• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOF: What Are You Wearing Right Now - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

upr_crust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Love the collar pin and the peak lapels on the suit! I was wondering, how do you select a pair of cufflinks from your vast collection every morning? Do you try to make sure they complement your tie for example, or do you just pick whatever strikes your fancy at that particular moment?

Thanks. Today's shirt is part of a new batch of MTM shirts with eyelet contrast collars and cuffs - an eccentricity of mine.

As for your question, I do try to pick cufflinks that complement the color of my tie, or my attire in general, but, equally, I also try to rotate through my collection as much as is possible. Today's cufflinks I chose, as I thought that white metal (in this case, sterling silver) went better with the grey/white/blue/purple color scheme of today's suit/shirt/tie. I also haven't worn them in a while, and am fond of them.

wrwhiteknight

Reaction score
So, this is my first brown suit, and I'm wondering whether this combination works. Should I have gone with a navy tie perhaps?
The suit looks great. A deep purple, navy blue, mauve, or deep red (not burgundy) tie would look best.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Indeed; much better, I'd say. And more evidence to support my feeling that "all solids" is not necessarily synonymous with the highest level of elegance.

To Monkeyface: dark brown suits are hard to pull off. I've yet to see one I really love, though some are nice enough. Caramel coloured solid linen though, I can get on board something like that (even then, I would personally prefer a paler tan or beige/cream).

Last edited:

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed; much better, I'd say. And more evidence to support my feeling that "all solids" is not necessarily synonymous with the highest level of elegance.

To Monkeyface: dark brown suits are hard to pull off. I've yet to see one I really love, though some are nice enough. Caramel coloured solid linen though, I can get on board something like that (even then, I would personally prefer a paler tan or beige/cream).
True, it's hard, but I think a solid blue or ecru shirt would make it a little easier to pull off. Anyway, I like the suit enough to wear it once in a while, as it fits flawlessly. Besides, I like experimenting to see what works for me and what doesn't, and €75 for such a nice suit really is quite the bargain. I think once I've played around a little with different combinations I'll be able to pull it off just fine though
smile.gif
The linen tie looks great with a navy jacket btw.

Last edited:

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Pingson - that rocks. Understated elegance for sure. Mimo - I don''t mind the occasional whimsical touch such as contrasting button holes, even if they do constitute a SF felony. Wouldn't be a mainstay choice, but particularly in light of the convervative nature of the rest of the ensemble, it looks just fine to me.
Pink shirt and red tie, can be hard to pull off but I'm happy with this. Both from TM Lewin. Hugo Boss suit. Armani watch. Canali belt.
The absence of a jacket is the bigger issue. A tie without a jacket is 100% sin. Unless you're a waiter. I wore a reddish tie with a pink shirt today, too, plus other details (!), but it needed a grey suit to sit quietly together and get some harmony. That tie or yours, however, would not sit quietly unless shot. Twice.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The absence of a jacket is the bigger issue. A tie without a jacket is 100% sin. Unless you're a waiter. I wore a reddish tie with a pink shirt today, too, plus other details (!), but it needed a grey suit to sit quietly together and get some harmony. That tie or yours, however, would not sit quietly unless shot. Twice.
You have a way with words. Needless to say, 100% right as well.

I think that tie would be bad no matter what it was with and needs to be lost. The combo of the obnoxious red and shine it's got makes it look like a target tie.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quote:
Yep, I have a similar coloured linen tie so I can definitely go with that.

75 euros for a well-fitting suit is a definite bargain, even if you only wear the suit occasionally. This is going to sound like heresy on this board, but if it has an aggressively modern fit, I wonder whether it would work with a white deep v-neck T shirt underneath, and something like boat shoes or tennis shoes.

If it's a more traditionally fitting suit, then I do like the idea of the solid ecru shirt. Paired with a dark coloured tie with a small pattern on it, it could look very nice. Something like a forest green, perhaps as well as the dark navy. Dark brown shoes, I think. I don't really fancy it with a solid tie, given the irreverent & fun colour, but I have weird ideas on pattern-coordination, as you all know!

Pingson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Classic and Splendid.

Pingson - that rocks. Understated elegance for sure. Mimo - I don''t mind the occasional whimsical touch such as contrasting button holes, even if they do constitute a SF felony. Wouldn't be a mainstay choice, but particularly in light of the convervative nature of the rest of the ensemble, it looks just fine to me.

Went to my daughters' end of school celebration, so I thought a suit was called for (although not all agreed with me, apparently):

This is excellent, in fact I would say it is even better than your entry for last week's challenge.

Went to my daughters' end of school celebration, so I thought a suit was called for (although not all agreed with me, apparently):

This is excellent, in fact I would say it is even better than your entry for last week's challenge.

Thanks for all the kind comments, much appreciated. Re: last weeks outfit, I agree I like this one better and it also shows how incredibly hard it is to nail an all solid fit. There were a few really good attempts in the contest though.

Thanks, Roger.  I vacillate rather on these things; sometimes I can't resist an almost offensively quirky little touch, other times it has to be vanilla.  But yes, I agree it's better in an otherwise conservative context.

+1 on Pingson; can't remember anything I don't like from this guy!  And it's always appropriate and necessary, Ping, keep your standards - well done!

:fistbump:

My earlier jab at your contrast buttonholes was not all that serious :). I can agree that sometimes an odd quirky thing may add spice to an outfit. My main problem is that nowadays many people just overload their outfits - contrast buttons and buttonholes, back blades of ties longer than front blades, unbuttoned buckles on shoes, all kinds of crap on their wrists etc etc. I have come to the point where I am almost allergic to that. Very few people can pull even one of those things off.....

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Brown suits and off white/ecru/cream shirts are great friends.

+1. also, monkey, i dont really see the check working there, just my opinion. but i LOVE the suit.

Nice windowpane suit sb; don't see too many of them around, but I do like them. Good shirt/tie combo for it too.

+1

pingson, HC and SB, nice fits.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wedding in chicago yesterday. no full fit as this suit no longer fits right. i guess i did lose weight.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
While I like your outfit, I would have gone with a solid suit and a wedding tie. That looks a little too "business" to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads