually believe that this bit of personal aesthetic preference has some biological/physiological substrate to back it up. We tend to absorb a look through saccadic (sharp/fast/jerky) eye movements rather than smoothly moving from one point to another. Most of these tend to be concentrated around the nose/eyes/lips, but then they bounce around between points of interest in our visual environment. I reckon that two very matching items flag up as things to bounce around between more. I'm not so deeply immersed in the neurophys literature to know if that's been proven, but that's my theory anyway.

2 people like this.
  9. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

good lord.

1 person likes this.
  10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Really terrible lighting today... and apologies too for the hems caught on the shoes...

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  11. in stitches

i am very hesitant to use anything but solid ties with a SC as busy as this.

next time i will go with a solid navy vicuna tie and will use mid gray flannel pants.

regarding a forrest green, i think it works superbly. i did that last time. :)

only other difference being a slighlty lighter blue shirt and the addition of a white PS.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. DeSense

DeSense Senior member

Sorry, I had a solid navy in my head but typed the other (time to retire for the night). And I must have remembered that superb fit with FG subconsciously. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Pingson

Pingson Senior member

Never said it was bad ;)

The forest green ties is perfect here, and navy would also work well, I think. Vicuña? You dog!

Interesting take on this from HF, if is fascinating how much of our perceptions that are neurologically hard-wired. I have to look into this more.....

14. in stitches

:cheers:

inobroino. :)

thanks! and yes, thanks to rob and YHNT i have a fantastic navy vicuna tie. loves it i do.

interesting indeed, and i agree. i think a lot of the things that really boil down to personal preference have a lot to do with a combination of hard wiring and what we have come to see in our surroundings that has become normalized. when things step out of that, often people have a tendency to view something as off, because it does not fit in with what their brain has programmed.

thanksfully, my brain is super un-programmed, so i can appreciate much more than the average brainiac.

15. kulata

kulata Senior member

Cross post from the challenge

13 people like this.
  16. StanleyVanBuren

StanleyVanBuren Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Epaulet suit
    mtm shirt
    T&A tie
    Bexley shoes​

9 people like this.
  17. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

good afternoon gents
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  18. in stitches

19. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

20. in stitches

very nice, very cool, but id like to see the actual non filtered pics again plox.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.